“Amazing Experience for Our Family!”

YExplore Yosemite Adventures - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$135.00*
and up
Private Guided Hiking Tour in Yosemite
More attraction details
Owner description: The only Yosemite Tour Company offering custom guided Yosemite experiences (Adventure Hikes, Half Dome Hikes, Multi Day Backpack Trips, Nature Walks, Birding Walks, Wildflower Walks, Snowshoe Hikes and Photography Workshops) 12 months a year. We guarantee smaller group sizes for a more personalized experience with our professional guides who are all local to Yosemite. We are a socially responsible company providing educational services that follow Leave No Trace principles to minimize our impact in nature to ensure that the ecology of the park will not be compromised. Custom Adventures, Workshops and Family Activities are available to Individuals and Groups of all ages and experience levels in every season.
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had an amazing 6 hour hike through the snow to Inspiration Point with YExplore owner John over our spring break. He paced the hike perfectly for our family with young children and adults, taught us about plants, flowers, trees and more and gave us an inside look at the amazing National Park. I cannot recommend YExplore enough! We will book with them again when we come back to visit Half Dome!

All reviews
"half dome hike"
in 16 reviews
"guide john"
in 5 reviews
"intermediate hike"
"skill level"
in 5 reviews
"sentinel dome and taft point"
in 12 reviews
"the entire trip"
"meeting point"
"an unforgettable experience"

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Just had a six hour hike around Yosemite Valley with John. I had the greatest time. John was knowledgeable about the history, wildlife and ecology of the valley. It was well worth the time. Best of all John enjoys what he does and it shows. He is an enthusiastic guide who knows the valley very well. We went off the usual paths which made it more interesting. I will definitely with YExplore again.

3  Thank VBD888
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Went on 4 hour photography guided workshop with Robb recently.It was such a wonderful experience to have such a knowledgeable photographer share his skills so well that I felt it cleared up many technical skills in photography that I've wanted addressed. He was not only attentive,knowledgeable, and fun but new great places to shoot. I was enjoying myself so much shooting that I lost track of time at our last stop realizing I had to go the sun had set . I never write reviews but felt inclined to do so in this situation so that others could share in such a wonderful day. I know you will have fun……..enjoy.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Hiked with Matteo up Mount Conness. Matteo was very personable and a lot of fun. Camped out, ate great food (some of it was caught from Young Lakes) and generally had a great time. Highly recommended.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We used YExplore for an overnight family backpack trip to Young Lakes in late August 2013. My wife and I took our 10 year old daughter and 12 year old son. We felt it was important to get off the beaten path, away from the crowds, pavement and development of Yosemite Valley, to make sure our kids had a meaningful experience engaging directly with nature. YExplore definitely delivered. This was our first real backpacking trip, and back home in Chicago we don’t even have hills let alone real mountains, so I worried that this hike might be more than we could handle. But we had a wonderful time! I believe the best measure is that both our kids, after hauling 12-15 pound backpacks across rugged and sometimes steep terrain for 13 miles, announced an enthusiastic 5 star rating – and they want to do it again!

Catherine, the YExplore operations manager, did a remarkable job preparing us for the trip. She put together a thoughtful and delicious menu that accommodated one gluten free person (my wife) and one peanut allergy (my son). Catherine called me several times in advance of the trip to go over menu choices, equipment, trip planning, etc. We had to bring water bottles/bladders, backpacks, sleeping bags and sleeping pads. YExplore provided the rest of the equipment and all the food.

The first day, we hiked 6.7 miles, with about 2,100 foot elevation gain, leaving Tuolomne Meadows around 11am and getting to Lower Young Lake a little after 5pm. Catherine’s husband John was our guide, and he did a terrific job of adjusting the pace of our hike to match our abilities. He never rushed us, and built in a lot of time for resting, chatting, snacking and taking in the spectacular views. John engaged our kids throughout the hike, telling them about the trees, wildlife, and mountains. His charming demeanor won my kids over quickly, and his love of the outdoors was infectious.

About half way up, the wind shifted and we got hit with smoke from the Rim Fire. The fire itself was far away and presented no direct danger to us, but the smoke was unpleasant, potentially hazardous to breathe, and obscured our views. John calmly and fully informed my wife and me about our options – we could proceed with the hike as planned, or redirect back down to the Meadow to camp for the night. I mention it because the gracious and thoughtful manner in which John handled this is a reflection of how he handled the entire trip.

Fortunately, we decided to proceed. The smoke cleared in a few hours, and we were rewarded with a beautifully clear nighttime sky brilliant with stars. We awoke to a stunning sunrise that illuminated Ragged Peak looming over our campsite, reflected perfectly in the glass-smooth lake. Only one other couple was camped on the other side of the lake that night, and they left shortly after sunrise so we had place to ourselves. We spent the morning scrambling and exploring around Young Lakes. John and I swapped photography tips. The scenery was breathtaking in the morning light – something you can only experience by camping overnight. And with the smoke gone, the hike back down to the Meadows was magnificent. We broke camp about 11:30am, and at a comfortable pace got back to the parking lot before 4pm. The Young Lakes hike was very pretty, and we encountered very few people on the trail. I highly recommend YExplore!