“Better than the expected.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Porini Rhino Camp

Porini Rhino Camp
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Better than the expected.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Mathew made our stay with his attention to detail; the service, the food, the staff...The whole experience. (Just) Bill and Daniel were wonderful guides who took us out on a 11 hour game drive and really made it a great day. The conversation by the fire with the staff and he Maasai warriors each evening was a great way too recap on the day and what we saw. The BEST part ( simple things) were the hot water bottles waiting for you under the covers when you climbed into bed at night.

Room Tip: Get the tent in front of the watering home. Great way to sit, relax and watch the animals come and...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I have been meaning to write this review for some time. In August, I took
an eight night safari with Gamewatchers at three Porini Camps, Amboselli, Lion and Rhino Camps. I will review the others in additional reviews.

I am a single woman who traveled solo. From the beginning, the experience with Porini was professional, easy and completely comfortable. I booked with Julie at Gamewatchers nearly year in advance. She was amazing!

My first stop was in Amboselli. From there, I flew Safari Air to the airstrip that was clost to Old Pejeta. I was picked up by my guides from the Porini Rhino camp. This airstrip was actually in the town vs landing in the park itself. This was interesting because we drove about 20 minutes though various towns in the area. The nice thing is that within 20 minutes you are within the park. It is an additional hour or so to the camp itself.

Rhino Camp itself was my favorite of the Porini Camps because the dininng tent and the other tents are facing a salt field. All kinds of animals go to the salt field. You can sit outside and watch the animals. We watched two male giraffes fight and posture for 30 minutes with zebras and gazelles in the background.

Rhino Camp is really remote and at night you can hear the animals! We took several great game drives. On one game drive, we spotted a lion. Our guides determined that the lion and the lioness were mating. They mate every 15 minutes for 2 weeks. After being patient, the two came out in the open for us to see. This was really unique and thrilling experience. We also saw white and black rhinos which unfortunately are almost extinct. The park that the camp is located in is very special. It isn't as popular as others so you can drive for hours and not see anyone else. This makes spotting the animals more special and authentic then the larger parks where many times you are viewing with other vehicles. On one game drive, we saw a black blob in the distance. Our guides where so good, they spotted it and knnew it was a rhino. I also really liked the giraffes here. They are called reticulated giraffes. They are much prettier than the ones you see in the Mara.

I arrived and for the first night I was the only one at the camp. The camp manager had lunch and dinner with me so I didn't feel alone.

The camp itself is really nice. The "tents" are about 200 square feet with full beds and flushing toilets. You can have warm showers via the bucket shower - The camp staff pours a bucket of water in a contraption outside your tent and you take a shower normally via the plumbing. You only have a bucket so you need turn the showers off when you are soaping up and back on when you are rinsing.

You eat in a community dining area. When I was there, there was a total of 6 of us there. It was fun to sit together and talk to people who love animals and are from all over the world. Food is good. I am a vegetarian and not once did I have a problem having something to eat. They were so accommodating.

We game drived every day and took several night drives which you should not miss. One thing I will say is do NOT miss a game drive. Someone told me this and the one I missed in 8 days ended up being amazing.

What I can say about Porini is they are awesome. They are accommodating, knowledgeable and first class. What I do need to say about my Porini experience is, these camps are for people that love animals and really want an experience. They are nice, not luxerious. There isn't internet or washing facilities. There is weirdly enough cell coverage in the parks and you can wash your clothes in the sink. You hear noises at night (animals). It is very safe but its still Africa in the middle of the bush. Game drives are long compared to other camps which is good since that is why we are there. You are up early everyday since this is the best time to see the animals.

Here are some tips about my trip/stay:

* take planes between camps this saves time
* bring glasses since it is really dusty and you will not want to wear contacts
* If you go during the "winter" USA summer, it is COLD. I had a scarf, gloves and hat and I wore them. It is 40 degrees in the morning and colder as you are in an open air jeep
* Bring deet bug lotion and aways where it
* Dress in layers
* Buy a rolling duffle - the weight limit for the safari planes is 33 lbs total!! This means your carry on too. My duffle wasn't rolling and I regretted it
* Bring a flashlight/headlamp
* Do not bring anything you care about besides a camera - it is so dusty and dirty you will want to get rid of all your clothes at the end of your trip (give to the locals)
* Bring small bills for tipping
* You do not need a lot of clothes - buy the kind you can wash out and they dry fast.
* Wear hiking shoes vs flip flops ( you can step on things or get bitten)
* Bring dramamine if you get motion sickness since the game drives are bumpy
* Ladies - only wear sports bras on the game drives. It is harder on your body then running * Although you will be tired, do not miss a game drive
* Bring disinfectant wipes and wipes for your camera. Yes you go to the bathroom behind a tree a lot
* Bring TP with you on the game drives plus a zip lock bag
* If you can, stop on your way to africa to get acclimated to the time change. So if your plane stops in Istanbul, take a day or two there to get used to the time change
* I took Turkish Air along with many people we met, it was amazing
* I am so passionate about this trip, please email me at vickymann2000@yahoo.com with any questions!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank dogluverSanDiego
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

this was our second porini camp and we loved it just as much as the other two. this camp is special because of the access to the rhinos, black and the nearly extinct white rhinos. also the chimpanzee reserve is not to be missed.
as with the other two camps, the staff is unbelievably friendly and gracious. great drivers and guides. fellow travelers are just wonderful. we met people at all three camps from all over the world.
be forewarned about the rustic nature, bucket showers, no electricity for plug ins, etc. this is made up by the closeness to the wildlife and the intimacy of the setting. no crowds, ever!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mkmd1
Milford, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

This was camp #2 of 4 Porini camps on my trip to Kenya, spending 2 nights at each camp. The Rhino camp was just as exciting as my first camp, with different big game animals and friendly knowledgeable staff. My accommodations included a wonderful large, clean tent with ensuite and everything I would need to make my stay another comfortable one. Because Porini camps are in conservancies there was never a crowd of vehicles surrounding the animals. It was like having a private safari at times. Back at camp at night I got to sit around a campfire with other guests and discuss what we saw during the day. The Maasai staff seemed to anticipate what I would want before I did, refilling glasses, and ready to walk me back to the tent at night. Guides were super.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank judyp0409
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Porini Rhino camp was my first stop for my 6 night Porini camp experience and everything was just perfect.
As a female solo traveller travelling to Africa for the 1st time, I was a bit nervous before arrival. But the moment I step into Rhino camp, I felt like I was back home. All the staff were so nice and I was very well take care of. The night in Rhino camp could be very windy and cold but it was a very pleasant surprise when I went to bed and discovered a hot water bottle there.
The game drive was great and the guide are so knowledgeable. They can “smell” lions from far away!
Special thanks to camp manager Mathew, thanks for the chit chat around the fire and dinner with me so I wouldn’t feel lonely!
Can’t wait to come back next year!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank leisg
Ottumwa, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Exceeded our expectations as we were very well taken care both at camp and on game drives. Knowledgeable guides and great game viewing. We appreciated the lack of crowds in this area and the wide variety of wildlife.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeeUSA
west sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

The Porini experience is such a special one that it should not be missed. The camp is informally comforting. You really are made to feel welcome and at home. The tented accommodation is immaculate and I think the largest tents that I have stayed in. Porini take the ecological stance very seriously...and rightly so. The tents are solar powered and the showers are designed to conserve water... The view from each tent is stunning and at this camp there is a watering hole that attracts the wildlife and this you can see from the tent porch.

Mathew is one in a million...and his staff are amazing...Hesbon needs special thanks too for his unfaltering service...and the chef...has an incredible talent. Food was just mouth watering and all cooked from scratch on site...you wouldn't believe it! The game drives were also excellent..and you could feel that you had the flexibility for a real tailor made experience. The rhino and chimp sanctuary are a must too! The Masai guides beguiled me with their knowledge and animal spotting...great stuff! Sundowners,listening to Mathew, G&T in hand with Mount Kenya on the horizon is a moment not to be forgotten.

We stayed 3 nights and I would not have wanted less.

The Porini experience teaches you about the Masai and ecology as well as the Safari surroundings and wildlife. A very Special Place...THANKS

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
#16 of 36 in Nanyuki Town
Soames Hotel & Jack's Bar
Soames Hotel & Jack's Bar
#2 of 14 in Nanyuki Town

Been to Porini Rhino Camp? Share your experiences!