Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Ok”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We went for a few days with friends. Communal areas excellent especially the bar. All inclusive was great and we even got a free massage.
The rooms were disappointing. The entrance to each block was quite shabby and the room smelt damp. Despite that, the rooms were well laid out, nicely decorated with a good bathroom.
The staff were all very friendly. We ate at the Infinity Blue restaurant which was pleasant. Breakfast OK but have had better at a 5 star hotel.
My husband played golf twice and said the course was exceptional. Green fees were included in the package although you paid for a buggy.
If the rooms were brought up to the standard of the communal areas it would make a big difference.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear valued guest,

I thank you for sparing some of your time to write down your holiday experience and most importantly, thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your last stay in Mauritius.

I am pleased to inform you that we are currently refurbishing all the rooms and we hope to get the honour of welcoming you again so that you can see the improvement.

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Czech first
Tarporley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This review is of a visit I made with my wife and daughter in December 2013. I'm writing it now having just booked to go again this December. We've stayed at other places in Mauritius but this was by far the best. Very good food throughout, with the buffet being a good standby. It's important to try out a few of the other restaurants around the resort and you have to book for these. It just means a little planning. We had the most amazing meal in Ginja - I don't eat meat and the flavours were incredible. It was a little expensive but certainly worth it. There's a few places to go for lunch and I was never disappointed. The Chateaux is very nice, but I was quite wary simply because of reading other people's reviews. The food is good, as is the service, just be aware that you'll be paying for the wine.
I was a little surprised at seeing negative reviews of the Awali, and whilst we were there I did see a large group who weren't very happy - it was something to with the key cards. They were complaining to a member of staff and it did look like they were over-reacting. One thing I see people complain about is the small birds in the eating areas. I've visited lots of hotels in tropical climates and there's nothing sort of netting and birds of prey to keep them away - there always birds. You just have to expect them and be careful if it bothers you.
The beach is good, but do be aware that the current is very strong on the Awali side of the beach. If you go over the bridge to the Telfair part of the complex there's another spectacular beach that you can use - we tended to alternate between the two.
In terms of trips out, I can really recommend hiring a driver to take you to various parts of the island. We had a very pleasant and knowledgable driver and got on really well with him. I can recommend visiting the Grand Bassin. It's a location sacred to Hindus. I'm not at all religious but we all felt we were very welcome and had an experience you can only really get by visiting somewhere, not just reading about it.
The staff at The Heritage Awali were a key part of why we enjoyed our holiday so much. They were really professional and friendly. They always remembered us I felt there was a genuine warmth and care for their work.
Another thing that I think it's worth mentioning is their laundry service. They washed, ironed and packed all our luggage for a very reasonable amount - it really helped the transition back into the real world.
I can definitely recommend the Awali, and am looking forward to returning again this year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank earthlet
Dear valued guests,

I am honoured to know that, once again, you have preferred the Heritage Awali for your next stay in Mauritius and I thank you dearly for this.

Thank you also for sharing your last holiday experience, which I ensure will be forwarded to all members of the staff.

We will be delighted to see you again in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just returned from our second trip to the Heritage Awail, which is very unusual for us as we always try to go somewhere new. However the Awali is such a delight that we couldnt resist celebrating our first wedding anniversay and my husbands birthday there - and we will be back.

I can only echo the other reviews on the quality of the food, you can be as formal or as informal as you like from fine dining at the Chateau to pizza on the beach for lunch. We particularly liked the C beach for both lunch and dinner but all are good. Bars, spa etc all excellent, and by the end of the holiday the bar team had our drinks on the bar before we had even sat down.

But what really makes this place for us is the staff. Friendly and welcoming they can't do enough for you, and seem to know what you want before you do. Particular thanks to Jean Marie for keeping us well supplied with Mauritian 'lime and sodas' by the pool, Chris, Kurran and Emiliano for the fantastic spinning classes that kept the llbs at bay for the fortnight and to Joelle for organising such a lovely anniversay dinner. Didnt get a change to talk to the manager whilst I was over there but if I had I would have told him what a fantastic team he has. and I hope to see them all soon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jan C
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Mrs. Jan C,

Jean Marie, Chris, Kurrun, Emiliano and Joelle join me in to thank you for having preferred, once again, the Heritage Awali for your last stay in Mauritius and especially for the celebration of your first wedding anniversary

It has been a great honour for us to have you in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and we thank you for your trust.

I will ensure to personally meet you next time you come.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We spent 6 nights at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, was a wonderful honeymoon, between the romantic and relaxing, the quality and characteristics of the food in the restaurant was fabulous Staff always helpful and friendly and always with a friendly smile. The only drawback was a day of bad weather, which we have lived in the resort using the services alternative to the beach or the pool, including the spa and gym.
A truly lovely place amidst a sea coral ele expanses of sugar cane plantations.
Vacation highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Salvatore B
Dear Mr. SaBa46,

We wish to thank you for having spared some time to write down your holiday experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and we do thank you for that.

I will ensure that your appreciation is forwarded to all members of the staff.

We hope to get the immense pleasure of welcoming you again

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

In recent years we have had some pretty awful "A/i " holidays, having to fight for seats,service and satisfaction amongst some seriously ill mannered holiday makers from all over the world ,who have seemed hell bent on gluttony and sheer waste as a natural way of life !!
But enter the Awali,(greeted by a personal Drummer who makes ever new-commer welcome !!)and instantly you are immersed with glorious and sincere individual attention .In todays world ,this a rarity------------but lovely if you receive it.
The system operated at Awali ,is one difficult to find fault with we found,and regardless of what you seek in a holiday ,there is something here for you ...and provided with quality and a smile !!
Such friendly staff,and as foodies -----------we were absolutely delighted at the continual standard of both presentation and variation of their menu options .
We stayed in a beautiful room ,ground floor ,Block 3 ,Deluxe Ocean View............superb dont go less !because it is worth it.
Air Mauritius.........no frills here I am afraid,and am glad we booked Emergency door areas @ about £85 pp return ,extra. Food on plane ,we thought was awful...shame .
But once you hit Awali , all negativity dissapears !!..........So well done everyone at The Awali.....
And as I said to all the staff ....all the time we were there in May this year 2014...........................Merry Christmas !!,and like General McArthur said in Pacific 1944.......We shall return !!!!!
Congratulations &thanks ....Steve & Sandra Williams , Somerset.

Room Tip: Block 3,Deluxe Ocean View
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank STEVE W
Dear Mr. Steve W,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your recent holidays in Mauritius. Thank you also for commenting and sharing your holiday experience on Tripadvisor.

My staff will be made aware of your comments which will please them.

We look forward to your next visit in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We spent 9 nights at the Awali hotel for our honeymoon. After a long journey we were welcomed by friendly staff and were shown to our room. We had a beach front room which was scenic and well worth the extra money. The rooms were lovely, always clean, daily mini bar top up including beer and coke, free wi- fi, comfortable bed, big bath with a separate shower.
The staff are always ready to help and are always pleasant and welcoming.
Thee are plenty of activities to do if you want, even though we just chilled for the week therefore we can't really comment.
The food was first class, we found it a bit confusing when we arrived having been told we had to book at certain restaurants with 48 hours notice. We got used to this as the week went on. However, we didn't mind as the food was always tasty and of high standard.
Definitely recommend this hotel for a very special occasion.

Room Tip: We had a beach front (2nd floor) room which was lovely to wake up to in the morning. It depends how...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart H
Dear Mr. Stuart H,

It is with great pleasure that I went through your review and I thank you for having taken some of your time to write down your holiday experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

I wish to thank you also for having preferred the Heritage Awali. I will ensure that your appreciation is forwarded to the team members who will be delighted to know that they met your holiday expectations

We do hope to get the honour of welcoming you again here and hopefully, in a near future

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 11 June 2014

From the moment we were welcomed by the deep thud-thud-thud of the drum as our taxi arrived at the porte cochere, to the moment we waved our good byes, we were amazed by this wonderful place. The staff exceeded expectations and our experience are way up there in our books as the BEST experience ever. The room we were in was so beyond the norm - it was tastefully decorated with functionality in mind yet not any luxury spared. We were 10 meters from the water's edge and soft lighting of the palm trees outside meant that we were reminded of our lush surroundings even after the sun set for the day.

The food was amazing. Even here there is a clear message of "no effort is too much and we love having you here". The buffet is arranged in a way that makes sense but although there is so much to choose from, you do not feel overwhelmed as is often the case at buffet stations. The main course of the evening is displayed so that you have an example of what your plate will look like - handy! The Chefs were incredibly helpful in a way that might go unnoticed but yet contributed to the wonderful experience. Even though each Chef has their station to man, if they see that another station is particularly busy, they never hesitated to assist without being asked. It was not uncommon to see Chefs relieving each other if their is a busy station versus a quieter one. The result is a well functioning buffet. We were treated to a private dining experience in a secluded spot outside the main Restaurant and about a meter from the beach. Oh. My. Goodness. The service was personal and special and the food was superb. We have two young boys (3 and 4 years) and we were prompted to request what we would like to order for them rather than order from a menu - thus assuring our boys had exactly what we knew they would like to eat resulting in a happy, relaxed mom.

We visited the spa and had a very relaxing experience. For the duration of our massages, it seemed as if time paused. The service is personalised and sincere. Note: If you visit this magnificent place, be sure to purchase some of their aroma signature burner fragrance from the Spa. It will transport you back to Mauritius and remind you of the most amazing time spent at Heritage Awali.

A visit to Mauritius will not be the same without snorkeling in the South of the island. And specifically the South because - as glaringly evident during your approach my road to Awali - nature is more untouched in this part of the island. As with all things Awali - you are not just merely taking to 'a good spot' but a guide gets in the water with you to point things out that an untrained eye might miss. A vast range of other water activities are available as well, including windsurfing (equipment for hire) at the stunning C Beach club - a 3 minute walk by beach and part of the Heritage group. The beach itself is one of the best on the island with soft sand that stretches forever with minimal loose coral. We never needed our 'coral shoes' and the water was clear and brilliantly blue.

Our children were made to feel so welcome and staff easily engaged with them. There was a sincerity to their interactions that set them apart from the other resort we stayed at during this trip. Our children were at ease from the word go and the Timomo Kids Club had a great schedule of activities, in a clean, secure and spacious dedicated area (with it's own small kiddies pool). The staff were expertly selected for this and their passion and warmth is reassuring.

All staff, not just those in Guest Relations (as would usually be expected), ended phrases with 'if you need anything else, please do not hesitate to call me'. Not 'phone guest relations' or 'will there by anything else?'. It was as if each and every staff member - not just those dedicated to the area you are in - would find immense pleasure in assisting us with anything that we would need help with. It felt like we were on the set of a film capturing 'the best holiday'.

Thank you to Christophe for welcoming us to your esteemed resort and Roselle for going beyond the call of duty to make our stay memorable. We felt privileged to stay with you - thank you for making it so easy to fall in love with Awali and all of the staff who enthusiastically and wholeheartedly work here.

Choosing Awali as your port of call during a stay in Mauritius will be a great decision!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MBassi
Dear Family Bassi,
The Awali team and I would like to thank you for having preferred our resort for your recent stay in Mauritius
Thank you also for the beautiful and detailed review of your holiday experience with us. It has been a real pleasure for us to make you discover the Mauritian culture through our services, products and people.
I am really honoured to know that we have exceeded your expectations and that you had the :Best experience"
Please rest assured that I will forward your appreciation to all members of the staff who contributed directly and indirectly to the success of your holidays.
We would, definitely, love to welcome you again in the Domaine de Bel Ombre and we do hope that it is to be in a very close future
Please send our greetings to Matteo and Luca and my best regards to you all,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort (Closed for renovation)
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,694 reviews
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!