“When can I go back?”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
cardiff
“When can I go back?”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Mauritius is beautiful and there are some gorgeous looking hotels so why did I choose this one. It was our Silver Wedding Anniversary however we had to accommodate our 9 year old son so decision making was a challenge. Not with the Heritage Awali however as it seemed to have it all. Golf course is the best we have ever seen and the 9 hole suited my son perfectly. The clubhouse serves a lovely lunch too which helps. The all inclusive package suited us well as my son could go if with the new friends he had made and be independent of us. Now buffet food us nit always my thing but this was an exception as the choice was amazing, beautifully cooked and the restaurant didn't make you feel that you were even at a buffet. Infinity Blue on the beach also had good food and the location you couldn't fault. Sparkling wine is included and seemed to be the thing to do outside infinity blue as the sun went down. Perfect. Water sports were also included which allowed us to do things we wouldn't normally do. C beach club has a brilliant pool which seemed to be warmer than ours so we spent a lot of time there. The Chateau was perfect for our anniversary meal and we will remember that for a long time. Service excellent there too. We swam with dolphins with Nicholas on the Adrien's Dream with a barbecue on an uninhabited island and snorkelling in the warmest sea I have encountered. We took a trip to a tea factory which even my 9 year old enjoyed and he loved the giant tortoises at the nature reserve. The only minor negatives are that you are limited to 3 restaurants none of which are at the Telfair next door which would have been nice and you had to be on the ball to book these 2 days ahead as they filled up quickly. Drinks also were only included at certain times of the day if at the C beach club which we found a minor irritation. Golf clubs are not provided free of charge as we were lead to believe so this added to the cost. I wouldn't have minded taking our own if only it had been made clear from the holiday company and the hotel. Apart from that we just loved it all and are saving hard to go back so hope yo see you again Heritage Awali.

Room Tip: Sea view a must as it would be a shame not to enjoy the beautiful view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dotty1cardiff
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Mrs. Dotty1cardiff,

Let me thank you for having chosen the Domaine de Bel ombre as your preferred holiday destination and also for having commented on your holiday experience which will, for sure, help future travellers.

I will ensure that your appreciation is forwarded to all team members who will be very pleased.

When can you come back? Anytime you wish and it will be a honour for us to welcome you again and hopefully soon

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Czech first
East London, South Africa
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Such an amazing resort. The service is excellent. You are made to feel like royalty. The food is delicious. Very safe and child friendly. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Overall amazing honeymoon experience.

Room Tip: If you are wanting a room on the beach, specify this, as sea facing rooms are only sea facing and ma...
2 Thank thalia7777
Dear Mrs. Thalia7777,

I would like to join the team in thanking you for the beautiful review and for having preferred the Heritage Awali to celebrate your honeymoon.

Rest assured that I will forward your appreciation to all the members of the staff.

We all look forward to your next visit.

My best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Overall great experience. The staff were efficient, friendly and always had a smile. Nothing was too much trouble. The spa experience was amazing. The variety and choice of restaurants were fantastic. Hotel facilities were excellent. What a superb holiday. Definitely recommend Heritage Awali Resort.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend DeLuxe Rooms, very spacious and great view!
3 Thank DamitaJo2014
Dear DamitaJo2014,

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Heritage Awali as your preferred holiday destination and for commenting on your experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

I thank you also for recommending the Domaine to future guests.

We all look forward to welcoming you again and hopefully soon

Mauritius
Reviewed 3 May 2014

the hotel is very beautiful and very expensive hotel, but the service doesnot match the expectation at all. we were there for a special event and we did told the but nothing has been done at all. the food was ok, nothing impressive. there was a show on that day and that was quite nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sweetnavisha
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear sweetnavisha,

I would like to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your recent stay in Mauritius.

However, I am disappointed to read that we did not meet your holiday expectations. But please rest assured that I will, personally, look into the matter because our main goal is to ensure that we provide our guests with impeccable service.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again

Resident Manager
Bel Ombre, Mauritius
Burtonsville, Maryland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I've been to tropical island resorts all over the world and was looking forward to a week and half on Mauritius. Unfortunately, the Heritage Awali left me distinctly unimpressed.

I'm not sure if it was a language barrier (half the staff seemed to be unable to understand a standard American accent) or differences in cultural expectations, but I was left baffled trying to accomplish to most basic things like order lunch. There was little information in the room on available activities. In fact, the room didn't even have something as basic as a map of the resort. It didn't occur to me that I was expected to memorize the layout of the resort during the quick tour upon my arrival.

The food was unimpressive and ridiculously overpriced. I opted for the bed and breakfast rather than the all-inclusive when I booked the room. The breakfast buffet was reasonable. There was a good variety though it was repetitive and the foods that should have been hot weren't. You are required to make reservations to eat dinner at anything restaurant other than the buffet. That was a bit off-putting. I did try the buffet for dinner the first night. What a mistake. It was a disconnected array of random dishes. Everything that was supposed to be hot was cold. Plus, I got to spend the meal choking on the grease from the fried food station, which permeated the entire dining area. So ... I opted for only lunch on the remaining days. I tried Infinity Blue. The food would have been good if it wasn't so clearly reheated. The desserts were the only really good, fresh items on the menu. Amafrooty was much better with rather tasty sandwiches available for lunch, but these meals cost $50 for a sandwich and a coke. This was more than twice would you would pay for the same meal in Washington, DC (one of the most expensive cities in the US).

The rooms was luxurious and meticulously clean, but the bed had large rock hard lumps that had me tossing and turning all night. In addition, I could hear everything in the room above me including late night room service deliveries and furniture being moved around at 1AM.

I almost hate to rate the resort so poorly on service, because a number of the staff members were so sweet. Unfortunately, one encounter with a bratty staff member was unacceptable. She was assisting me in arranging a taxi at the end of my staff and repeatedly pretended not to understand the word noon when she asked me what time I would like it to arrive and then made a point of telling me that it would arrive at "twelve." It was a very passive aggressive way of being rude that I've encountered in France and other places with heavy French influence.

I never did figure out when and where I could book other activities, because again there was essentially zero information in the rooms and I was having serious communication difficulties with many of the staff. Eventually, I just gave up and spent the week reading by the beach.

Americans are rare travelers to Mauritius and this was a disappointing stay at what will likely by my only trip there.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have better access to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Free2B_StacieB
Dear Free2B_StacieB,

However, I am disappointed to read that your holiday experience has not been up to your expectations.

I have taken good note of the issues that you mentioned and please, rest assured, that I will personally look into the matter.

Should you have mentioned them whilst in the resort, we would have been able to solve same on the spot and you would have, surely, enjoyed your holidays.

I thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve, though.

We do wish to welcome you again in Mauritius as the reputation that we have built in terms of hospitality is known worldwide.

Hednesford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We have just returned from spending two weeks at the Awali to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. There are not enough words available to praise the standard of this hotel, quite simply it is a stunning experience. The food, service, accommodation, activities were absolutely first class. The staff went out of their way to help us celebrate our anniversary in style . A special mention to Emmanuel on the beach and Ayesha in the restaurant, but really the whole staff help to make your stay wonderful. I played 4 rounds of golf on what I can only describe as the best course I have ever seen. The presentation of it, and the service was sensational. The restaurants, bars, and entertainment were great. There was a fantastic variety of food on offer, and different meals available on every one of our 14 days. We would recommend this hotel without hesitation, and finances permitting, look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: We had a "quiet" room 6104, but I think all the rooms are of a fantastic quality
2 Thank Ian L
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Ian L,

It has been a pleasure for all of us to have had you as guests of the Heritage Awali and we wish to thank you for giving us this honour.

Thank you also for the beautiful review which I will forward to all the team members and especially to Emmanuel and Ayesha who were great assets to your stay with us.

We will be pleased to welcome you again and hopefully, rather sooner.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We have just returned from a fantastic family 40th birthdays celebration holiday at Awali. Awali catered to all of our needs (3-70 yrs) with both food and activities. The highlight for me was the diversity of sports on offer, and the quality of instructors providing each sport. Special thanks to Jerome who took us for a scenic coastal bike ride. He was especially considerate of all ages and abilities on the ride- taking into account bad backs and all!! Every effort was made by the fitness staff to make our stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible. I'm only disappointed that I didn't get more time on the tennis courts!!! ;)
Definitely an easy destination to write about!! http://wordsbybec.wordpress.com/

Room Tip: We had adjoining rooms on the ground floor which was great with the kids.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bec S,

I would like to join the team in thanking you for having preferred the Domaine de Bel Ombre for your recent stay in Mauritius

We were all pleased to have welcomed you and we hope to get the opportunity of doing it again.

I will forward your appreciation to all the team members and especially to Jerome.

We look forward to welcoming you again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort (Closed for renovation)
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!