“Happy holiday but hidden extra's!!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I booked this holiday last minute but picked the Heritage based on Trip Advisor comments and pictures. In the main, we had a great holiday, weather was fantastic and we met some amazing people. I want to give a very balanced review based on our experience so here goes:-

Hotel was 40 minutes from the airport and the transfer was smooth. Handy hint, book a private transfer by taxi, cost £50 but worth the money! We arrived at an open plan reception and we were greeted by the reception staff. We were told that check in was 2pm but our room was ready. We were shown round the hotel and then taken to our room. We stayed in 6205 and it was located on the 2nd floor of the block. The room was nice and had a huge shower, bath and Tv. We were quite taken back when it was explained that WIFI was free in the reception and Zenzibar but they were doing a deal which was in demand movies and WIFI in our room for 3500 rupees (approx £80) My boyfriend and I have stayed in many 5 star all inclusive resorts and WIFI has always been free so this was a huge negative for us.......however only having 1 watchable channel we decided to pay this 'supplement'
WIFI Was very patchy in the room and face timing home was interesting!!

This hotel is billed as 'all inclusive' however this is far from the truth. In actual fact you can only eat in 2 restaurants, the Balafron and Infinity Blue and the rest you have to pay a supplement. Worth noting that Infinity Blue is easily accessible at lunchtime but has to be booked 2 days in advance for dinner. The food is good but not great and very repetitive. You do have to appreciate that they are cooking for the masses.

Another bug bear was the service. This was patchy in areas.....especially round the pool (except when the boys with the shirts and hats were on) and in the restaurant at night......tables often not cleared and some nights drinks took forever to come. Language barrier sometimes an issue and we found if they didn't understand.....they just didn't bother.

My boyfriend proposed to me on holiday and arranged with Danny some champagne to celebrate. Slightly disappointed that no effort was made on the hotels behalf to congratulate us although clearly not the fault of the Hotel......the manager just didn't make a fuss of us! he was also quite aloof and we were uncomfortable when wevwere speaking to one of the bar staff and he clearly reprimanded him in front of us and told him to move on......AKWARD!! One person I do want to single out is Jean Marie......what a gentleman. A smile for every guest, a nice word for us every day and a genuine eagerness to please every guest.....totally opposite to his counterpart Danny. What I will say is after we gave some feedback on the pool service, it did improve dramatically.

We booked the Indian restaurant for a change of scene. This had a supplement of 2500 rupees (approx £58). Although the food was nice and the chef was willing to change the lamb rogan Josh to chicken for me......the starter had 3 small pieces of chicken pakora and had lots of dip......needed more pakora! Again more supplements!!!!!

Entertainment in the bar at night was very good but ended quite early. A singer with a guitar entertained from 7.30ish and then a band came in later. They were very good but again every night was the same. We were in bed most nights for 10pm as there was just nothing really going on. Drinks in the bar were good however, more tutorials in measuring would be good as quantity of alcohol didn't equate to a good drink. They ran out of fizzy Rose wine one of the nights which I just didn't get.

Another disappointment was the mini bar in the room. Again the hotels we have stayed in previously have had optics and wine in the fridge. We only had the local beer and some soft drinks. On arrival it had a bottle of Rose wine in it. We drank it on the 3rd night but it wasn't replenished......you guessed it.......another supplement!!!

Spa was awesome. We had a free couples massage and it was so relaxing and very professional.....worth a visit.

Our flight home was at 11pm and pick up was 7pm. We asked if it was possible to a keep our room on. Hotel said we could however.....2500 rupees. We paid this as we wanted to enjoy our last day. We spent the day at the pool and when we got back to the room it hadn't been cleaned, no fresh towels and our WIFI had been disconnected. I'm sure you can appreciate that I was very unhappy.....called reception and towels were sent to the room so we could shower. They said they would investigate and get back to me......I'm still waiting!

The beauty of this hotel is the surroundings, beautiful beach and the fantastic weather. This may be a 5 star hotel in Mauritius, however at best I would rate it a mediocre 4 star. It has the capacity to be great with improvements in service, guest information and training of staff in the food and drink areas. The chefs are very willing to go off plan and try and give you what you want which did help. A special mention to Tusin on the pasta counter who made me amazing pasta every night.

This holiday was expensive and we were really looking forward to being spoiled with it being all inclusive, however too many supplements, too confusing and overall slightly disappointed. It is worth a visit but bear all the points in mind.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisc33
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Madam,

I would like to express my sincere thankfulness for the time taken to post your comments regarding your recent holiday experience at Heritage Awali Golf and Spa Resort.

Regarding the All Inclusive, I sincerely regret that you were not aware that lunch/dinner at the Cyan at the C Beach Club, 1 dinner "à la carte", excluding drinks at the Chateau de Bel Ombre, lunch at the Club House, lunch at the Amafrooty were also included in the All Inclusive package as well as lunch/dinner at the Infinity Blue and breakfast/dinner at the Balafon. All these information are written in the pamphlet that is orally described and handed to you upon check in.

There are, indeed, 2 restaurants; the Saffron and the Boma which are not part of the All Inclusive; food-wise. Furthermore, please note that Wi-Fi access in the public areas like the beach bar, the restaurants, the main bar, the conference courtyard are without any charges and as from mid April, Wi-Fi in room will be free.

I also apologise for the experience you encountered with regards to the wedding proposal and I ensure that I will look into the matter personally.

I will pass on your appreciation to Jean Marie, Tisun and the Chefs who met your holiday expectations.

Kindly accept our sincere apology as we are sensitive to any inconvenience caused during the course of your stay and we thank you again for your review and for giving us the opportunity to bring clarifications to the points that you raised.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Warmest regards,

There are newer reviews for Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just returned from our forst visit to Mauritius, not knowing what to expect and have had the most wonderful relaxing Holiday ever at the Heritage Awali Golf and Spa Resort in the south of the island If you have looked at this Hotel as a destination stop looking and get booking!.
The warm welcome you receive on arrival even at some ungodly hour is the first indication of how good your holiday is going to be. The service received throughout our stay was great, the Staff in the Restaurants, Bar, Reception, Beach and Bedrooms all wanted to please and they did.The members of Staff we encountered most are Kevin and Joanna, who cleared away after us in the bedrooms, Shyama, Ravi and Preety in the Restaurants, Nearmaller at Reception and the boys with the drinks, Emanuelle, Nittish and Edilson. I could go on they were all fantastic, what a place to be! One last thing although not anything to do with the Hotel try out Baboo with his boat he will give you a day to remember, what a GUY, can't waite to return!!

2  Thank Susan B
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Susan B,

The whole team joins me in to thank you for having, not only, preferred the Heritage Awali for your stay in Mauritius but also for having taken some time to write such valuable a review on your holiday experience.

Kevin, Joanna, Shyama, Ravi, Preety, Neermala, Emanuelle, Nitish, Edilson among all and myself would really like to welcome you back in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and hopefully soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Just arrived back in UK after 2 very very special weeks in the wonderful Heritage Awali Golf & Spa resort. Thank you so much Christophe and your team ( will mention them all later ) you made our holiday the best ever and i have been now 5 times but this was the best one . Where to start think mentioning all staff i can remember ( always terrified in case I miss someone out as they are all really special ) Christophe your team are a real credit to you from the moment we arrived we were welcomed like family by all staff who remembered us and were genuinely happy to see us and could not have done any more to make our stay so wonderful. Special mention to Tivilen, Vishal, Jean Marie ,Julio, Ranvir, Vicky, Chef Francis who made us so many special meals but one in particular was seared tuna in a sauce created by Francis mango chilli pepper and something else which was AMAZING !!!!!! new dish for his already world class menu I hope !! anyway thank you again Francis carrying on Michael,Rosy Navin (aka Sat Nav ) always up for a laugh, Ashish, Soodesh, Vanessa Shyama, Kenny Oliver, Hemraj Pricea Preety ,The waitresses in Infinity Blue names escape me sorry,Luciano , Nitish? think thats spelt like this I hope ! Rati Kim who is always so welcoming, helpful and friendly , Ludwina ( guessing ) but is on desk on right hand side when entering Awali lovely smile always , Mary Joyce who deserves a medal for cleaning our room especially on Keiths side Jennifer , Edilson and Emanuelle So sorry if i have forgotten to mention anyone but its an age thing not intentional .The standard of service is exceptional never waited for a drink or meal even knew what we were having before we did amazing how they can all remember but they can and do ! The golf which is our main reason for going is simply wonderful run by Ryan and supported by his team Jean Patrick Avinash who was not about as much as just become a father congratulations to you and your wife, the girls in the shop Madisha ? cant remember old age sorry ,Vijay Kabir, and the lovely guy with the beard name escapes me sorry again the girls at the lobby desk Jean Noel and of course Ruben (Shoesday) Rolling Stones hit private joke what a job of cleaning clubs and shoes first class. The course itself is amazing and a great challenge to all golfers alike . I would like to thank you Christophe and team for making our time in your resort so wonderful and the Sincerity of all your staff is worth special mention, your training is reaping great rewards and we wish you all the best with your new renovations and look forward to seeing you next year. We also met a lot of really genuine friendly people and a lot of laughs had by all. Maybe i could ask you to pass my details to Peter Pattenden at the villas as I did not get the chance to thank him for his hospitality and at say goodbye,thank you in anticipation. Thank you all again Kind regards from Scotland William Hargreaves.

Room Tip: All first class
1  Thank William H
Christophe R, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear William,

We were all delighted to welcome you back at the Heritage Awali.

Thanking you for sharing with the world that it has been the best holiday ever and we sincerely look forward to welcome you back as we are all aiming to exceed your expectation over again.
I’m myself very pleased to read that you have observed improvements concerning the efficiency of our services and rest assure that I will personally thank and share your review with all the staffs that contributed to make your best holiday ever

Warmest Regards,

Christophe

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We arrived to the ressort with our friends and at once we knew that this would be good. The atmosphere, the food, the rooms, the golf course and not to forget, the staff is unforgetapple.
All inclusive at the Awali is all inclusive.
We highly recommend this ressort and hope we will be back another time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hanne Elisabet H
Xtophhe, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Hanne Elisabet H,

Thank you for your stunning feedback and the lovely title of your review.

We are delighted to read that your enjoyed the atmosphere, the surroundings, the all-inclusive package and all the staffs who contributed to make your holidays unforgettable.

We sincerely hope to have the chance to welcoming you again soon

Warmest Regards,

Resident Manager

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We arrived in the evening after a 7 hr flight from Dubai and The Heritage Awali was in full swing with Dinner , we quckly changed and joined in the feast set before us, the staff put us at ease straight away and they were very attentive.
We were on fully inclusive package and the amount of choice was stunning and although the hotel was nearly full, the staff took it their stride to look after us.
The next day when we arrived at breakfast the whole place was yet again buzzing and the Hotel took on a new light in the glorious sunlight and stunning views and the sea crashing against the coral reef, with wonderful beaches a few steps away.
We have travelled to many places over the years and this rates up there with the best and I'm sure this will not be our last visit.
Once again I praise and thank the staff and management for making our trip a memorable one.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view its worth it
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Chris S
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Mr. And Mrs. Stairs,

The staff, the Management and myself would like to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your recent stay in Mauritius

Please rest assured that your appreciation will be forwarded to all the team members who will be glad to know that they contributed, directly or indirectly, to the success of your holiday.

We are honoured to know that you might consider to come back and we are all looking forward to your next visit in the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Have just returned from this resort and have to say I cannot fault it. It was a totally relaxing holiday but plenty of water sports if you are inclined. The staff cannot do enough for you and we will remain friends with some of them. You should definitely have a meal in the Indian restaurant, don't be put off by the surplus you have to pay. If you like Indian food you will love the experience and the ambience, the service is very personal and every part of what you eat is explained to you.

Room Tip: Didn't try the spa so cannot comment. Only saw our room and were very happy with the location...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glenda R

Dear Mrs. Glenda R,

I would like to grab this opportunity to tell you that it was a pleasure to have welcomed you and Mr. in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and we have been really honoured to have been your preferred holiday destination for your recent stay in Mauritius.

I will ensure that your appreciation is transmitted to the staff who will be very delighted.

We all look forward to welcome you again in a near future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just on our way home from the wonderful Heritage Awali after two week's holiday. The staff were really lovely - special thanks to Shyama in the main restaurant, Jean Marie in the bar who kept plying us with champagne, Deepa and her team at C Beach and the best omelette maker in the world Amrita! The Water sports team were also superb and we spent many a day water skiing and wakeboarding with them.
The food was lovely especially at Infinity Blue and C Beach. Be aware that you can only have drinks on your AI package at C Beach with a meal - we hope that this changes in the future as all the water sports were based at C Beach and it would be nice to be able to at least get water down there.
We also went to the Chateau for a meal but would honestly say that the other restaurants are good enough and you do get charged for water as well as wine here - cheapest bottle was around £30 for the wine and the water was around £6 a bottle. The golf course is amazing and you are also able to eat lunch here - highly recommend the chicken curry. We ventured on to the par 3 course as two of us have not played much golf but we had a lot of fun and it only cost around £10 for a set of clubs.
I would recommend shoes for in the water as there is a lot of loose cork underfoot and there is a strong current also (great for drift snorkelling though!)
The rooms were lovely, maybe a little old in styling but perfectly adequate with every comfy beds; thank you Sheela (I hope I spelt that right) for your cleaning, you did a wonderful job.
There is so much to do if you want activity and also plenty of space to relax if that's your preference. I loved it and would highly recommend anyone going here.

Room Tip: Rooms 2002 and 2003 are great ground floor rooms with interconnecting door. Noise level is low from...
1  Thank KizDavis
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Miss. Kizdavis,

Let me thank you for your valuable comment of your holiday experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and most importantly, for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your recent stay in Mauritius.

I will ensure that your appreciation is transmitted to all the members of the staff and more specifically to Jean Marie from the Bar, Deepa and her team from the C Beach Club, the water sports team, Amrita from the breakfast buffet and Sheila, your room attendant.

We do hope to get the pleasure of welcoming you again and hopefully sooner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!