“They even laid on an eclipse for us...”
Review of Driftwood Lodge

Driftwood Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Springdale
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“They even laid on an eclipse for us...”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We'd been recommended the Best Western hotel in Springdale by a friend, but as circumstance would have it (and retrospectively, luck), they were full.

This was around halfway through our west coast tour, and it was only by chance that we realised that when we reached Zion, we would be right at the centre of the ring of fire eclipse. Our journey from Death Valley to Zion was therefore fraught with worries about whether we'd make it in time, and even what time the eclipse was. Coming from California, Pacific Time, we'd not realised that crossing into Utah took us forward one hour, so suddenly we had an hour less to do everything.

I hurriedly checked into the lodge, as it seemed that our makeshift pinhole camera was indicating that the eclipse had started, and as luck would have it, right outside our room, where I'd parked the Chelsea Tractor (for two of us, it really was HUGE), I was able to set up my camera on it's tripod, and follow the eclipse. I won't bore you with eclipse details on what is supposed to be a hotel review, except to say that for the journey from San Francisco to Springdale, and mention of eclipse glasses was met with a look of disdain, and a "what do you want THOSE for"? But at Springdale, suddenly there was a recognition of how valuable these were, and during the eclipse, Jeff, the head chef, came over, lent us his glasses, and had a really nice chat with us.

OK, eclipse, and chat with Jeff over for now, we checked out our lodge. It was lovely and spacious, with a large seating area & TV, and a large round table for using laptops etc. This large area was connected by a narrow kitchen-like area, to the main bedroom, which itself was connected to the bath/shower & toilet by a sliding door. My only fault with these rooms was that to wash your hands after using the look, you either had to bend down and use the bath taps, or go back through the sliding door to use the kitchen area. I found the lack of a washbasin odd, and moreso, when you realised that this meant you had to shave in the kitchen.

Apart from that, this was a beautiful place. We went to the restaurant, had a magnificent couple of steaks, and Jeff came out and spoke to us once more, checking that everything was to our satisfaction. It certainly was, and for the second time on this trip, I began to realise that one night was not long enough here.

All-in-all, I utterly recommend this place - we'd definitely go back. And their placement of the eclipse could not have been better (it 'set' behind the hills a little after totality - see my pics) ! ;-)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I have eaten at the Driftwood several times. They have outside seating surround by views of Zion National Park along with green meadows and trees. It is peaceful enough to see deer come in to have a meal of their own. The inside seating is in a room surround by windows on three sides which give you some of the same views. We have had meals for the two of us and meals for large groups, they have all been wonderful. Good place to add to you vacation!

Room Tip: We live in the area so I really can't rate anything except the dinning.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Great views from every room. Rooms are very large for the price. Very clean, good beds and rooms are designed well, even the least priced room. Good office staff. The only poor thing is that the air conditioner is a wall unit and it doesn't always cool the room adequately since the blanket is quite heavy. The A/C had to be on all night and was quite noisy. If heat doesn't bother you, then the A/C won't be an issue, but we seem to like the room colder than most. Bus to Zion is right across the street. Refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave in the room.
I highly recommend this inn.

Room Tip: All locations are good. The ones on the north side offer the best view, but they are more expensive...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Ortisei, Italy
Reviewed 29 May 2012

If you want to relax, feel real good and enjoy Zion National Park I do recommend the Driftwood Lodge; it is situated perfectly: in a large very quite green area with very well kept gardens all around the various buildings that house the rooms, and right where the Park bus stops, therefore making it very easy to reach both the town's center and the Zion Park's bus. The rooms are great and clean either with a terrace or a balcony, the owner and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I was there in May 2012 with two friends and as we felt so well there we decided to extend our stay. We are convinced that it is the best STAY one can get in Springdale and surroundings.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Washington State
Reviewed 29 May 2012

To-date I have not been impressed with Springdale hotels given the prices charged. Driftwood Lodge is the best so far. I was very happy with the decor of our suite, the views, the big garden, access to the river, big windows that opened, the pool, and the location,

The bedroom in our King suite was perfect - beautifully decorated with a lovely view from the big window. However, the layout of the suite was not good. The living room was small. The kitchen area (microwave, frig) was in the bedroom. If I was up early I could not use the kitchen without disturbing my partner. The kitchen area had the bathroom sink but the bathroom itself was on the other side of the bedroom. The bathroom was small but sufficient.

Staff were friendly but not exceptional. When we went to dinner the hostess was in the restaurant having a chat so it was alkward situation. The bar staff did not engage in letting us know what to do - wait until the hostess came back or find our own table.

The restaurant was ambitious in its menu but the results were not so great. I can't recommend the food but we loved sitting outside looking across the field at the moon rising over the Zion cliffs.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Shillington pa
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Stayed at the Driftwood Lodge for 4 nights May 19-23rd. First let me say that my mother passed away unexpectedly in April, we had this trip planned for a while and decided to go, although I was a little hesitant. The Driftwood Lodge was such a wonderful surprise. We were in room 302 King Room, with a beautiful view. I found such peace in Zion and the Driftwood. I will admit, I am a bit fussy about accomodations but there is not one thing I could complain about. The room and bathroom was very nice, and updated with a wonderful style, quiet, peaceful, and our room was taken care of daily. We had a microwave and fridge in our room which were brand new. I just can't say enough about this place. We had planned 2 nights in Las Vegas, we had never been there, but thought we should experience it, what a mistake, we really wished we could have stayed the 2 additional nights at the Driftwood, what a gem!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeachGal2011
New York
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Great welcome upon check in.
Rooms are great, nicely decorated with taste, modern feel like with nice color scheme Stunning view of Zion Canyon
Top notch bedding with great pillow set.Towels size are too small, no bathrobe.
Erratic wifi that constantly drop ....

Lovely garden, a pool is set in the middle, pool chairs are not comfortable no mattress whatsoever you lay directly on the plastic with one small towel ...

Dinner experience is nice, you are told by the staff that this is the best restaurant in the region competing with Vegas.
They give you a coupon for a free starter if you order 2 entrees.... tacky marketing to me.
hmmmm they should take their chef to Vegas for a few meals

Setting is stunning !
Menu selection is not large, no daily specials every dish ordered was good but nothing to write home about.
We did try the spotted dog in town which was packed, less pretentious with better quality food great wine selection so overall a far better culinary experience.

Went for breakfast the following morning, and this was a huge disappointment.

menu is poor, no danish,pastries, croissants no freshly squeezed juices, no homemade jam, decent butter.
Tea selection is poor, eggs benefits took 25 mn to reach us and service is the worst I have experienced in years for breakfast.
The evening dinner team should do a proper training there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends