“Unforgetable Honeymoon”

Sofitel So Mauritius
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We've got married within a year after we started dating. We had no time to plan our honeymoon as we were so overwhelmed with our wedding preparation, I only had 2 hours sleep the day before! A few days after our marriage we finally had some moments (as our overseas friends and family were still here) to search online for some good deals to Mauritius. We wanted to find a relaxing place which we will not to be spending our time on shopping. We are Christians, we desired to find a quiet place to pray and seek God of His plans for our future as a couple, and also a place to enjoy our honeymoon. God heard us and we've got good deals on the flight and hotel in such a last minute.

On the way our hearts were not so convinced if we have chose a right place for honeymoon. The roads from the airport to our hotel were very narrow and dark (the surrounding was pitch dark and kinda bushy). And inside the taxi that fetched us had another passenger whom was the driver's girlfriend who tagged alone, a bit unusual for us.

Upon arrival (after 45 minutes journey) we were directed to the check-in area. It was like a maze with beautiful lighted vases. A friendly hotel staff greeted us with cold towel and handled the documentation before we were sent to our room by a buggy.

In our bedroom, a bottle of champagne, flowers arrangement, dessert and fruit platter were ready for us. There were a coffee machine (pod inserted type), a separated indoor and outdoor bathrooms and private outdoor bathtub. A personalised welcoming memo was placed on the table. The bed was spacious and comfortable. We would rate 5 stars for the hotel design. Also a lovely white daybed swing was found on the beach.

The next day we were looking forward to the buffet breakfast. It was not too bad but the selection were not as many as the other hotels that we have stayed before. We were handled a breakfast menu where we could order some dishes, the Mauritian omelette, french omelette, Chinese fried rice are some dishes which are worth trying. Their variety of fruit juice and smoothies were very fresh. I'm not a bread lover but their breads were so good.

The down side is, the menu is the same everyday, we found it boring after having it for 9 days. Our 2 cents worth of suggestion is to have an international section on top of the standard breakfast food and offer the guests one delicacy breakfast from different countries everyday, such as stir fry pad thai from Thai, nasi lemak from Msia, nasi goreng from Indonesia, katong laksa from Singapore and so on.

The ala carte dinner and buffet were not only delicious but the decoration enhanced our appetite as well. Seafood was so fresh. The live music was adding up to the romantic atmosphere. Bar was good especially the outdoor. Dinner on a catamaran was so unforgettable and this was the best part out of all. The projected stars in our bedroom after the dinner was such a great surprise.

The hotel beach and swimming pool were clean. They offered free water ski and glass bottom boat. However we weren't so impressed with the staff who ran the overall sea activities, such as they would rush us to return the kayak eventhough it was far from the closing time. As the hotel guests we were entitled to 1 fishing trip per week, we had been requesting this in person almost everyday, but they always wanted us to come back again the next day, but on the next day they would tell us the fishing boat was gone. We were not allowed to book in advance. We had to keep on 'bugging' them to finally get our fishing trip.

We love snorkeling and kayaking around their beach. On the last day we wanted to have one last round. To our disappointment the sea activities staffs had left though it was 30 minutes before the closing time. So we ended up taking some bread to feed the fish at the shallow water.

Overall we have a pleasant honeymoon with a free room upgrade to a family villa, thanks to Raj our butler, he had been taking care of our requests and he organised a great flower bath for us. Karene was helpful too. We had 2 free cocktail drink and was offered another 2 cocktail drink again from the hotel manager. All these are very personal and we would recommend our couple friends to go.

Mr & Mrs Tang (Australia)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mr N Mrs T
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Dear Mr and Mrs Tang,
Thank for sharing your So Experience with us and the detailed description of your stay which will help us to improve where necessary regarding our services. Your feedbacks are important for us to know whether you had an enjoyable stay with at the So Mauritius.
It was a pleasure to offer a room upgrade during your stay and we hope that this experience will be engraved in your memories. Indeed, we take note of the breakfast buffet selection, the limited variety of the menus for dinner and the inconsistency of the boat house service.
Above all, we hope that you will keep the best part of your stay with sweet memories of the place, romantic moments created to enhance your honeymoon break and the personal touch of the service.
We wish to welcome you again to enjoy more So Moments at the SO Mauritius!
Kind Regards,
Piotr Kupiec
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Approx 45 mins drive from the airport in the South East of Mauritius situated in Bel Ombre. We were greeted with a cold towel and taken to our rooms by buggy where the check in is done. We stayed in a Prestige suite. Each suite has a dedicated butler. Ours was called Sarah and she was very friendly and informative and explained everything within the resort and the room. Your Butler looks after you during your stay so anything that you need they will be able to help you. Sarah also showed us around the resort so we knew where everything was… pool/restaurant/bar etc which I thought was a very good service.

The rooms are modern with super king size bed, open plan bathroom with bath and outdoor shower, flat screen TV, Bose CD player and ipod docking station. Movies to rent are complimentary and so is the WIFI. You also have an outside terrace with private garden and 2 x sun loungers with umbrella. This hotel is a very quiet resort and mainly couple’s staying here when I was there (some had young children). We were advised the hotel was running at 90% occupancy and I can honestly say you would not have noticed.

They have 2 restaurants.. 1 for lunch – La Plage and one for breakfast and dinner - Flamboyant. I did get a little bored with the menu as it doesn’t change although one of the evenings the chef did us a suprise meal which was lovely. The restaurant is Al la carte. You are not far from the Heritage so you can always go for something to eat there if you wish as they have lots of restaurants to choice from. The Bar had a great selection of drinks and cocktails highly recommend the molecular range!

The pool area was very relaxing with lots of chairs and sun loungers. The pool staff were very attentive and would often came round with complimentary fruit, sorbet, water spray and offering to clean your glasses. The beach was also very quiet and chilled with a nice breeze. The coral reef surrounds this part of Mauritius so it forms a lagoon which is very calm. The hotel offers watersports. You can also hire bikes so if you want they will plan a route for you. The hotel has a kids club, gym and a spa.

We had a late checkout on our last day and the hotel let us have our room until we left at 7pm free of charge which again I thought was very good of them. On our last day the manager met us for a drink just to check we had a nice stay and some feedback.

The main thing that stood out for me was the level of service. The staff were fantastic and very friendly. If you are looking for a relaxing, quiet villa style property then this will be perfect for you!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank woodsywoodsywoodsy
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Bonjour !
Just a short note to thank you for taking the time sharing with us your experience.
We wanted you, as all our guests, to have unforgettable moments, which you can take away with you, and can help you having positive thoughts even when back at home.
Such experince needs to shared..
We all look forward to welcoming you again to SO Mauritius for even more SO Intense moments.
With warm regards
Bastien Blanc,

Reviewed 18 March 2013

This trip was all about the little things which made up a great stay. We turned up at the airport to be met by the resort BMW rather than the taxi I ordered which was a great start and very nice touch. The resort itself is beautiful, located in a very quiet part of Mauritius. Rooms are beautifully designed, with private outdoor spaces and plenty of room for a couple sharing. Food was broadly good, but menu choices wore thin on day 7, but who's complaining? The service here is all about the little touches - the concessions made to guests on a personal level. You get the feeling that the staff have been empowered to make decisions rather than ask a manager etc. Nothing is too much trouble. I have to single out Veenash in the bar as being the epitome of this. Great place. Great staff (and clearly great management).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mrapr

Bonjour from So Sunny Mauritius!

We thank you so much for visiting us recently and for posting your flattering and enthusiastic review of your experience with us !
We were delighted to read we were able to bring enjoyment to every component of your experience - namely the outdoor spaces, the gastronmy and the design as well as functionality of your suite.
We agree that the heart of our resort is our team of ambassadors whom we thrive at So making as empowered as Managers to provide service from the heart, through initiatives and decisions to make every single guests feel happy and fully relaxed through their time with us!

I will share your kind words with the entire team .

We look forward to your next stay @ Sofitel So Mauritius !
Best Regards,
Bastien Blanc

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I have just arrived home from a 7 night stay at So sofitel Mauritius Bel Ombre. This hotel was designed by Kenzo, so everything works, well, just SO well. The rooms are very, very cool. From the rain shower outside to the amazing beds. Everything is spotless & the hotel has been open now for 2 & a half years, it still looks as fresh as the day it opened.
The staff are extremely well trained and will look after your every need. Each room comes complete with your very own butler. Well, thats overstating them a tad, lets just say, your very own assistant who will help you, nice touch though.
I would advise this is a very quiet resort, very peaceful and tranquil. Too quiet for me, when I mentioned this, they arranged for me to go to another hotel that night where there was a band and a late night club...WOW... fantastic customer service. I also mentioned the menu was the same 3 nights in a row...guess what they did, they got the Chef to cook us our very own food for the next 3 nights...WOW... fantastic customer service.
I cannot fault the staff at this resort, they went above & beyond at every request. As for the hotel, if you are after peace & quiet on a 5 star level, just book it, it is SO worth it.

Room Tip: They are all fantastic rooms :0)
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reviewer1010
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Bonjour form So Mauritius!

Thank you for leaving such lovely comments.

Our suites and villas designed by Kenzo Takada with a unique décor surely create the perfect venue for relaxation and comfort.
Ambassadors at SO Mauritius put their whole heart to serve with passion and delight guests by personalized attention through our service from the heart attitude. We are glad you felt it and thank you for the good feedback on those.
We're glad that you enjoyed your holiday and will look forward to share good times with you for your next vacation.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

I just recently stayed at Sofitel Bel Ombré with my family and truly had the most memorable experience. We stayed in a beatific Villa that perfectly fit my family of 4. The rooms were impeccable and the beds were probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept in. The bathrooms were beautiful, well kept and the bathroom amenities were fantastic, not your usual hotel soap and shampoo. We were lucky enough to experience butler service during our stay and the entire butler team were extremely helpful, always checking on us and making sure we were happy and enjoying our stay in Mauritius. thank you Arshad!! They made various suggestions on things we could do in and out of the hotel. We are steps away from the beach as well and that was just perfect!! I was a bit nervous traveling with children as mine are quite young but the hotel offers Villa des Enfants with lots of things I do and there is babysitting service as well,ask for Prisca, she was the best! Food was just wonderful! 2 restaurants with complete different styles of food and a room service menu that was just as delicious! My favorite was the hearts of Palm with mustard vinaigrette...amazing!!! lastly, you can't go to this hotel without visiting the spa! I recently read its one of the too spas in 2013 from Conde Nast and it doesn't disappoint!! The treatments are varied and perfect to relax and the spa is mostly outdoors so you really feel at peace and the entire look of the spa is very serene! Next time, I will not bring my kids, every though they were welcomed. I feel it's a place to getaway to have some quiet! Lovely hotel, lovely staff!! Thank you!

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Meglo

Bonjour,

On behalf of the team , I want to thank you and express that we are SO happy to know that you had an intense experience while spending your time at SO Mauritius. Glad to hear we were able to make it a memorable one.
We strive to ensure we provide the best holiday ever for the whole family, every single member needs to find its pleasure in the options of activities the hotel provides. It is nice to hear that our Ambassador exceeded your expectations in this sense.
Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with all of the Hotel’s Ambassadors.
Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

I have been to many places and have stayed in significant number of hotels. It was my first time in Mauritius and I enjoyed it a lot. The hotel, Sofitel So Mauritius impressed me. The service was just perfect. Staff was friendly and helpful. Especially, I would like to thank butler Kanen, for his help and attention. The atmosphere during the whole stay was amazing, the team made me feel home. I definetely wish to go back to the hotel. Thank you very much to the team for the unforgettable holiday they have made.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yulia L

Bonjour from So Mauritius,
We are So glad to hear that you have found it to be a good choice to stay at SO Mauritius for the first time being in Mauritius and that you had an intense experience with us !
The “So Butler” service is a key attribute which gives life to the spirit of personalized service which we want our guests to experience throughout their time with us. Rest assured that we will specially address your thanks to Kanen for his kindness and dedicated attention but also the whole team for your appreciation of our dedication to provide SO tailored service.
Hope to have opportunity to meet you again at SO Mauritius!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

just returned from a 10 days vacation there. I wanted to thank all the team who made me feel in paradise. Excellent food (marlin salad is a must), magic spa (nestled in greenery, very peaceful) and butler service which i had never experience at this level. (Thank you riad for all the little touches which made my days and night extra special ! The mauritius turndown with candles and an outside bath is from another world)
Basically a fab stay with excellent mauritian service

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Meraviniou
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Bonjour !

We wanted you, as all our guests, to have unforgettable moments, which you can take away with you, and can help you having positive thoughts even when back at work.

Cordially,

Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Sofitel So Mauritius? Share your experiences!