“Golfer/Yosemite, why not Wawona” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wawona Golf Course
Fresno, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Golfer/Yosemite, why not Wawona”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Golfer in Yosemite...the Wawona course is nine holes, playing eighteen from different tees...mountain course through trees and glens [check course for open months]...for the non golfers, what is better than relaxing on the veranda of the Wawona Hotel...

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Calif_wino

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun and unassuming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Let me say that I played at Wawona every Fathers' Day for 20 years, from age 8 to 27. So my experience is part nostalgia, part memories with my father, and part simple good times.

The course is by no means championship. But then again, you're missing the point of Yosemite if you're expecting one. You're doing something right if you lose track of your ball while marveling that it didn't go higher than the redwoods.

It's a fun course, full of quirks. You'd better hit it straight - any unruly fade or draw can result in a sound resembling woodpeckers. Keep some old cut-up balls for the particularly narrow drives. One hole even has an old periscope at the tee box, an ominous reminder of the sizable knoll your drive needs to clear.

In the end, this course can be a wonderful addition to your trip, but it's certainly not a destination. Just bring some cigars, maybe some bourbon in a flask, and have a good time.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Andrew B
Birmingham, Alabama
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Honestly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

we stopped her on the way to see the redwoods.as we entered the hotel to dine we were told they were closed for awhile.we loved the green lawn in front and the people in the pool.we sat in the wooden chairs in the shade and relaxed.we went to the golf shop and ordered sandwiches drinks and ice cream.they were very good.it was a great inexpensie meal like a picnic.the blue birds came and begged for food.there was a breeze and sitting by the pool was relaxing

Visited August 2012
3 Thank rebelwebb
Ohio, USA
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 786 helpful votes
“Getting a great golf fix in a National Park setting….Priceless!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

During our tour through Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite, we had a one-night stay at the Wawona Hotel. As our only planned activity in that area was exploring the Mariposa Grove, I figured that I would have time to squeeze in at least 9-holes at the historic Wawona Golf Course. Since we hiked through the grove during the afternoon that we arrived, I opted to try for an early morning round the following morning, provided that I could get out early and that the course was not crowded. Turned out that I did, and it wasn’t. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

When we arrived at the Wawona Hotel, we drove right past part of the course. There were several folks playing on this early Sunday afternoon in late June, but the course was certainly not packed. The conditions looked pretty good as viewed from the road. As I was walking to the hotel, I passed a few guys who had just come off the course and asked what they thought of the track. “Outstanding”, “great course”, “lots of fun”; OK, I’m sold. After check-in at the hotel, we scooted immediately to the Mariposa Grove, so I did not have a chance to scope out the golf shop before we left and it was closed by the time we returned. It will be a roll of the dice in the morning.

The golf shop does not open until 8:00 AM, so I had no idea if I could get out until I walked in. As I was walking over, there was one other hacker making his way to the number one tee, but no one else around, so my odds looked good. When I walked in the lady at the counter asked if I had the 8:00 AM tee-time. “No, but I’ll take it!” She indicated that I could get out right away and that there was only the one guy in front of me. Perfect!

I had to rent or buy all the gear, as I had brought nothing with me. The rental clubs were new, but not name brand. But they were more than serviceable for a bogey golfer. Clubs, pull-cart, balls, tees and greens fees for 9-holes came to $68 dollars; not that bad considering. While there are riding carts, I came to the parks to hike, and I much prefer to walk when golfing anyway. I was on my way down the hill and across the road to the number one tee about 8:20. Not another golfer in sight. I took my time and enjoyed the round and the scenery but I was still back at the clubhouse by 9:45.

Wawona is a very nice course, with a nice variety of holes. Again, it is only a nine-hole layout, but there are two sets of tees to make an 18-hole track. The first couple of holes are out in the open, but then the character of the course becomes more tree-lined and park-style. There is some elevation change with a few of the holes, some uphill, and some down. Plus is it a very scenic track. I saw a few critters (mule deer, squirrels and several birds) and heard a few others (the thumping call of the Blue Grouse).

Overall it is a very playable track, particularly if you hit the ball straight (but aren’t they all!). A few holes require decent length off the tee, but it is not a course that you have to try to overpower. The greens are not overly fast, but they were in great shape and rolled very nicely. Tee boxes were all well maintained. The bunkers were a little rough and not consistent in terms of the sand, but still not too bad. I can only recall one sort of blind shot (the tee shot on number 7, I think); otherwise the course in right there in front of you.

I liked the course and would certainly play it again. I thought it was very walkable. Again, some up and down, but not that much. The distances from green to the next tee were usually very short (there was only one walk that was “long”).

Wawona is a fun course and you cannot beat the setting. I enjoyed my 9-hole round. I would not say it was a “must play” but for the novelty of playing in a National Park setting, on a historic course, it is a great experience.

Visited June 2012
6 Thank OhioHick
Groveland, CA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A FUN LITTLE COURSE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

This course does not compete with your grand championship courses, but it is fun to play, and challenging. The fairways are narrow, with forest on either side (jail), and the greens are slow (hard to get used to). But, you'll have a great time. It's a 9 hole course, which has separate tees for playing twice in a round. You'll probably have to wait for the deer to cross, but you'll want to come back to play again and again.

Visited October 2011