“Its far from free but best service.”

Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We looked around for a good hotel and as per usual looked at who was offering what and tried for the best value money could buy. We went for a sea view room and were not disappointed. On the positive side this hotel, of the six we have stayed in Mauritius, has the best service by far. The staff are extremely attentive to every need and nice about it at the same time. The golf course was superb. Whilst the food was excellent we missed the buffet although you could go to the neighboring hotel.

On the negative side. A Rand 50 bottle of wine in South Africa was charged at R 500. The golf was free but the golf cart was R 600. TV channels are limited but to hire a movie R 120. Dinner was included at 4 restaurants but 2 of them there was a R 300 upgrade fee. Wi Fi was free in the lounge but for your room for the week R 1200. Get the picture.

As we are avid divers we found the diving in the south of the island poor in comparison.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mr_LindleyThomen, General Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Guests,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Le Telfair for your recent stay, I understood that you are regular guests of Mauritius and I would very much like to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in my Resort during your next visit to the island.

I can understand the comparison in prices that you have made but rest assured that we do practice reasonable price as we have also to do with lots of taxes. Concerning diving, being avid divers you are right to say that the south is poor compared to other part of the island but not that poor as what you can see in the south is also great.

I will pass on your appreciation to my entire staff and hopefully we get to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have just come back from a week at Le Telfair and what a wonderful week it was. I couldn't fault anything about it. The room was beautiful and had a wonderful view. The food was fabulous - especially at Le Chateau restaurant. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There were a range of activities available as well as several swimming pools. We also got help with hiring a car.

I would most definitely recommend the Telfair.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
2  Thank lizjnalet N
Mr_LindleyThomen, General Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Le Telfair for your recent stay and I'm happy to read that the team has been able to exceed your expectations. I will pass on your appreciation to the whole team and a special mention will be given to Le Chateau team, the restaurant where you did enjoy the quality of the food and service.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have had the wonderful opportunity to travel to the above Hotel. It is picture perfect and the water was actually blue like the advertisements! We stayed during the winter month of August and the weather was great, 25 degrees and the water was warm enough to swim!
We had beautiful breakfasts at Annabelle's, one of their 6 restaurants. The staff were very efficient and very friendly. I do travel quite a bit around the world and I must say I was very impressed with almost everything. ( Only the cocktails and the cappuccino's at the pool bar were not so great, but sitting with our feet in the sand, looking over the blue ocean and having a drink, compensated for it)
The rooms were exquisite, the plantation style buildings dreamy and the beached endless.
Go and spoil yourself!

1  Thank Annelizev2013

Dear Guests,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Le Telfair for your recent holiday, I am glad to read that you've enjoyed your stay with us.

I do take good note of your comments concerning the Cappuccino and the Cocktails and will for sure look into the matter to improve their quality.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team who managed to exceed your expectations.

I do hope to get to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have been back for a week and I really miss this wonderful hotel and the amazing staff! We arrived after 23 hours travelling to a lovely warm welcome from Jimmy. He made us feel very special and we were delighted to be informed that we had been upgraded to a senior suite, this was a lovely surprise as this never happens to us. All suites have the benefit of a butler and we were introduced to Vikash who was so helpful and professional , I really wish we could have brought him back with us. Nothing was too much trouble for him, he really looked after us so well and he even ran me a lovely rose bath which was ready for me on the return of our boat trip. In his absence Jennifer was lovely too.
We had our 12 year old son with us and he really enjoyed all the facilities, water sports, tennis, golf all included in the cost. We opted for the "gourmet bliss" package which I highly recommend. The choice and quality of food at all the restaurants is fantastic . Service was great, we loved Infinity Blue at the Awali, the restaurant manager is very attentive and the food is lovely. The Chateau is great especially when they offer the Mauritian menu, it is superb. We paid extra for the Ginga restaurant and you have to try this, the tepanyaki is a real treat, chef is so talented, our son thought it was great fun too.
The bar staff are so friendly and make a mean cocktail, special thanks to Sandy and Appiah for the lovely evenings spent in the Cavendish and to Jonathan and Isobel for keeping us supplied with drinks and Jonathan, Matt misses you and your magic tricks!
The pools are so clean and sunbeds are plentiful. Prettam was my favourite waiter in the pool/beach area, he made sure we had everything we needed all day.
The rooms are well equipped and spotless, cleaned twice a day, fresh towels, mini bar filled every day, comfortable beds, spacious, lovely views, could not ask for more.
We went on a boat trip arranged by Paulo on the beach outside the hotel, this was a great day, we had Alex and Denny and they took us to the Dolphins and lunch including lobster on the island benittiers. We had a great day and would recommend this trip.
Vikash organised a quad bike trip for uswhich was brilliant, Dominic was a great guide and we had a lovely afternoon in the Frederica reserve which is in the Domain.
We also booked a day out with our taxi driver but found out we could have had Coco and the hotels Rangerover for the same price so recommend this for visiting the Island.
I can't quite understand some of the negative reviews regarding staff and food, I am very fussy and I can honestly say this is the nicest Hotel I have ever stayed in with the most adorable staff who really want to make your holiday special. They certainly did for us, I can't remember all their names but they were all fabulous. I can't wait to return to Le Telfair to see all the lovely people who work here, thank you for looking after us so well, we miss you all......

Room Tip: Ocean front or pool view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Loz45

Dear Guests,

Please do allow me to thank you for having chosen Heritage Le Telfair for your recent holidays, I am glad to read that you've enjoyed your stay with us and that the whole team has been able to deliver service that exceeded your expectations.

I will pass on your appreciation to the whole team and special thanks will be given to Jimmy who greeted you upon your arrival, Sandy, Appiah, Isabelle and Jonathan from the Cavendish Bar, Preetam your beach waiter, Dominic your great guide from Frederica Nature Reserve and Coco your personalised Limousine driver.

I will also mention your appreciation to our sister hotel where you did enjoy the great service and attention of Ramana the Restaurant Manager of the Infinity Blue Restaurant and the team at Le Chateau where you had the wonderful Mauritian menu.

I will unfortunately not allow Vikash to follow you but rest assured that he will be there waiting to serve you during your next visit as well as Jennifer.

All these members of my team joins me to wish you a wonderful end of year 2013 and we all hope to get to welcome you back again next year.

Please pass on our best regards to Matt and do tell him that we missed him too.

Our best personal regards to you all.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have stayed here and at sister hotel Awali before, and this time my wife accompanied me. Unfortunately a combination of small things upset what could have been a very good stay.
Check in is typical Mauritian - take a seat, take a drink, handover passports, fill in the form, imprint card, then get a guided tour. All very nice, but most of those details can be obtained beforehand. Just send the prospective guests an email beforehand with a form to be filled in. Have it ready for signature at check in - simple and convenient and much quicker.
The room was great with excellent amenities, good aircon, comfortable beds, great bathrooms and decent curtains. Water pressure and temperature were perfect and the shower was awesome.
Restaurant food was also of a very high standard and the HB package had quality written all over it. My wife's intolerances were noted by the chef and they went out of the way to make sure she was catered for - even making gluten free muffins everyday at breakfast. Well done!

However, the gripes:
WiFi is charged in the rooms - and it is not cheap. C'mon, in a five star?
The rooms are noisy. Being built with wood means the noise from surrounding rooms reverberates and echoes.
The towels are not replaced during turn down service, even when left in the bath.
Water skiing, whilst offered, is never available due to the tide (not once during 3 x 1 week stays have I seen the boat operate).
The price for drinks is exorbitant. The wine list also exhibits cheaper and everyday wines at hugely inflated prices. This is a major turn-off.
Pool service and attitude of the bar staff needs serious attention - simply not up to standard and the one bar guy was downright rude.
Finally upon check out, the cc machine was having problems connecting with Diners. Rather than process manually, they insisted I pay with another card. I phoned Diners in front of the FO manager, and they confirmed it was a technical problem from the hotel's side. This didn't matter to the hotel, they were not going to phone for authorisation as it was against policy! It should also be against policy to argue with and upset guests.

I will not return and would rather stay at Flic en Flac next time.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room close to the main building
3  Thank bizfish
Mr_LindleyThomen, General Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Le Telfair for your recent holidays and thank you for your feedback and comments which I do take with very high respect. I will take on board your suggestion concerning the check in process which will for sure facilitate that said process.

I do agree that the wifi is paying in the rooms but please note that we do have free access in all our public areas. Concerning the water skying, it could be done only if we do have a good level of water in the lagoon as we do not want to put our guests in danger, we sometimes need to do with the tides but it is only during a certain time of the day.

I do hope you will change your mind concerning your future visit as I would like to make you experience the real service of my Resort and thank you for having given me the opportunity to rectify my service accordingly.

Please do not hesitate to call on me when you will be planing your next trip and even if you do not choose my Resort feel free to visit us.

My best personal regards to you and your wife.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Recently returned from honeymoon after spending 9 nights in Mauritius at the Heritage Le Telfair in Mauritus on a half board basis. The hotel was wonderfully presented and all the staff were extremely friendly. However, the prices for anything outside of the half board package where somewhat shocking. From extortinate prices for a bottle of water of £4+ to in a couple of the restaurants the cheapest bottles of wine being circa £50 as a starting point. This left a bitter taste in the mouth on what should have been a fantastic experience/honeymoon. Also nigh on impossible to close a room door from the outside without it banging shut.

Room Tip: Go for a junior suite.
4  Thank Moolins

Dear Guests,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Le Telfair for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that you've enjoyed your experience in my Resort despite the fact that you were shocked by the prices concerning the extras. Let me reassure you that our prices are reasonable and that it could be compared to any other Resorts on the island.

I do hope to get to welcome you back here again and this in a close future.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I came back in may of this year I really enjoyed this hotel went with a group of friends the hotels is so clean the staff are so friendly and cant help you enough
The spa at the Awalli its sister hotel is just brilliant the beaches are by far the best in the south to
The breakfast is lovely loads to choose from also the restuarants were lovely the food is lovely i would definately go back,

Room Tip: get a sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank kelly-stuart2009
Mr_LindleyThomen, General Manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guests,

Allow me to thank you and your friends for having chosen The Heritage Le Telfair for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that my team has managed to make you enjoy your stay with us.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back here again together with your friends in a close future.

GENERAL MANAGER

#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Constance Prince Maurice
Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq

Been to Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!