“Spotted Dog Shines” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spotted Dog Cafe

Spotted Dog Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Spotted Dog Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Springdale
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Healthy, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, View, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Irvine, California
“Spotted Dog Shines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited the Spotted Dog on July 4th for my son's birthday dinner celebration. I have been to many restaurants in Springdale and Spotted Dog is among the best.

We were tempted to sit outside but as we arrived there were some clouds moving into the area. I inquired about an outdoor table and the staff member took a look at the sky and suggested we sit inside due to pending thunderstorm. The rain arrived about 20 min. later so we were glad to be indoors.

The hostess was friendly but did not seem to be enjoying her job. She seated us right away even though we were about 15 minutes early for our reservation. We ended up at a table with some great views of the surrounding hills leading into Zion Canyon.

The server was prompt getting to us and greeted us with an offer of beverages while we looked over the menu. I know this is expected but did not happen at another restaurant we visited in Springdale. They have a nice wine list but we chose to order some beer. The Polygamy Porter is excellent and locally (Utah) brewed.

I started with the Beet and Blue Cheese Salad. The quality of the ingredients was top notch and the combination of nuts, blue cheese and beets along with the fresh greens made for a great start.

I decided to try the Gourmet Game Meatloaf, wife and son had steak and my other son had a buffalo burger. The meatloaf is certainly different than typical meat loft and I found it great with a unique flavor due to the mixture of meats. The mashed potatoes were just right and the vegetables were done perfectly with a surprising mild curry flavor. The steaks were tender and my son thought especially flavorful for filet. The buffalo burger was also very tasty. An unexpected hit were the deep fried mashed potatoes that came with the steaks. I don't know if you can get them as a side dish but when I go back I will try assuming they have not been rotated off the menu as they indicated the menu changes with the seasons.

After dinner we were offered a selection of deserts (5 or 6). My wife and a son chose one each and said they were good.

Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive or missing as we enjoyed our meal. The waiters assistant was all smiles and seemed to enjoy presenting the desert selections to us.

The only complaint was my wife ordered a medium rare steak which had to be sent back as it arrived very rare.

So overall:
Food- Excellent except for the steak having to be sent back to get it medium rare.
Service - Very good but not outstanding.
Value - Prices were very reasonable for the quality delivered.

I highly recommend this place for dinner.

• Visited July 2014

Stonington, Connecticut
“Excellent service, nice location and menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Spotted Dog was a nice choice for our family. It is a more upscale place but has a nice, well priced kids' menu. There is a good wine list with a range of prices. The menu changes frequently I understand, but the lamb shank was good. The steak was a bit too garlicky. I gave the food only four stars because while it was good and I would go to this restaurant t again, I expected a bit more. The service was excellent

Visited July 2014
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Great Place to Eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our family of four recently ate at the Spotted Dog after reviewing some local on-line reviews. It was a classy place with excellent food, probably one of our top two or three dinners in a ten day trip. We ate outside on the patio, had excellent food, and excellent service. We highly recommend it.

• Visited June 2014
Saratoga Springs, ny
“It's all good here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a delicious dinner here. They were able to accommodate "gluten-free' with ease, and had knowledgeable key staff. My vegetarian husband was also happy with his options. We sat outside to enjoy the beautiful view of Zion's, the Watchman. Nice plantings and hummingbirds added to the ambience. Inside, the restaurant's dining rooms were nicely designed. If we had found this place on our first evening in Springdale, we would have come back.

• Visited June 2014
Austin, Texas
“Seek nourishment elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

After two great meals in Springdale we were excited to try the Spotted Dog. But a disappointing experience throughout.
Most importantly, the food was overpriced and of poor quality. It lacked flavor and was poorly prepared. The hyped bison burger was overcooked, dry and tasteless. Service was also mediocre - our only experience in Springdale where we were treated like tourist. Many better options in Springdale.

Visited July 2014