“A perfect honeymoon”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed 17 July 2014

For those people that want a relaxing and enjoyable holiday, this is the place to. With something for everyone. The Seven Colour Spa is just amazing, the golf course is just superb offering a short 9 hole course and the championship 18. The views on the course are just amazing from every green and the club house.
There are many water sports on offer including A PADI dive resort. The weather precluded me from diving as much as I would have liked to, the Divemaster was very friendly, the kit is mainly Cressi and in generally good condition. The resort's dive site is 5 minutes by boat. The currents are quite strong so we did a drift dive, the lagoon is full of marine life. Great experience.

This was our first visit to Mauritius and to the Hertiage Awali Golf and Spa resort we could not fault anything about the hotel and staff. From being met by drums on arrival to our check out at 0400 the staff were really friendly. The hotel is very clean, with house keeping visiting twice a day and an army of staff making sure everything is ready for the next day.

The hotel offers it's own excursions, which we did the dolphin excursion, which I would recommend to anyone that gets chance to do it, an amazing experience.
The food and restaurants that the hotel has to offer is just fantastic. There is not much else I can say about the food other than just superb.

My only regret was that we didn't stay longer. We will be going again and next time we will be taking our children.

Room Tip: Rooms are roughly all the same, but for the added romantic touch the beachfront ones are worth that...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven J
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Mr. Steven J,

The whole team and I would like to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your last stay in Mauritius and thank you for having spared some time to write down your holiday experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

I will ensure that my team members get your appreciation and we will be pleased to welcome you again and with the children this time.

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort,
Domaine de Bel Ombre,Mauritius

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I asked Jo, the Managing Director of our travel agents, The Departure Lounge, Bury to arrange a nice holiday for my wife's birthday and she came up with 10 nights at the Heritage Awali in Mauritius and 4 nights in Dubai on the way back. What a superb choice. From the moment we were drummed ( literally ) into the Awali to the moment we left, the service, accommodation, food and drink were all excellent. Although it was their winter it was still warmer than the summers we enjoy here in Manchester. I said to one of the girls who was dressed in a hooded fleece with a scarf and gloves whilst handing out beach towels " I hope we don't get the weather your expecting!" but I think it was bit lost on her.
Although they were refurbishing the Infinity Blue restaurant they had moved it to a different location and the food and service in there was magnificent. We dined there on three occasions and I had the beef fillet each time and it was cooked to perfection and only got better and better. We dined in the main restaurant, Balafon, other nights and the food and service were again impeccable- even up to the staff taking your full plate off you at the buffet and carrying it back to your table for you.
We did have a slight problem with the toilet in our room but Natacha sorted it out and moved us to another room on the complex. All the staff are very pleasant, very polite and can't do enough for you. Special mention to Natacha ( again ) who seemed to be everywhere and to Nicki who persevered with my wife and I whilst we tried archery even arranging a lesson for us before the normal lesson because that one was full and we were leaving before the next scheduled lesson. The waiters in the ZensiBar by the pool quickly remember what you're drinking and sometimes you don't even have to ask for a drink it just appears!
We only left the complex on one occasion and that was for a tour of the south western part of the island with a firm called Connections. The tour was great as there were only the two of us on the minibus and Iris ( Estelle ) our excellent guide gave us her full attention. Part of the tour was a superb lunch at a restaurant called Le Chamarel and if you have never had palm heart you need to try it.
My only complaint about Connections the firm, was that they automatically converted my payment into GBP without asking me and contrary to what it said on the receipt ( that I was offered the choice - which I wasn't ) I'm still in correspondence with them about that!
That didn't detract from the excellent stay we had at the Heritage Awali and if we go back to Mauritius, we will certainly stop there.

3  Thank Roywad
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Roywad,

Let me thank you and Madam for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your recent stay in Mauritius and also for commenting on your holiday experience.

I will ensure that your appreciation is forwarded to all team members, most especially to Natacha and Nicki who will be pleased to know that they contributed to the success of your holidays.

We do hope to get the honour of welcoming you again and hopefully, in a very near future.

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort,
Domaine de Bel Ombre,Mauritius

Reviewed 11 July 2014

For those wondering if you should go, I can highly recommend the Heritage Awali. It won't matter if you go for a honeymoon, special anniversary or just a great relaxing holiday, you will not be disappointed. We have just returned from our fourth visit in 9 years, our last time 5 years ago, and this was our best yet.
So many reviewers have pointed out the resorts attributes, but we can only endorse all the positives. You really are made to feel special by every one of the team, from gardeners, beach staff, all the waiters through to Christophe, the General Manager, who all are happy when you are happy. Especial thanks to Joel, Ishmal, Julio and Sunny, who all treated us like family.
A couple of tips if you are going....As to be expected after a long trip, when you get there (8am in our case having flown with BA direct from Gatwick), it is easy to miss something from the excellent briefing, so try to double check the following day on where you can eat and what is covered in the all inclusive. In the restaurants you will often be asked if you would like a glass of red or white wine, but there is a decent selection of bottles included on the wine list, so ask for the list and make your own choice...can recommend Bellingham Premier Grand Crus if you like a dry white, and the Mapu from Chile was an excellent red. Food is outstanding at the Infinity Blue, and even though they are renovating the original restaurant ( should be back open in September), the quality is still top notch...try the noodles with chicken and prawns at lunchtime, fillet steak, freshwater prawns (more like small Lobsters), and the Dorado in the evening. We booked ahead and had no troubles getting a table. C beach club was great for alfresco lunches, and a decent 15 minute meander back along the beach was just the thing before an afternoon snooze.
Car hire is easy, driving is no problem, just look out for mopeds meandering around in the main towns, as they often turn the opposite way to that they are signalling! There is a Speedy supermarket 5 minutes away, stocking most everyday essentials, including cigarettes, nappys and baby food etc, so don't overload if you have young children with you.
We were in block 7 which is right on the beach, and highly recommend the extra cost. All rooms are being renovated with new bedside lighting, wall colourings and TV's fixed to walls, and these will all be finished by the end November. The renovations are being done so well, you really wouldn't know, so don't worry if you are due to go shortly, they will not interfere at all.
We will be working hard to save for the next trip, but we will def be back!

Room Tip: Rooms are arranged by blocks, each numbered, we were in block 7, beachfront first floor. The ground...
4  Thank Jerry W
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Mr. and Mrs. W,

The whole team and I were really pleased to have welcomed you for the 4th time in our resort and we thank you for your trust.

We will be honoured to welcome you again and hopefully, with your 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren.

Joelle, Ishmal, Julio and Sunny will be delighted to know that they have contributed to the success of your holiday experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is the best hotel I have stayed in!. All the staff are friendly and there is nothing that is too much bother for them. They are so attentive without being intrusive.
The food is out of this world, in all the restaurants whether you want a quick snack or a full three course blow out meal! The C Club is such a chilled place to have lunch and has a great view.

Room Tip: Ask for an up grade when you arrive at the hotel, its a gamble but a lot cheaper than booking before...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Giles P

Dear Mr. Giles P,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort for your recent stay in Mauritius

I would like to thank you also for having taken some of your time to write down your holiday experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

We all hope to get the honour of welcoming you again here.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at the Awali for 9 nights on Honeymoon during June 2014.
The food, staff, atmosphere, location and activities are all fantastic
The Infinity Blue restaurant and the C Beach club were our favourite restaurants.
The golf course is in fantastic condition and made us a packed lunch for our rounds
Book here for a holiday, honeymoon etc and you won't be disappointed

Room Tip: Anything facing the sea
4  Thank tdb83

Dear valued guests,

I wish to thank you for your review and for having preferred the Domaine de Bel Ombre for your recent stay in Mauritius

We hope to get the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at the stunning Heritage Awali on the all inclusive package as our honeymoon (we were married on 21st June and stayed at the Awali 24th June - 1st July). Having researched options in Mauritius very carefully, the Awali came out top of our pile and we couldn't have been happier that it did.

Firstly, I'd like to address some of the negatives that other people have mentioned because if like us you read reviews to do your research before you book, it's important to hear about them! We had no issues with any of the things others have mentioned, so from my perspective;

1) All inclusive - not complicated at all as to what you can have, where and / or when, and what is extra, and if in doubt refer to your sheet... or ask!
On arrival at the hotel, you are given a 2-sided A4 page detailing very clearly what is, and is not, included on the all inclusive package and at what times, where. You also get a very complex sheet of what activities are run on which days. The number of different dining options there are make it very easy to have a meal and a drink at whatever time you'd like to, what activities are free, and what things are extra. My husband and I knew we needed to be careful about what we did, where, and when - but the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and helpful, and if we were ever confused or in doubt, we just asked. It really wasn't complicated!

2) Advance booking - Make your reservations for your first two nights through your tour operator if you're really that bothered, and be sure to take time to read your paperwork.
The Balafon restaurant is a 3 times a day turn up and eat what you like from the buffet restaurant. The Amafrooty mini restaurant located in ZenZiBar is a help yourself from noon until evening snack / junk food / hot option restaurant. Both don't need to be booked at all. The Infinity Blue is a turn up for lunch whatever day you feel like option - that's 1 on-site non-book breakfast, 3 on-site non-book lunch options, and 1 on-site non-book evening option.

Infinity Blue does need to be booked 48 hours in advance for the evening through the Balafon restaurant - this was made clear to us by our tour operator as we booked the holiday. I'd recommend that you book this for your first and second night in advance if you enjoy seafood, but that wasn't impossible to do had we chosen to.

As part of the all inclusive package, you also get the option of dining once at Le Chateaux, which is a 24 hour in advance pre-book. You need to pay for drinks, and some of the meal options do require a supplement (like Lobster) but the menu is very clear as to what is what with this. Again, had we chosen to book this for our first night, the tour operator could have arranged this for us.

The package we were on also included a candle-light meal as we were honeymooners - this is run on a Tuesday and a Thursday. Having missed this bit of information to be in time for either option, the front desk very kindly contacted Infinity Blue and booked a special 'off-night' version for us - staff go out of their way to be helpful and accommodating.

The food was so good at Balafon, Amafrooty and Infinity Blue that we didn't wander as far (not that it IS far!) as C Beach Club, where we could have dined for lunch at 2 non-book restaurants and for an evening meal at 1 non-book restaurant, with limitations on what could be had.

Due to some issues with our booking in advance of arrival we were also given a free meal at Gin'ja (though it isn't included generally in the all inclusive package, it is definately worth a visit), the Tel Afair's Oriental Fusion restaurant. This, too, needed to be booked in advance, partly because it isn't open every night.

3) Dress code - It isn't painful or difficult to be a little smarter, marginally so, for evenings and it adds something to the experience - enjoy the sense of occasion!
The Awali (and other linked Heritage resorts) have recently relaxed the dress code and a little card detailing the simple guidelines can be found in the bedrooms. The dress code is from 6.30pm through all bars and restaurants, but essentially is a 'no t-shirts, flip-flops or beach shorts'. A polo shirt (which classes as collared), pair of cotton chinos and trainers was fine for men. Women get off relatively lightly (though I think wearing bikini tops would have been pushing it!) but I always opted for a long skirt or trousers to avoid potential mosquito bites, and if wearing open toed, heeled sandals, ensured I was well covered in insect repellant. Indeed, trousers and longer sleeves are recommended on several travel sites from dusk to avoid being bitten. It certainly wasn't hard to 'dress for dinner' and it ensured we felt a sense of occasion, albeit relaxed. It added a certain something to the holiday.

In addition, there were plenty of tables located on solid ground rather than sand, so you certainly didn't need to get sand into smart shoes regardless of which restaurant you opted for.

4) Waiting for your 2pm check in - If you're due to arrive before 2pm, pack a change of clothes, sunglasses and sunscreen in your carry-on to change into, and crash out on a beach lounger for an hour.
Ok, you've traveled for 24 hours (by the time you've left your house in the UK, gotten to the airport, flown to Dubai, waited for your next flight, flown to Mauritius, been transferred from the airport to the hotel) and you're tired. You arrive at 12.30pm and want to collapse into your bedroom. Well, check out isn't until 12 noon. The cleaners are quick, and excellent, and they have high standards. Unless there is 1 cleaner on shift per room checking out, you aren't getting into your room before 2pm, because they can't be expected to get through all of those rooms immediately. Anyone complaining about this is being a little unrealistic. You can't have such a generous late check-out time AND have access to your room the second you arrive. However, we were given a delicious refreshing drink, filled out / showed appropriate paperwork, were offered the use of showers to freshen up, shown what was where, and were pointed in the direction of lunch whilst our room as turned around. By the time we'd had a drink, some food, and a quick change of clothing from our cabin luggage, our room was ready.

5) "Tired" decor - The Awali is intentionally charmingly rustic and gorgeous, and is being carefully refurbished anyway.
The Awali has been open for 10 years. The decor has been described by other reviewers as tired or shabby, but we honestly didn't feel or find this to be the case at all. One of the accommodation blocks was in the process of being refurbished as we were there - lots of local tradesmen smiling and saying hello as they came in and out with paint, or clambered up to re-roof (thatch, essentially) the building. We found out from our BRILLIANT cleaner, Sakir, that we were the last people to be staying in our bedroom before it was re-decorated.

The Infinity Blue is undergoing an over-haul too. The Awali has relocated the I.B. staff and menu to a section of Balafon, which is why it's still possible to eat there even though it is 'shut for refurbishment'. We were anxious that the I.B was undergoing work but were delighted with how carefully and thoughtfully the resort had dealt with this.

In all cases, the noise interruption is minimal, can't be heard from the residences or the beach, and can only be heard as you're walking directly past.

Having addressed some of the common 'gripes' others have had with the Awali, the number of positive things we could share about this place is phenomenal, but comes down to this - ambiance. The staff are all incredibly warm and genuinely helpful - no false smiles or platitudes in sight. They care and want to give you the very best experience they can.

In particular, the following people deserve an extra special mention;

ZenZiBar - Danny, Vanessa, Vish, Abernash
Balafon - Olivier
Beach Bar - Sadly we didn't get the name of the lady who didn't stop smiling and laughing, but she was brilliant, as were the other staff there during our stay - we were 'shooed' very kindly and nicely away from the bar and had immediate beach lounger service the first visit, and after that we were spoiled rotten with drinks, and even having pizzas delivered to our sun loungers.
Room Cleaning - Sakir
Reception / Front of House - Natacha and Sharone

There were many, many others who we didn't directly deal with but who were utterly brilliant - Shuma (the heavily pregnant cleaning lady) always had a warm smile and hello for us, as did all of the tireless grounds-keeping staff.

We very quickly stopped requesting specific drinks and trusted the staff to provide us with delicious cocktails. The highlight was a Pina Colada served in a hollowed out pineapple - delicious! If you like beer, DO try the Blue Marlin. We only discovered it on the last day of our stay, sadly.

The food at all of the restaurants, be it the breakfast buffet, self-serve bar snacks or waited table service, was fresh, delicious and presented beautifully.

The free massage at the 7 Colours Spa was wonderful, but we had a trip planned immediately following it and sadly didn't get to investigate the Sauna or Cold Plunge Pool.

There were only two minor issues our entire stay - one was down to translation issues (I was served the wrong dish at a restaurant which wouldn't have been an issue, but I had a moral objection to what the dish I was given was served with - the waiter simply got muddled between Quail and Chicken), and the other was someone being a little 'jobsworth' about a picnic booking (when his colleague who I'd approached to ask had just said 'yes') and the maximum cash we could withdraw from the hotel as Sunday is apparently a short cash day, when we'd been spoiled utterly by previous staff and hadn't expected that approach. Sadly, back to back on the same night! But on both occasions, staff were very quick to sort things out and do their level best for us (I was brought the right meal quickly, and we ended up being able to book our picnic after all), and it certainly didn't detract from an otherwise perfect (beyond perfect) stay.

Tips for fellow travelers to the Awali;

Pack a change of clothes, sunglasses and sunscreen in your carry-on luggage, and you'll be able to relax and enjoy the resort as soon as you get there, even if your room isn't quite ready.

'Winter' time (May to July, ish) is around 20 to 23 degrees. If, like me, you don't like it too hot, this is warm enough to be in t-shirts and shorts and to sunbathe on the beach but without being uncomfortably warm. The added bonus is that it is considered off season, is slightly cheaper and not as crowded at various tourist attractions. If you want it hotter, look at the seasonal temperatures and plan your holiday timing accordingly. We specifically chose 'winter', as the temperatures were perfect for us.

As soon as you can upon arrival, speak to the front desk team about activities - what you'd like to do, and when it is available. We had a few things booked privately before we arrived and as a result didn't take advantage of all the free activities available. We will next time! Remember that the resort includes a golf course and a nature reserve...

Avoid buying anything from, or engaging with, the beach hawkers. They do take no for an answer, and security staff appear from no-where if they stop and appear to be bothering you, but if you are friendly and approachable they'll start their banter. A polite 'no thanks' stopped them coming close.

Smile and say hello! Everyone will to you. The Mauritian approach is very relaxed and the sooner you adopt a less reserved attitude, the more you'll enjoy your stay.

Take note of staff names (they all wear name tags) and be sure to praise them on here, as well as in your end of stay questionnaire. They all work incredibly hard and deserve the credit. The same staff could be found setting up the bar at 9.30/10am as were closing up at midnight, or cleaning rooms at 9am and still at it during evening turn down.

Lock your safe! We forgot one day, and returned to our room to find our keys didn't work. On heading down to reception, it became apparent that the cleaner had found our safe open and had immediately vacated and locked the room, reported it to reception and reception had cancelled our keys so we would head back there and be updated. Security came with us to the room to ensure all was well. This was clearly for our safety and peace of mind and we were hugely impressed with the staff for the way they handled it (though I wasn't popular with the husband-shape!).

If you get great service, and have the cash with you, we found tipping directly (small amounts) took the already excellent service and attention through the roof to epic. We didn't wait once for a drink, table, food, attention, help... and that was before we tipped staff who were thoroughly deserving. If you feel this isn't for you, there is a tipping box in reception where you can put money, which is split amongst the staff at the end of the year.

We will definitely be back and won't consider being anywhere else on the island.

Room Tip: We were in block 6 (6000s). Away from the main buildings so less evening noise from the bar. Acces...
25  Thank Emma_D_Goth

Dear Emma,

Danny, Vashish, Vanessa, Avinash, Olivier, Jennifer, Sakir, Natacha, Sharone, Shyama and Antoinette, the cleaning lady join me in to thank you for the detailed and beautiful review of your experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre.

We wish to get the opportunity to be honoured again by your presence at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We spent 12 nights at the Awali for our honeymoon and we loved it. The facilities were great, the staff were very friendly and the food was brilliant. We particularly loved the Infinity Blue restaurant with its delicious menu and the sand beneath our feet. The massages at the spa were very much appreciated after the long haul flights. The hotel and its facilities were very clean and tidy. We'd go back tomorrow....

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the lagoon, reef and sea.
8  Thank PinkLadyJersey

Dear valued guests,

Thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your last stay in Mauritius and thank you also for your review.

It will be an immense pleasure for us to welcome you again and hopefully, very soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!