“Amazing Weekend!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Quatre Bornes
“Amazing Weekend!”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Perfect service from staff and warm welcome. We were lucky to have a perfect weather during the whole stay. Excellent food especially the desserts. The only thing missing was the spa which was still under construction. A refaire!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ValerieConsens
Frédéric C, General Manager at Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Madam,
Thank you for having taken some time in writing a review about your holiday at Outrigger Mauritus Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed a relaxing holiday among us and more than happy to see that you enjoyed the culinary experiences in our different restaurants as well as the professionalism of our staff.

We look forward to welcome you again to experience another stay in the tranquility of our resort and friendliness of our staffs and we also assure that you will be able to experience all services of the Navasana Spa.

Frédéric Chrétien,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having been fortunate enough to have visited this lovely island on many occasions I was interested to visit this ‘new’ property in the south west especially after being offered a very competitive rate during their soft opening period.

As there was still considerable work going on and several aspects of the hotel had not yet opened, my review is observational and not necessarily critical (with one exception), as it is recognised that during the soft opening the hotel was still in the process of staff training and finishing off the renovations.

We arrived very early morning, so early in fact that the nightshift were still on duty, and check-in was a bit elongated as it took a little while to establish that in fact I had paid the hotel directly in advance and did not have a tour operators voucher, however I was happy to be there and first impressions in the lobby area were generally very good.

We then set off on what was a much longer route than necessary to the room??, where it took our reception host a good 5 minutes to get the key card to open the door – that was not a great sign and after he left I tried to open the door, with the same lack of success. After two key changes and I believe a visit from the maintenance team, it was still an issue, until I discovered the knack....as simple as pulling the door towards you as you turned the handle – after that discovery we had no problems with this, but it did highlight something, in that the door ‘furnishings’ i.e. handles, key card machines and internal locks and handles are all unchanged from the original hotel.

As soon as we entered the room it was clear to see there had been major investment in furniture and furnishings which were excellent, but this merely served to highlight the dated doors, knobs and locks which seemed out of place.
On opening the patio doors we discovered our direct access to the beach and a fantastic view through the garden to the waves breaking on the offshore reef.

As I have mentioned there were ongoing improvements being made during this time and as well as seeing the garden areas and public areas being developed and coming to life, there were also additions still being made to the room, as half way through our stay an alarm clock/IPod dock appeared on our bedside table.

So very happy with the room …………………… except, for what is my one significant complaint about the whole stay …………………. Our air-conditioning never got the room to less than 27C, which meant I never actually slept in the bed, but on the bed. Again, initially I can accept you have a soft opening to discover and iron out these little faults, but it is how you respond which makes all the difference. I reported the matter at least 4 times, was told at least twice it had been fixed, subsequently had a maintenance team arrive at around 2200 one night who worked on it, told me it needed a new chiller and then left without further information that night or the next day. Was told again it had been fixed, but still the room was never less than 27C, due to the lack of cold air from the aircon. I was finally offered another room nearby, but it seemed no cooler, so with only a few days left on our holiday we elected to put up with it and stayed.

Outside the room, in just over a week we saw the resort develop, and enjoyed its excellent beach, which due to the partial opening was almost deserted, and the massive pool, which unusually has dark floor and side tiles, making it look initially a bit strange, but it is a great pool.

On the beach we were looked after by Arun, who apparently used to be a lifeguard in the old hotel. He has made a very good transition to beach and pool server as throughout our visit he was very attentive and always ready to get us a cold beer, water or cocktail.

Hans the Bar Manager, knows the ropes, has clearly got a great deal of experience dealing with people and was always very welcoming, while keeping an eye on his fledgling workforce, however throughout our whole stay the actual service of drinks was slow to the point of being ridiculous. As another guest commented – “how come it takes 20 minutes to open a bottle of Coke?” To be honest, sometimes 20 minutes was quick, and I believe Hans is well aware this aspect has to improve significantly, and I would hope once his staff are fully trained, this will just have been an observation during the soft opening.

The food however was excellent, particularly in Mercado (interior design and furniture, fittings were superb), from the significant choice at breakfast, through to dinner, where there was always a wide selection and variation, in a buffet style. The selection and quality were first class with different areas dedicated to Indian, Chinese/Japanese, and an alternating European or other style, where you could help yourself to really good, well prepared and beautifully presented food.

The wine waiters Jean & Allan were also superb, anticipating my need for another beer and my wife’s for another glass of wine, without being pushy in any way.

We also ate on one occasion at Edgewater Grill, which attracts a premium for the privilege of sitting mostly outside and enjoying fish caught that day and displayed on ice for you to select that evening. It was nice meal, well worth trying, but in my opinion the food in the main restaurant was just so good, it was worth a visit to Edgewater, but I wonder what I missed in Mercado that night.

So –
Excellent – Food (both quality and selection) and if they keep this up it ranks as better than at least two of the other MRU 5 star hotels I have stayed in.

Very Good – The room interiors and beach area

Good – The pool and the majority of the staff’s attitude to service

Poor – not much, but when something as fundamental as air conditioning clearly does not work – 27C minimum despite on full blast – and the staff advise you it has been fixed several times, without any improvement whatsoever, it suggests that the considerable expenditure made upgrading the rooms with new furniture and fittings has detracted from what should have been a very simple and basic upgrade of a poor excuse for air conditioning, which resulted in me never actually sleeping in the bed – not good enough!

Having said that........ the resort came on leaps and bounds during our stay with considerable work in the gardens and over on the Club side of the complex which was not open, however it was never intrusive on our enjoyment.

I look forward to visiting again later in the year as there is much to recommend the efforts made to turn this into a new 5 star resort, when I will be interested to see if quality and selection has been maintained in the restaurants, the bar service has become more speedy, the resort retains some exclusivity and has enough beach equipment and space for the increased numbers and whether I actually get a room which is cooler than the outside air temperature!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank bluemingoodbloke
Frédéric C, General Manager at Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for having dedicated your precious time for sharing your views on Trip Advisor
We are delighted to see that you enjoyed a relaxing holiday among us and also wish to thank you for your valued feedbacks.

We are deeply apologetic for technical issues you experienced during your stay during our soft opening period. We have already reinforced the service standards so that we can ensure consistency at all times.

Your kind words on our team members are very much appreciative, really inspiring and a source of motivation to each and everyone.

Once again, thank you for your visit and valuable comment. The whole Outrigger Mauritius team and I are looking forward in welcoming you in the near future to experience the full resort.

Warmest regards,

Frédéric Chrétien
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Presently honeymooning at Outrigger Resort & Spa Mauritius and we are so impressed with the friendliness and efficiency of the always polite staff. Nothing is too much trouble and they bend over backwards to accommodate our requests. The resort has just been remodeled and is stunning. Excellent food, large varied menu. Being on honeymoon we are loving the privacy that the layout of the grounds of the hotel allows. Thank you Outrigger staff for making this the most amazing trip we've ever taken

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank JudeCasey
Frédéric C, General Manager at Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Mrs Jude Casey,

Thank you for having dedicated your valuable time in sharing your holiday experience to other potential travelers on the site of Trip Advisor.

We can only be thankful to your beautiful description of the hotel, the facilities and the team who strive to go the extra mile to meet and even exceed our guest's expectations.

We hope that you will consider visiting us again in the near future and I as well as the whole team shall be most delighted to welcome you again for another relaxing holiday at the Outrigger Mauritius Resort & Spa.

With kind regards,
Frédéric Chrétien
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 1 March 2014

You say Mauritius and pictures of white sand and blue ocean immediately start coming to your mind. This place, this hotel, this complex could be perfect. One thing is disturbing sometimes the quiet and peaceful paradise gem of the Indian Ocean, and that is wind. Strong wind, day and night. But other than that you get wonderful ocean views and indian cuisine. A French spa is also on site. I even managed to play tennis with a mauritian trainer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mademoisellehongroiz
Moka, Moka, Mauritius
Reviewed 25 February 2014

When I booked this hotel for our family week-end I was conscious that we would be staying at the property going through soft-opening and I expected that the relatively low rate (due to the soft opening) would mean compromise in terms of some hotel facilities. I was completely wrong. Here are my observations.
We have had the warmest welcome upon arrival and the front office staff was very professional, polite and helpful.
Our rooms where nicely appointed, comfortable, stylish and very spacious. We had two rooms: one Junior Suite Beach Front and one Family Room - both rooms where up to the highest standard and very cozy. Everything was situated exactly where you expect it to be, as if the designers have anticipated every move and every wish of the client. The bed was just as I like it - not too soft and not too hard - just very good for my injured back.
I adored my early morning walk on the beach! It is very long and is perfect for those who like long-distance morning walking. Only the central part of the beach next to the swimming pool and to the restaurants and bars is equipped with sunbeds and umbrellas. The remaining almost 1 km beach is natural and wild. You feel like you have been cast away from the civilization!! The sunrise is fantastic at this part of the island!
Our breakfast was very nice. I must say that the main restaurant has impressed me with its space, design, variety of food and service. There is a possibility to seat outdoors at tables of four. But my family is a kind of too big - so we had chosen a nice table for 5 inside of the main restaurant. And I enjoyed it. What I have noticed to my surprise - very comfortable temperature inside. it is very rare that you feel so comfortable in an air conditioned space, but here it was so comfortable that we did not want to move: not cold, not noisy, no insects, no birds trying to steel some food from your plate))))
All my family love the ocean, swimming and snorkeling, thus at 9:00 we where in front of the boat house reserving our water activities. I must say that swimming here is rather particular. There is a very strong but absolutely safe current which goes along the beach and drifts you away to the neighboring hotel. So, we have drifted on kayaks, on stand up paddle and with snorkeling gear a few times along the beach. The underwater is extremely interesting to see!!! There are plenty of live corals of different colors and millions of different fish, anemones, and other forms of underwater life and just some 50 meters from the shore line. The depth is about 1.5 m - absolutely safe for adults and children. Only need to keep in mind the strong current and while snorkeling you need either to keep swimming against the current or just let yourself drift until the next beach.
Than suddenly it started to rain. It was very warm heavy tropical rain, and we moved into the swimming pool. Here again I was surprised! The pool is huge! It might be the biggest pool in Mauritius - you can hardly cross it by swimming. Its walls are covered with natural dark stone and these warm up the water with sun-rays. The water was so good, that we did not mind raining - we where just having fun in a perfect warm water of the pool.
The hotel's Spa-center is not operational yet, but the guests are suggested to use the Spa at Tamassa hotel which is just next door. It took me 7 minutes walking by beach to the spa at Tamassa, where I was nicely welcomed and had fabulous treatments :3 hours treatment for 7500 Rupees (divide by 29 to get in USD) - very good value for money.
For the lunch we went to the beach restaurant -Crab Shack. Actually, We have tried almost everything on the menu - the food is fantastic and the service was rapid and friendly. We could see our food cooked in the open-style live kitchen, could discuss some details with the Chef. Amazing!!! I like that feeling of participation in cooking process!!!
Our dinner outdoors under the stars was not a surprise anymore: very good food, very wide variety of different styles of food, perfect service, excellent wine selection at a very good price.
I can only recommend it to travelers, they will not be disappointed. Fabulous place!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Svetlana_Chimeea
Frédéric C, General Manager at Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Mrs Chimeea,

I am glad that you enjoyed a relaxing stay whilst you did also manage to enjoy all our resort facilities.
I am happy to see that you did enjoy your culinary experiences and this is more than encouraging for our chef and our Food and Beverage team.

I do sincerly wish that you will consider visiting us again in the near future and can assure you that the whole team and I shall be most pleased to welcome you again and will make our upmost to make your stay unforgettable.

Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

First of all, I would say this is a very decent place to stay.

We spent 8 nights at this hotel at a beachfront club room, during their soft-opening period in early Feb. 2014.

Staff: Overall very friendly. The first time we called for ice and they didn't deliver it and we forgot it. Later on we called for ice everyday and they never missed, and the service department called us twice to check if ice was delivered.

Food: The buffet breakfast and dinner changes menu everyday and they have plenty of choices. The Edgewater restaurant menu needs to have more choices.

Room: spacious with a large bath tub, simple decoration. Probably the closest to the beach compared to neighborhood hotels. However the LCD TV is a little too small (26 inches), and the slippers should be changed everyday or every other day. The wall is a little weak - we heard our neighbor struck the wall three times and once from the ceiling.

Environment: plenty of open space with trees and grass, not feeling crowded at all.

Water sports: They probably have glass bottom boat and kayak only for now. However they can send you to a place nearby for other sports, by taking a speed boat. We did paddle boat.

Spa: not open yet.

Beach and view: splendid. I can see sun rise and sunset (if there is) everyday.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leo Z
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having spared some time in writing a review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a relaxing holiday among us and also wish to thank you for your valued feedbacks. We have already reinforced the service standards so that we can ensure consistency at all times.

Once again, thank you for your visit and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Taking in to consideration that we went a few days in to the hotel's "soft opening", although not completely functional, this hotel has all the makings of something truly special.

In terms of what we could use-the restaurant for breakfast, the breakfast itself, bedrooms and beach.....it really was simply fabulous!

With regards to service, everyone tried hard, but a disaster occurred at dinner and things went wrong all the time. Not that it mattered to us, but also parts of the hotel were not yet up and running.

That said, I have no doubt that this will change very quickly and will end up being the place to stay in the future! I would certainly recommend spending some time here

Oh yes, I also got engaged at the hotel, so it captured my heart too!!!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcus Z
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience on Trip Advisor.

We wsih to express our gratitude for sharing your different experiences and for your encouragements. I am also delighted to see that this led to an ultimate holiday experience with you and your wife being engaged at our resort.

The whole team of Outrigger Mauritius Resort & Spa joins me in wishing you both congratulations and we look forward into welcoming you back to our resort in near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort? Share your experiences!