“Very dated and in need of updating”

Terrace Brook Lodge
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Springdale
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed here for two nights and to be honest we were a little reluctant to stay after initially seeing the place. We only stayed in the end because there were no other vacancies in the area; the whole place seemed to be full.

The good points are that it’s in a quite a central location for all the amenities in the area. To get into Zion Park itself you have to use one of the frequent shuttle buses that constantly come up and down the main road and the bus stops are in walking distance. There is also a large supermarket across the road and as this place is self catering, you have the option of being able to cook for yourself. We had the room immediately above the reception area with views looking out onto the main drag. There are also many restaurants up and down the road, all of which can be easily reached from here on foot.

Breakfast was also provided which is taken in the reception area downstairs. I can’t comment on what the breakfast was like as we never bothered going down for it. Judging by what I saw when we checked in, there was a juice machine, coffee and a toaster, so I guess you can work out roughly what the breakfast would consist of.

Another good point would be the free Wi-Fi. You are given an access code when you check in and we found the service from this quite reliable and fast. There is also free parking further up the drive way as you come in. You are also given some 10% discounts for restaurants in the area and we found them to be perfectly fine.

The bad points as alluded to above would be to do with the initial appearance of the place. If you are unsure about staying here, just ask to see the room first and make your choice from that veiwing. We did this and our first impressions wasn’t overwhelming. For a start the place is very dated and this isn’t a deliberate style choice. The photos I’ve included don’t quite convey the 80’s style of the place, but that’s pretty much how it is. The place is relatively clean and tidy but there is a real sense of wear and tear. Curtains don’t work or fit properly, the settee has seen better days, the kitchen lacks a few necessities and could do with a kettle at least.

A toiletry pack is provided in the bathroom with things in there that have past their sell by date. Towels are a little worn. There’s lots of that kind of thing going on. There is a sense of reluctance to bring this place right up to modern standards. The Asian couple running the place are friendly and he will talk a good game in trying to convince you what a bargain he is offering, but don’t be afraid to haggle a better deal if you can. There are some wooden steps leading to the front door and to be frank, they have seen better days and its only a matter of time before, shall we say a heavier person ends up putting their foot through them. The battery warning noise from the smoke alarm went off whilst we were there and we notified the cleaner about this and nothing was done. On leaving I mentioned to the owner that the battery was dead in the smoke alarm and that the wooden steps weren’t that safe but he didn’t seem too concerned and instead went into our room to check that we’d left it in a reasonable condition.

Overall, I’d say it was just OK and nothing special at all. The whole place needs a thorough modernising and I don’t think would get much custom if there were plenty of vacancies in the area.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first before staying.
2  Thank TravelPad

Reviewed 29 May 2011

Great location right near Zion National Park and restaurants/cafes in town. We stayed 2 nights over Memorial Day weekend, and slept fantastically both nights - it was quiet and the bed was quite comfortable. We also spent a few hours one day lounging by the pool and reading - the chairs are in the shade and we enjoyed relaxing outdoors, although we didn't swim in the pool. We never made it up in time for the free breakfast (we're not morning people), but there is a free breakfast every morning. We would recommend the Terrace Brook Lodge.

Reviewed 23 May 2011

Shower leakage , low water volume.
Carpet close to shower was wet and dirty
Curtons and bedsheets were full of stains.
Bad smell in the room.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this poor quality hotel
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The only thing in favour of this motel is its location in Springdale, we arrived late in afternoon everwhere else booked out otherwise we wouldn't have stayed. The carpets are dirty , we had to tie the curtains together as they wouldn't slide on rail. The so called breakfast is non existent. My biggest gripe is the rude owner who only spoke in abrupt one word answers. While I was booking in he was on the phone speaking in a foreign language after snaching my credit card he kept me waiting for 15 minutes during this time I was completely ignored I asked him either check us in or return my card he continued conversation and made hand gestures toward me. After repeated requests from me he set the phone down booked me in without speaking a word returned my card and resumed his phone conversation.

Reviewed 9 May 2011

Pretty gross. Carpet was dirty. Walls are cinder block. Breakfast isn't worth the walk to the front desk.
No reachable outlets.
There are lots of hotels in this town. Stay at one of those.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 1 May 2011

This was the grossest hotel I have ever stayed in, bar none. The bathroom was miniscule and horribly outdated. We refused to even take a shower in what was supposed to be a shower. The bathroom floor was sticky. The TV remote didn't work and the picture wasn't great. There were spider web in the window, the carpet was stained and I was afraid of what was between the sheets. The owner wanted $165 for this nightmare but with a tired child I needed a room and talked him to $125.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Go to another town
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Booked a room over the phone for 3nights at $70 a night. Seemed fine, however when we arrived the following night he told us he had given that room away but would sell us another one for $130 a night! he reckoned my credit card had declined and couldn't be bothered to call me. He then gave me a huge lecture on using dodgy credit cards and trying to defraud him!! Slept the night in my car and stayed following nights in another motel - my credit card worked there fine no problem funnily enough

• Stayed: April 2011