“amazing golf course, lovely surroundings, good service”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“amazing golf course, lovely surroundings, good service”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Golf course is in the top 5 I have ever visited! The rooms and communal areas were always clean and the staff were very accommodating. Our morning and evening housekeeping team were lovely and really kind; they would tidy up anything out of place, fold or hang our clothes, and ensure we always had plenty of drinks and snacks available. Dinner in the main restaurant was also quite unhealthy; very limited selection of vegetables but plenty of meet, salads, and rice/pasta/bread etc - not a vegetarian-friendly or low-carb-friendly buffet. the other restaurants were good, very good! Blue infinity was amazing, the chateaux was AMAZING, C-Beach lunch selection was very good, and much much healthier than the others. If healthy diet is a priority, just be prepared to make some compromises, but its not too bad.

The main restaurant could have done with more for the breakfast options; continental breakfast lacked prunes (which I know may not be everyone's priority but I think should be offered as standard). The breakfast waiters did not always survey the room fully between servings guests drinks; often I had to accost them for coffee refills etc. 5* hotel staff should be vigilant and attentive, but often I found some of the more junior members of staff were a bit vacant and less attentive than those with more experience, but that is life!

The hotel host who welcomed us was not as knowledgeable about the hotel as one would expect; she told us the wifi in the bedrooms is chargeable, even though it wasnt; she didn't take us to all the facilities (pools, beaches, health centre, spa, etc) so we could orientate ourselfs and gets to know what is available; she said extra blankets fleecy are not available, but when we asked housekeeping 3 appeared by the evening. overall she was a bit clueless.

fitness facilities were as expected; the gym was well equipped, the pools were very nice (i like how there were different types of pools, very characterful), tennis courts very nice. I practice Yoga, and full classes were offered 3 times a week which was great for me. the teacher was very experienced, professional, very warm and personable.

beach was not the best, but was good enough.

overall: very good hotel, I would go back.

Room Tip: ask for a garden and beach view; more privacy than those directly on the beach front.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PrincessFrancoise
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Madam,

I wish to thank you for having preferred the Domaine de Bel Ombre for your last visit in Mauritius.

Thank you also for having taken some of your time to write down your holiday experience which will help travellers choose their future holiday destination.

I have taken good note of your suggestions and will personally ensure that they do not become recurrent issues and rest assured that your appreciation will be forwarded to all team members.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Domaine de Bel Ombre,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Czech first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband took me to Maurititus for my birthday. Heritage Awali is a great resort. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The waiters are there to serve you all day long (but can be a little slow at times)Plenty of activities to do if you wish. As a fantastic golf course if you play golf. You have 1 free massage throughout your stay and can pay for more if required. You don't get bored with the food as there are a few different restaurants to eat in that serve fab food. The rooms are spacious and clean. Went on a couple of trips that were reasonably priced. Would reccommend

Room Tip: Rooms in block 1000 & 4000 overlooked the sea
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Mrs. Debbie O,

I thank you for having taken some time to write down your holiday experience and for recommending the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

It has been an immense pleasure for us to have welcomed you in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

We all look forward to your next visit which we hope will be in a very close future

Blace, France
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Our first trip south of the equator and also to 'Africa' or the Indian Ocean. We are a family of 6 so this was far from cheap - we stayed for 16 nights all inclusive and it was just the best holiday we've had as a family. The service (smiling and helpful staff) the food (from every corner of the globe, spices that were both wonderful and inspiring) the rooms - ours a beach front suite, had all we needed.

Naturally with everything flowing, wines and food in abundance the waste-line suffered! and that's the only negative I can think of from the hotel.

Others did have some criticisms - the pools were cold, the waiters brought drinks too frequently. For me it was a truly relaxing experience and I don't think any of my family would turn down a return trip!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Simon--Newton
Dear Mr. Newton,

I wish to express my gratitude for having got the opportunity in welcoming you and your family in the Domaine de Bel Ombre last June/July 2013.

I will ensure that your appreciation is forwarded to all team members.

We do hope to get the honour to welcome you again at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

London
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I went for my honeymoon this April/May and it was excellent!

Where to start?? Well, the check in was smooth and efficient with very helpful staff. The rooms are really nice - there was a faint musty smell, but open the door and stick the fan on, gone in ten minutes.

The room itself has a walk in wardrobe, safe, separate toilet and shower and a massive bath. The main room is spacious, tiled with a proper king size bed. Quite a firm bed, but I slept like the dead. Nice big TV (and if you're homesick or footy mad, all the premiership games!!). Have a look at the hotel interactive service, very groovy and not something I'd seen before.

The place itself is pretty massive, well spread out blocks, only 2 storey's high so not too many stairs, but then again no lifts that I saw. There are several restaurants on site, but one main one for dinner and breakfast (balafon), and one main one for lunch (the beach one) that are for walk ins. All the rest are a la carte and very good, but you can only book 2 days in advance. I actually quite liked this because it meant everyone had a decent shot at getting nice bookings throughout their stay. You also get one freebie to the fancy 'Chateau' which was really nice (but beware the outrageous wine prices!!).

The food........ Outstanding! Caters for all sorts. Breakfast ranged from a full English (streaky bacon tho sadly) to continential to most things really. The lunch was excellent at the beach restaurant - try the chef specials, always delicious. The a la carte restaurants were even better though, so make sure you get up as spaces go quickly.

The Spa was cracking too. About £50 for a 45 minute massage, but well worth it and the spa itself has saunas, steam rooms etc too so just have a poke round, the staff are ace everywhere.

There were a couple of problems that we had, but the staff were immense throughout. I (in a truly special moment), dropped my wedding ring down the sink!! While my wife chuckled away through the incident, the maintenance staff were on hand within 5 minutes to tap into the trap and retrieve it! We also had a problem with our aircon packing up one night. Overflowing, drip, drip, drip - very annoying. The staff again were amazing, offered us a different room if maintenance couldn't sort it (which they did very quickly) and to compensate us we were treated to an hour massage and a special beachside meal on our last night.

Also, it is a family resort, so kids can be pretty annoying - be wary of school holidays. That said, they have a kiddies club to distract them, so the grownups can crack on with some serious relaxing.

The entertainment on site was a bit hit and miss, perhaps we just got unlucky with the activities, but to be honest they were only there to fill a bit of boredom time. There is a nature reserve on the estate which looks amazing, but we managed to miss going to it between other excursions etc.

Also, make sure you find time to go to the beach club, free water skiing, snorkelling etc, great time filler!

But......and I mean a big but.... if you go there on honeymoon.... let your husband take his golf clubs!!! The golf course is a thing of sheer magnificence. My wife hates (affectionately!) Old man sports like cricket and golf, but was really just happy to walk around with me, the landscaping, the back drop, the views, simply stunning. And the course was probably one of the best most people will play on, ever!

Best thing about it is you have a shuttle service to take you to and from each place. The drivers are really nice too - always good to ask them what's really worth seeing on the island.

As for the staff - so nice. The Mauritian people are a delight, they made the stay even better.

The only possible downer for this place is that it seems everyone is either on Honeymoon or (and I mean this in a nice way), part of a 10 family strong French group! If you are dreaming of a place where nobody is on honeymoon and you think you're the only newly weds, this aint the one. That said, if you're prepared for that, you'll have the time of your lives!

Overall though, I'm so happy with this place. You'd have to be pretty pompous not to like it!

Room Tip: Beach rooms are great, but just further from the hotel bar! If you can afford it though, get a villa...
3 Thank monkeywannabanana
Dear valued guests,

All the team members and I would like to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your recent holidays in Mauritius.

We wish to thank you for the beautiful and detailed review for which you have spared some of your precious time writing down; review which will, for sure, help travellers choose their future holiday destination.

I am, truly, honoured to read that my staff have, directly or indirectly, contributed to the success of your holiday experience.

We do look forward to your next visit in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and we do hope rather sooner

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was our 2nd time staying at Awali. The atmosphere is so relaxing, the people are friendly. The service from all involved (from room servicing, reception, restaurants, beach and bars) was excellent. The staff really tried their best to connect with you and make your holiday a memorable one. The room was comfortable. We loved the little gifts and Champagne in the room. A very nice touch. Have previously referred friends to Awali as well and they enjoyed it just as much! Thank you Awali.

1 Thank Asset3
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear valued guests,

I wish to thank you for sharing your holiday experience and helping travellers choose their holiday destination. Thank you also for your trust in our product.

The whole team and I are very pleased to read that we have met your expectations and we do hope to welcome you again for a 3rd visit in the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

RESIDENT MANAGER
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned after spending the most amazing 10 days at the awali.
It all began with an amazing reception from Nadine on the first day we arrived. Nadine greeted us in such a manner we've never felt so special. Nothing was too much trouble for her. The gorgeous smelling cool towel (orange and cinammon) that she gave us was also a welcomed relief after a 24 hour journey!
The hotel is incredible... I've read some pretty rude and negative comments about the awali on trip advisor and I can only imagine they've visited the wrong hotel because it certainly doesn't reflect this one!!! The ambience is fantastic and the African style is intimate and absolutely perfect for honeymooners!
I could spend hours and hours writing about how amazing the staff were but there a few people who really stood out and I feel they deserve a special mention on here.
Emmanuel and Edison the 'beach boys' were sooo lovely, once again nothing was too much trouble for them and Emmanual was constantly checking that we had everything we needed and wouldn't let me lift a finger .... Please make sure you pass this on to them.
Vella and Rosie in the Zenzibar... They both made sure our glasses were never empty and were so creative with my drinks (as I'm a non-alcoholic drinker)!!
Atish in the balafon... Such a polite boy who made sure everything was perfect for us every morning for breakfast and in the evenings when we did the buffet.
Finally the person who most stood out for us was Emiliano in the fitness centre... What an incredible person he is. So talented and was always making sure myself and my husband had what we needed. His customer service was exceptional and I only wish we had more people like him in England!!!! I know not everyone visits the gym on holiday but please so - his classes are custom made and he is always trying to please!!! This boy deserves a supervisor or managerial role in the near future.
Finally his colleague Kurrun... Amazing person with big ambitions and an absolute pleasure to meet! I wanted to take them all home!!!!
I had to write a negative on the awali's page as this wasn't their fault but I think it's worth mentioning ... We visited the Chateaux de bel Ombre (1 meal included in our all inclusive package)... We had a table booked for 8 o'clock and when we turned up the table wasn't ready ... The lady asked us to sit outside and have a drink however we weren't given drink menu's and after 45 minutes we still hadn't been served. I asked the lady how long it would be and she thought it would be at least another 20 minutes before the people had left....it got to 9 o'clock and myself and my husband decided to leave as we had sat there for an hour without knowing when we would be eating. It was such a shame as it was one of our last nights and was supposed to be special but when we mentioned this at the chateaux they simply just ordered us a shuttle back to the hotel and didn't seem to care! Very disappointed but as I mentioned before - this is hardly the Awali's fault!
You won't be disappointed visiting the awali I can guarantee it... We will definitely be back, I just need to save some money :)
Thank-you Christophe for such an incredible holiday but full credit to the staff at the awali as the experience wouldn't have been the same without them.
Rachel and Dan :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Roofyrkh
Dear Rachel and Dan,

I would like to thank you for having commented so dearly on your stay in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and most especially for having given us the honour in welcoming you at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Nadine, Emmanuel, Edilson, Vella, Rosie, Attish, Emiliano and Kurrun will be very pleased to know that they were great assets and that they contributed to the success of your holiday experience.

Vikram, the responsible for the Chateau de Bel Ombre was informed of your experience there and is doing his best to avoid any recurrent issue.

I am happy to read that you wish to come back after having saved some money.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My Husband and I recently returned home after staying at Heritage Awali for our Honeymoon.

The rooms
We have travelled extensively and found that the rooms at the Awali were the most aesthetically pleasing that we've ever stayed in. They really are in-keeping with the African theme that runs throughout the hotel. Large overall, His and Her Sinks, lovely deep bath, nice size shower, walk in wardrobe (handy, so you don't have suitcases cluttering up the room), balcony seating was comfortable sofa style, gorgeous view of the swimming pool and ocean in the distance. All rooms are close to the amenities.

The Staff
Friendly and Efficient (although some days some staff didn't seem as attentive as others on other days, so this was a bit inconsistent)

The food
This was lovely. There was not a huge choice of food but what was there, was cooked fresh and cooked well. Quality over quantity I Guess. Myself and husband were well fed everyday. What we found different (in a good way) was the made to order meals each afternoon in the infinity blue bar as opposed to the buffet lunches that you usually find at all inclusive resorts. The food was stunning and again cooked well, although the menu choice was not that varied so we found ourselves having the same meal a few days running.

The Beach
Very clean, lovely white sandy beach with crystal clear blue sea. Bit of a strong current and very shallow so difficult for those who wish to swim but for a paddle or a dip stunning which was perfect for us.

The Pools
Loved the infinity pool overlooking the sea. Clean and never crowded. Plenty of sun-loungers to choose from. Drinks served to you from staff at the bar to your sun-lounger just make sure you give them a smile or nod when they come around otherwise sometimes they just walk straight past.

Overall Experience
Loved it! My only gripe was signing for bills after every meal. It seemed such a pointless task for both staff and us as the bill kept saying 0.00 as we were All Inclusive. Just a little frustrating at times when we had to wait for them to produce a bill when we wanted to get back to the pool or beach or the bar for entertainment. The evening entertainment in Zenzibar was good we enjoyed tapping our feet to the band and the other singers that entertained us each evening. Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I am sure they are all good rooms with good views!
1 Thank ThomasTC
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Madam,

Let me thank you for the detailed review of your holiday experience which will help future travellers decide on their holiday destination.

I wish to inform you that we were very pleased to have had the opportunity of welcoming you at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort.

Please rest assured that your appreciation will be forwarded to all the members of the staff and that I have taken good note on areas where improvement is required.

Regarding the billing process and signature from guests, kindly be informed that it is part of our procedure which enables us to have a better control.

We all look forward to your next visit in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!