We stayed here for two nights and to be honest we were a little reluctant to stay after initially seeing the place. We only stayed in the end because there were no other vacancies in the area; the whole place seemed to be full.
The good points are that it’s in a quite a central location for all the amenities in the area. To get into Zion Park itself you have to use one of the frequent shuttle buses that constantly come up and down the main road and the bus stops are in walking distance. There is also a large supermarket across the road and as this place is self catering, you have the option of being able to cook for yourself. We had the room immediately above the reception area with views looking out onto the main drag. There are also many restaurants up and down the road, all of which can be easily reached from here on foot.
Breakfast was also provided which is taken in the reception area downstairs. I can’t comment on what the breakfast was like as we never bothered going down for it. Judging by what I saw when we checked in, there was a juice machine, coffee and a toaster, so I guess you can work out roughly what the breakfast would consist of.
Another good point would be the free Wi-Fi. You are given an access code when you check in and we found the service from this quite reliable and fast. There is also free parking further up the drive way as you come in. You are also given some 10% discounts for restaurants in the area and we found them to be perfectly fine.
The bad points as alluded to above would be to do with the initial appearance of the place. If you are unsure about staying here, just ask to see the room first and make your choice from that veiwing. We did this and our first impressions wasn’t overwhelming. For a start the place is very dated and this isn’t a deliberate style choice. The photos I’ve included don’t quite convey the 80’s style of the place, but that’s pretty much how it is. The place is relatively clean and tidy but there is a real sense of wear and tear. Curtains don’t work or fit properly, the settee has seen better days, the kitchen lacks a few necessities and could do with a kettle at least.
A toiletry pack is provided in the bathroom with things in there that have past their sell by date. Towels are a little worn. There’s lots of that kind of thing going on. There is a sense of reluctance to bring this place right up to modern standards. The Asian couple running the place are friendly and he will talk a good game in trying to convince you what a bargain he is offering, but don’t be afraid to haggle a better deal if you can. There are some wooden steps leading to the front door and to be frank, they have seen better days and its only a matter of time before, shall we say a heavier person ends up putting their foot through them. The battery warning noise from the smoke alarm went off whilst we were there and we notified the cleaner about this and nothing was done. On leaving I mentioned to the owner that the battery was dead in the smoke alarm and that the wooden steps weren’t that safe but he didn’t seem too concerned and instead went into our room to check that we’d left it in a reasonable condition.
Overall, I’d say it was just OK and nothing special at all. The whole place needs a thorough modernising and I don’t think would get much custom if there were plenty of vacancies in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terrace Brook Lodge, Utah is located only one mile from the south entrance to Zion National Park on Highway SR9. The beautiful setting of the Lodge offers a park-like atmosphere and panoramic views of Zion Canyon. The Lodge is with easy driving distance to mountain skiing, Las Vegas gaming, year-round golfing, water skiing and some of the most spectacular geological attractions in the world. Make Terrace Brook Lodge your home base to see Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, North Rim Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Terrace Brook Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terrace Brook Hotel Springdale
- Terrace Brook Motel
- Terrace Brook Lodge Springdale, Utah