“A very good experience at the Pioneer Lodge!”

Historic Pioneer Lodge
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Springdale
pennsylvania
“A very good experience at the Pioneer Lodge!”
Reviewed 16 June 2008

We definitely enjoyed our stay here. The room was spacious and laid out to have the feel of a separate kitchen. Most importantly, the bed was very comfortable. The location was excellent; convenient to restaurants, shopping, and the shuttle that takes you to hiking in Zion. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — the bed!
  • Disliked — paying for use of internet in lobby
2 Thank nadine2885

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
Southsea, UK
Reviewed 27 May 2008

This was a lovely stopever, just outside Zion National Park it was clean and the staff were good, it was close to many places to eat and little tourist shops.
There was an internet cafe by reception and even got a goodie bag on the way out!
The room had nice touches - flowers and plants along with nice decor - better than the basic hotel rooms you see on the toursit routes

• Liked — the decor and additional touches
2 Thank Lora21
Columbus, Mississippi
Reviewed 24 May 2008

We throughly enjoyed our stay at the Pioneer Lodge and highly recommend it to anyone visiting Zion National Park. Comfortable beds, a good shower, attractive furnishings, internet access, and an adjoining restaurant made our visit to Zion even more enjoyable.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — toilet tissue
1 Thank kayaknut
Western NYS
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We were originally going to stay at a resort on the east side of Zion and split our time between Zion and Bryce. An unexpected visit from a family member caused us to change our dates and the resort no longer was available. After doing some searches, I landed on Pioneer Lodge, and in hindsight we're glad we made the switch. The facility is impeccably maintained. The management pays attention to the things that make a difference like well maintained flowers, a spotless pool and spa, plenty of towels, well appointed rooms, comfortable beds, coffee maker, minfrig, and microwave.

The location is fantastic. It's a short walk to a number of restaurants or you can take the free shuttle to even more. The shuttle stop is close and it's the best way into the park.

We didn't eat at the lodge restaurant; it's classic American diner food, so if you like that you're set, but we don't so we ended up at Oscars which is as close to a vegetarian restaurant in town as you can get. We also went to the Spotted Dog Cafe which is an upscale restaurant. The food and wine there was delicious but more pricey than the other places in town. We also grabbed a meal at Bumbleberry's across the street our first day. It was classic American diner food.

The downside: Wireless connection was spotty in my room. I ended up carrying my laptop to the Internet cafe. Actually, it's probably better - it forced me to be on vacation rather than checking email. Although we had a coffeemaker, the coffee wasn't replaced everyday. I know I could have gotten some from the front desk, but we were off to the trails early and I didn't want to bother. I went without. Tea would be a nice addition to the coffee service.

We bought groceries for our breakfast & lunch and then eat out for dinner. The refrigerator & microwave made that possible. If we had our preference, we'd prefer a full service kitchen and cook dinner in. If you want to eat in, make sure you pack plates, utensils, etc. The room only contains disposable water and coffee cups. It would be nice to at least have real coffee mugs in the room (include a note that they are available for purchase in the lobby).

Regarding groceries - the best place to buy food is either in the town of LaVerkin or at Sol Foods Market at the Park end of the shuttle run. There are minimarts in town, but the prices are high and selection is limited.

In general, I would recommend this to my friends as a place to stay. It's not perfect, but close to it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Spotty Internet service
2 Thank glojoWesternNYS
St George, Utah
Reviewed 14 May 2008

Recently, my husband and I stayed at the Pioneer Lodge to celebrate our 4 year wedding anniversary. We booked the jaccuzi suite with a King bed. The staff was awesome and friendly. The room was very clean and there was a lot of little personal touches with the towels, soaps and mints. The matching bath robes and slippers were neat as well. The bed was so comfortable that I felt like I was in my own expensive style mattress right at home. The lobby was warm and inviting with a big kozy fireplace with big chairs and the coffee was yummy...I had mine frozen...Thank goodness it was still warm outside. All around I would highly recommend a stay at the Pioneer Lodge. Friendly staff, nice clean rooms and a beautiful view of Zion. That equals 5 stars in my book.

• Liked — Comfortable bed!!!!
  • Disliked — stay was too short
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Northern California
Reviewed 14 May 2008

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Pioneer Lodge while visiting Zion on our way to the Grand Canyon. Wow, what a great surprise! The room was very nicely decorated and the setting was wonderful. The hotel is in walking distance of several nice restaurants, including the Lodge restaurant located right in the parking lot. The staff were extremely friendly and provided helpful information on getting around the park and the town of Springdale. When we return to Zion we will definitely stay at the Pioneer Lodge.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Stone52
Henderson, NV
Reviewed 13 May 2008

My husband and I make a trip to Zion every Valentine Weekend. This past year was our third year, and our second stay at Pioneer. We both love the Pioneer Lodge, the food, and the staff. We have email questions, and have always received a prompt response. The Pioneer Lodge has everything we were looking for, and the rooms are the most welcoming and comfortable in comparison to other hotels we have stayed at. We plan on coming up every year for that weekend, and we plan on continuing to stay at the Pioneer Lodge!!

• Liked — I loved it all!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple