“Broken Promises” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Springdale
minneapolis
“Broken Promises”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2008

I made reservations in April for a room with a balcony. When I arrived (in September), they told me that there was a "maintenance" problem with the room and they had to move me. The room they gave me had NO ATMOSPHERE - not even a picture on the wall, NO VIEW but lots of noise from the water sprinklers and it resembled a garage with beds. When I complained, the concierge said: "If you don't like it, leave; find someplace else, and there is no place else in Springdale, everything is booked." Zion National Park is gorgeous, the surrounding area is too, and I planned and anticipated this trip for months. There are so many tourists in that area of Utah that many business owners must feel we are all interchangeable and replaceable. But to remove all kindness and sympathy from your interactions with guests is sad news. I would never stay in the Driftwood again on principle, even if there were no other rooms in Springdale available.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the dismissive attitude of staff and the fact no one made any attempt to rectify the situation
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank hfool

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Korean first
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

What a disappointment.! The double room where we stayed was dark, dirty, and outdated. Their were large white goopy stains on all three chairs in the room. The light fixtures were full of bugs and within the first ten minutes of our stay we killed four bugs in the bathroom. Yes, the patio has an incredible view but you can't see the patio from the room. You must go out a back door to get to the patio. The room itself only has one window, and it faces the parking lot so you loose your privacy if you leave the curtain open. The reception area is gorgeous and rightly the website takes great care to describe how wonderful it is, but don't be fooled into thinking this is indicative of what your room will look like.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The dark, dirty, outdated room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank happytobeoutdoors
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

Stayed two nights. We really enjoyed this place. Nice pool. The scenery from our patio was very nice. Stayed in the Queen Deluxe rooms.

• Liked — Location and scenery
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

The good: Rooms / The Very Bad: Service!!

Spacious rooms!! The renovated rooms are very nice but decorated more for an urban setting. I was there for my wedding and all of our guests' rooms were nice and LARGE. Perfect views from the "100" wing!!! Housekeeping staff was great, attentive and friendly, serene setting, pool & river access were great features

Management!! Ultimately I had several issues with my stay 1) my parents were told they would have to change rooms multiple times (and PAY more for the new rooms!) when they had specifically changed their reservation to a smaller room to avoid having to move. 1) I could not show up for the first night, they charged me regardless despite staying four nights and having about 8 rooms in house for my wedding.

The staff were powerless to help me with the issue with my parents, and the manager was insistent that I had upset one of her staff when I tried to see if she could help me "my staff does not have the authority to deal with that, you have to wait until I'm available and come to me!"....hm... so they would rather frustrate guests than empower employees? strike one and two.

After a lot of frustration the manager indignantly corrected the issue with my parents but not after a lot of insistence that I was in the wrong. (despite email confirmations to the contrary) Then she insisted that they had done me a favor by "waving" additional guest charges, implying that I had "snuck" guests into rooms when all of our reservations had been made for the actual number of guests from the beginning. After having my family & guests spend thousands at a hotel, I would prefer not to be made to feel like I'm some sort of delinquent (not to mention this was for my wedding!!)

If you're looking for a simple room with a view, take your chances, but if you expect friendly service or anything close to a "hospitable" experience just call them to make your reservation and you'll see what I'm talking about -- stay away!!

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Attitude!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed in a standard room and the room was big and clean. A bit dated and the aircon was really loud.

Nice swimming pool.

The staff, both in the reception and restaurant, were friendly and helpful. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant which were delicious.

Location is great, right next to Zion and there is a shuttle bus going to the park all day.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Surprise, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

We had a pet friendly room with a view out the front window and a view of the Watchman from the back patio (not from the room). This room had not been remodeled and was huge, with 2 beds and a futon. Lots of room. It was clean and comfortable and within easy distance of Zion, which was gorgeous.
The restaurant was a real treat for us. The food was excellent and we were able to sit on the patio with our well behaved dogs under our table.
There were horses and cows in the pastures, and a nice walk down to the Virgin River. We would definitely stay again.

• Liked — The views.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

The advantage is to be at the entrance of Zion National Park (but there are lots of others hotels there). The room and the serviceare standard. Don't expect more.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — everything was "standard"
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)