I booked this holiday last minute but picked the Heritage based on Trip Advisor comments and pictures. In the main, we had a great holiday, weather was fantastic and we met some amazing people. I want to give a very balanced review based on our experience so here goes:-
Hotel was 40 minutes from the airport and the transfer was smooth. Handy hint, book a private transfer by taxi, cost £50 but worth the money! We arrived at an open plan reception and we were greeted by the reception staff. We were told that check in was 2pm but our room was ready. We were shown round the hotel and then taken to our room. We stayed in 6205 and it was located on the 2nd floor of the block. The room was nice and had a huge shower, bath and Tv. We were quite taken back when it was explained that WIFI was free in the reception and Zenzibar but they were doing a deal which was in demand movies and WIFI in our room for 3500 rupees (approx £80) My boyfriend and I have stayed in many 5 star all inclusive resorts and WIFI has always been free so this was a huge negative for us.......however only having 1 watchable channel we decided to pay this 'supplement'
WIFI Was very patchy in the room and face timing home was interesting!!
This hotel is billed as 'all inclusive' however this is far from the truth. In actual fact you can only eat in 2 restaurants, the Balafron and Infinity Blue and the rest you have to pay a supplement. Worth noting that Infinity Blue is easily accessible at lunchtime but has to be booked 2 days in advance for dinner. The food is good but not great and very repetitive. You do have to appreciate that they are cooking for the masses.
Another bug bear was the service. This was patchy in areas.....especially round the pool (except when the boys with the shirts and hats were on) and in the restaurant at night......tables often not cleared and some nights drinks took forever to come. Language barrier sometimes an issue and we found if they didn't understand.....they just didn't bother.
My boyfriend proposed to me on holiday and arranged with Danny some champagne to celebrate. Slightly disappointed that no effort was made on the hotels behalf to congratulate us although clearly not the fault of the Hotel......the manager just didn't make a fuss of us! he was also quite aloof and we were uncomfortable when wevwere speaking to one of the bar staff and he clearly reprimanded him in front of us and told him to move on......AKWARD!! One person I do want to single out is Jean Marie......what a gentleman. A smile for every guest, a nice word for us every day and a genuine eagerness to please every guest.....totally opposite to his counterpart Danny. What I will say is after we gave some feedback on the pool service, it did improve dramatically.
We booked the Indian restaurant for a change of scene. This had a supplement of 2500 rupees (approx £58). Although the food was nice and the chef was willing to change the lamb rogan Josh to chicken for me......the starter had 3 small pieces of chicken pakora and had lots of dip......needed more pakora! Again more supplements!!!!!
Entertainment in the bar at night was very good but ended quite early. A singer with a guitar entertained from 7.30ish and then a band came in later. They were very good but again every night was the same. We were in bed most nights for 10pm as there was just nothing really going on. Drinks in the bar were good however, more tutorials in measuring would be good as quantity of alcohol didn't equate to a good drink. They ran out of fizzy Rose wine one of the nights which I just didn't get.
Another disappointment was the mini bar in the room. Again the hotels we have stayed in previously have had optics and wine in the fridge. We only had the local beer and some soft drinks. On arrival it had a bottle of Rose wine in it. We drank it on the 3rd night but it wasn't replenished......you guessed it.......another supplement!!!
Spa was awesome. We had a free couples massage and it was so relaxing and very professional.....worth a visit.
Our flight home was at 11pm and pick up was 7pm. We asked if it was possible to a keep our room on. Hotel said we could however.....2500 rupees. We paid this as we wanted to enjoy our last day. We spent the day at the pool and when we got back to the room it hadn't been cleaned, no fresh towels and our WIFI had been disconnected. I'm sure you can appreciate that I was very unhappy.....called reception and towels were sent to the room so we could shower. They said they would investigate and get back to me......I'm still waiting!
The beauty of this hotel is the surroundings, beautiful beach and the fantastic weather. This may be a 5 star hotel in Mauritius, however at best I would rate it a mediocre 4 star. It has the capacity to be great with improvements in service, guest information and training of staff in the food and drink areas. The chefs are very willing to go off plan and try and give you what you want which did help. A special mention to Tusin on the pasta counter who made me amazing pasta every night.
This holiday was expensive and we were really looking forward to being spoiled with it being all inclusive, however too many supplements, too confusing and overall slightly disappointed. It is worth a visit but bear all the points in mind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of the unspoiled wild south of the island, Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort is the ideal place to experience authentic Mauritius and relax in harmony with nature either for just the two of you, or with the whole family. This luxury hotel combines elegance with the magic of Africa and offers high-end accommodations and an exceptional range of facilities: 18 hole golf course overlooking the ocean, two of the most beautiful well being centres of the Indian Ocean area with the Seven Colours Spa and the Umuzi Fitness Centre, a unique concept in kids' clubs and privileged access to a colonial manor house and a nature reserve. A variety of unique delights to leave you with unforgettable holidays in Mauritius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Travelbag, Prestigia, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritage Awali Golf Hotel Bel Ombre
- Heritage Awali Golf And Spa Resort
- Heritage Hotel Bel Ombre
- Heritage Resort Bel Ombre
- Heritage Mauritius
- Heritage Golf Spa Mauritius
- Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Bel Ombre