“Amazing Resort”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
“Amazing Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The landscaping and the service in the hotle were amazing!!!

We alos would like to appreicate the great and magnificent service we have received from the Butler: Riad who was available for any service and support even during his off days.

Big thank to RIAD...

Regards,
Samer Al Umairin

Room Tip: As I have not seen the ohter rooms, but my room (126) was wonderfull!!!1
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sophie T, Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Bonjour monsieur Samer Al Umairin,

It is with great pleasure that we welcome your comments. Riad and the team are all happy to have made your stay a memorable one.

Our rooms with the Kenzo décor surely create the perfect venue for relaxation and comfort.

Hoping you will visit us shortly again.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Upon arrival we were told that there was a conflict with our beach villa and we were getting bumped up into the Presidential Suite. SCORE!!!!! The place was massive! I think there was like 6 showers, 4 TV's, 2 HUGE suite's, dining room for 8, kitchen, a good sized private pool, private steam room, private yoga room, big back yard, right on the beach, it was one of the most amazing places I've ever stayed. The bed was enormous, the biggest bed ever. The tennis court was awesome, and the restaurant was one of the most beautiful restaurants we've ever eaten at. (side note.. my wife, the vegitarian, had a hard time with the non existant vegitarian menu which made eating a challange, we were suprised that there wasn't more vegitarian dishes.)

The staff was impecable and totally on it. The beach and the grounds were flawless. Ocean was gorgous to look at. We loved that place. And it wasn't priced bad at all. We had just came back from Maldives and Seychelles, and paid a fortune at those places, and it was nice to get a good deal at Sofitel.

Big thumbs up from the Dove's, that place was a Grand Finale to a month long trip. It was absolutely perfect! We will definitely be going back!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Room Tip: Beau Champs - Probably the most massive room I've ever stayed in. Felt like a palace. Definitely...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank syradove
Sophie T, Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Bonjour Madame, Bonjour Monsieur,

Thank you for your valuable comments on your recent stay among us. We are indeed happy to hear that you enjoyed your villa with its amazing private facilities.

Our chef’s is always available to accommodate our guest’s dietary requests and could have prepared a special vegetarian menu to enhance your meal experience. We therefore recommend that forthcoming guests send as much details as possible about meal requests to better help us make your stay enjoyable.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company very soon at So Mauritius!

Wirral, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

This was a wonderful holiday..one mealtime it went wrong. I politely registered why I was not happy...wow, did they try to make amends next day!!! Fantastic attention to their guests. Any complaint...well, the drinks were so expensive we tended to buy loacl and drink in our room

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank QualityCountsJersey
Sophie T, Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Bonjour Madame, Bonjour Monsieur,

We are happy to receive your comments about your stay at So Mauritius. Our chef and the F&B team are always doing their best to make each meal experience memorable for our guests.

As for Imported beverages, they are indeed subject to a high taxation rate on the island but our prices are at par with those practiced by our competitors.

We look forward to welcome you among us soon.

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

The So Sofitel is based on a nice stretch of beach, very quiet and plenty of space on the beach. The water is clean but if you are looking after corals they are most dead.
The pool is nice but I don't understant why they build it behind so many trees which block the view of the sea.
The rooms are nice, spacious , great design but most of them don't have any vews so you can't enjoy the sea unless you pay a premium for some of their beach villas but they don't have much privacy.
The so advertised butler is a waste of time, please send your butlers for some training in Alila Uluwatu Bali because butler is not someone just to show you your room but be there when needed and ours was simply missing , not even help offered with the bags on departure.
Nice view from breakfast area but average food, same can be said about the room service menu, very limited.
My biggest problem was some of the staff. They are non stop on their mobile phones and even when you say hi to them , they simply continue texting and not paying any attention to the guests.
Prices of drinks are too high for the service offered.
Nice place but much work needed on customer service and attitude of staff.
Don't waste your money at this stage as the place doesn't offer a luxury touch.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank moschino24_98
Bonjour Madame, Bonjour Monsieur,

Thank you for valuable comments on your last stay among us. We believe that our beach is one of the most preserved on the island. The slow death of some corals is due to global climatic changes and its impact on the marine life. The Reef Conservation Mauritius organization for example works very hard for corals protection and conservation. However more efforts from every world citizens are still required for our planet preservation.

Our rooms are definitely design for space and comfort and I am sure that the benefits from the external shower and bathtub are the elements every guest remembers. The room’s privacy is enhanced by the gardens which makes the view of the sea somehow difficult for some suites.

We are sorry to hear that the butler service was not to your satisfaction as well as some aspects of our service with regards to mobile phone’s usage. Rest assured that the necessary actions will be taken to remediate to these areas in order to enhance each of our guest stay and make it a SO experience.

We hope to welcome you again at So Mauritius.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

My wife and I went here last September and it was truly delightful. It's a beautiful location, rooms are wonderful and staff could not possibly be more charming or accommodating. The restaurant was terrific too, and the chef was very helpful indeed.

There were a few tiny drawbacks but they hardly made a difference to our enjoyment of our stay. It was very windy at times while we were there and the restaurants are not very well protected from the wind. The beach is very shallow-sloping so swimming in the sea is a bit awkward - but there is a lovely pool which makes up for it. Wine and Champagne are terribly expensive - but that seems to be the case in most places in Mauritius and the local beer is a very good, reasonable alternative. Finally, I think the square footage of the rooms that they advertise may include the private gardens - the room was a little smaller than I'd expected. But it didn't matter in the least as it was an extremely lovely room and the garden was a wonderful spot to sit and relax and watch the wildlife - especially the outside bath!

The in-room internet and entertainment system was a bit temperamental but it seems churlish to complain about that since it did work prettty well most of the time and it was very handy indeed. There was an excellent collection of movies that was quite extensively updated while we were there.

It's worth mentioning that we took advantage of a 'two weeks for the price of one' deal - which must have contributed to our appreciation of the experience! But if you do see off-peak deals like this available it is well worth it - the minor drawback of slightly windy or cloudy weather is a very small price to pay for a wonderful environment and truly charming and extremely co-operative staff.

Thank you to everyone at Bel Ombre for giving us such a terrific holiday - sorry it's taken so long to write the review!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Malcolm L
Sophie T, Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Bonjour Madame, Bonjour Monsieur,

It is so good to hear from you and that your last stay at So Mauritius was delightful. Our rooms are indeed wonderful; giving our guests the privacy they seek with the possibility to enjoy nature’s beauty. The external shower provides the opportunity to extend the room’s space in a different perspective. Though Internet has sometimes some hiccups, we try to solve them as quickly as possible by providing alternatives to guests who need to be connected to their loved ones.

The southern part of Mauritius though being windy occasionally it is still well preserved with the breath taking views of the mountains, sugarcane fields and the deep blue ocean ….So Mauritius enjoys a unique setting.

Our team looks forward to make your next stay more memorable,

Woodland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Trip advisor Mauritius
I just left so sofitel in bel ombre and although I will miss the beach and some of the staff
it is definitely not Maldives, not white and the sea is full of coral and you have to wear
water shoes that are sturdy. The water is clear and there are spots where it is that
beautiful turquoise but the tide is an issue and at times there is no water, you have to go
way way out and you can still stand up. I had asked over and over again about the
coral and beach and I knew by the reservation manager skirting around the question
that it was not anything like Maldives but still wanted to try something new. My first
night in the beach villa where there are only 6, there was a big puddle of water next to
the toilet and slipped but thankfully landed on the toilet and saw there was a leak in the
ceiling. Not off to a good start but the manager on duty, the spa director, Jean couldn't
of been nicer and unfortunately the air had to be turned off to stop the leak so had to
sleep sweating all night with the dripping noise. She assured me I would be moved the
next morning because there was no other villa available for the night and I would not be
charged.

GOOD:

Toilet paper is the best in the world and I have never really thought much about it but this is worth mentioning as silly as it seems.

Suite is beautiful, very big and very cool design. Great bathroom and shower.

Jean, a wonderful woman who moved me to the largest villa there, 2 bedrooms, kitchen,
huge. Even gave me a free massage, she was absolutely topnotch and also invited me
for dinner. She was so genuine and kind.

The property is very pretty but landscaping could be better.

Chef Isabelle, the nicest woman ever and did everything to accommodate my picky
eating. Love her and even let me in her kitchen a foreign place for me!

Cristel, in housekeeping, the most thoughtful girl, put flowers put in every spot I ever
looked at. A gem.

Newspaper having your name on each page, a nice personal touch

BAD

Gym, 1 treadmill, elliptical and bike and no mirror. Kenny the trainer, nice but way too
intense.

Jo the recreational guy hustled me to use his uncles car service for the day and it was
some beat up broken car for $100 that was not a car service or his uncles and he didn't
go through the hotel and asked me to lie for him and the day was a disaster. I spoke to him about it and asked for my $100 which I never did get back.

I asked the reception and head of housekeeping, about 4 people in all about my
shoes that were missing, not one person ever got back to me to tell me yes, they found
them or no, completely ignored me and left without them. I had to write several times and finally they found them and mailed them to my home which I appreciated.

Boathouse guy for waterskiing, asked me to call him and come to his apartment to
party. Are you kidding.

Charging me for the first night when I was told I was not and even though the manager
gave me the last night for free because of their employee taking me for $100 it was
separate from the first night and then tried to offer me no charge for extras instead. I
shouldn't have had to even ask, you don't charge a guest that is staying 3 times longer
than the average guest, in a villa no less, and ask them to pay for a room that had a
puddle of water and sleep with no air and then try and bargain. For that alone, I would
never go back. The hotel had about a 20 percent occupancy and this shouldn't have
even been a question and they had to call several times for an okay while I waited, very
uncomfortable and unprofessional.

Charging $12 for a glass of water and never would get the bottle that I'm paying for. My
glass would be empty and then had to wait until I could get someones attention for more
water.If you have half board, why charge for water when they advise not to drink tap
water so you are forced to buy the water and then charge $12 for a glass which is the price for the bottle that I never would get. They give you bottled water in your room for free so just charge a few more dollars and give the water to you in the restaurant. I understand all other beverages, but this was ridiculous.

Some of the servers should not be there, too much talking between employees. I was
alone and was not looked after properly on many occasions and would have to wait and wait to get a server. The attitude was like Iwas bothering them and it was mostly empty when I would go so I ate in my room for the remainder of trip, and I was there 16 nights.

I left very early in the morning but feel the manager on duty, Stephan should of said
goodbye the night before but he was the one I dealt with for my bill and after I had to
deal with this he just walked away and didn't even bother saying goodbye, or thank you.

Vanessa, the reservation manager who was very sweet invited me to come to her home
for dinner but had to get an okay from management which I understood but never got
back saying it would be an issue, just ignored the fact that she invited me. I was looking
forward to seeing how a local lived and felt she should of replied one way or another.

All in all, I would not come back but I should say that I did write a very nice letter to the
resident manager about some of the staff including Vanessa, but it did bother me about the invitation, otherwise she was very nice. I

There are some very nice things and some great staff which really made my stay nice but it doesn't live up to a 5 star hotel. This was my first stay in a sofitel which has just started with this property in Mauritius, the So Sofitel upscale division and I have always stayed at Four Seasons properties. I know there are always some problems in every hotel but the ones here are enough to keep me from returning

Room Tip: I loved the beach villa.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank 4halex
Sophie T, Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Bonjour Madame,

We have read your comments with the due concern to some areas mentioned and have taken a lot of actions to some of the difficulties you dealt with during your last stay at So.

Unfortunately the tide being low is difficult to deal with. The Southern part of the island’s reputation for its’ preserved lagoon remains the major attraction for people interested in wild life and flora. We have tried to keep the beach and lagoon as intact as it was prior to man’s construction as for us it is important to maintain the ecosystem. Unlike some places where lagoons have been transformed from its usual course, at So we have kept the river’s natural flow while going through the property as well as the corals in the sea.

The room issues were solved as quickly as possible. As for the landscape, it is affected by a drought season which prevails in Mauritius at the moment.

The misunderstanding with regards to the invitation to Vanessa’s place was not intentional. We apologize for the bad experiences you encountered with other team members. It is sometimes difficult to situate people’s personal and emotional wish. The Mauritian culture being geared to genuinely make our host happy can sometimes deviate from the original wish.

Other areas of service issues you mentioned e.g bills and restaurant service have also seen changes; and we follow up on them to ensure that our service match each guest expectations. This is often not always easy as each individual have a different perception of a situation.

As you mentioned in your letter of departure we have taken all your requests into considerations. Our butler service was flawless and very accommodating while anything you mentioned was done immediately and was fastidious in every detail of your stay. The patience and warm of Vanessa and the kindness of Jeanne from the welcome and how she went out of her way to solve your room problem. Cristel made the little touches to make your room feel like a home. Chef Isabelle is also always trying to accommodate our guest food requests. These showed how our team is dedicated to offer a personalized service at So.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

Yes the hotel is well laid out and the rooms are well equipped but staying at the So Mauritius reminded me of Fawlty Towers. The promised butler appeared to hand us arrival drinks and then went missing for the next 11 days! The gym manager made inappropriate personal comments - too awkward to return to the gym!!! I must mention too that the gym itself is completely inadequate for the size of the property - four people in the gym and it was full! The airconditioner was only turned on if you asked for it...in 35 degree heat. Let me not get started on the concierge; uninformed, unhelpful, slow, inefficient and unmotivated. No information available on Mauritius besides a sketchy map nor were there any guide books in the completely ill-stocked shop. Our room was not serviced on three separate days. The "free" daily water not replaced on four days. The restaurant menu did not change in 11 days and with it being the only restaurant available and only two vegetarian options, a curry and a papaya salad, we experienced severe culinary boredom. NYE dinner was ludicrously expensive, but absolutely no alternative offered. Most of the staff we came in contact with at one time or another complained bitterly about the bad working conditions and the very long hours they were working. This probably explained the lacksadasical attitudes and lack of interest. No beach service unless you went looking for it and hardly any poolside service. And to add insult to injury, our bill at the end was so completely inaccurate, it actually became a joke. Charged twice for accommodation despite paying in full (non refundable) prior to arriving, charged extra for that notorious NYE dinner for some reason, charged for a private car to the airport when a village taxi was ordered at half the price, and we asked to send a small package home and were quoted $750. Wow! We have stayed at amazing hotels around the world; The Four Seasons, The St. Regis, Six Senses, Amandari etc, and the So Mauritius does not compare in the slightest. Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely not.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Australian325
Sophie T, Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Bonjour Madame, Bonjour Monsieur,

Thank you for your valuable comments and observations regarding your recent stay among us. We are sorry to learn that you have got such experience at the Sofitel So Mauritius, as we always intend to deliver more than guests' expectation.

Please rest assured that all necessary measures have been taken in order to avoid any recurrence and we look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back at the So Mauritius.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,399 reviews
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Sofitel So Mauritius? Share your experiences!