Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort
Tamassa Resort(Bel Ombre)
  • Pool
Indian Resort(Le Morne)
2,091 results
All reviewsgourmet blisscavendish barcolonial styleginja restauranthalf boardgin jajunior suitekids clubc beach clubkite surfingsister hotelrange roverheated poolour honeymoonwater sportschoice of restaurantssea view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I agree with everything Randy has said. My daughter and I only stayed two nights but that was enough. First night we had 3 mice in our room - 5* hotel!! Service was appalling- butler never made our reservation for dinner and around the pool the service was non-existant - no-one ever came up and asked if we wanted anything. Majority of staff were incredibly unfriendly and arrogant especially reception staff. I will be visiting Mauritius again in a few months, but will never stay here again and I could never recommend it to anyone. My daughter and I were happy to leave.

• Stayed: January 2010
5  Thank giniHongKong
VerandaResorts, Public relations manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2010

Dear Guest,

We have just read the review you have posted in www.tripadvisor.com regarding your recent stay with us and regret that your stay was not up to your expectations.

We have investigated the matter to find out about the unacceptable problem of rodents you encountered despite the strict pest control on the hotel premises, and needful has been done internally to avoid this situation from ever happening again.

My team and I trust that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you and your daughter in the future and make you experience the standard services that we deliver and, for which we have received recommendations from our guests.

In the meantime if we may be of any further assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely

The Management

Reviewed 10 January 2010

I was convinced that I had made the right choice of this hotel after having read all of the reviews online. I must however say that this was probably my most disappointing holiday, especially at a 5* hotel.
Checking in at first seemed quite professional until it came to the fact that they did not have the room that I reserved and paid for, i.e. a sea view room. The person (Priscilla) checking me in was a bit rude and forced me to accept the room that they had available, which I grudgingly did. This is probably where it all started going wrong.
I was then introduced to my PERSONAL Butler, Vikash. He was to have accompanied me to dinner and showed me around. I was abandoned at my room and on exiting from the room, found it to be pouring with rain, and guess what, I could not go back in to the room as the key cards were not programmed correctly. There we stood in the rain looking for our supposed persal butler, with no sign of him. This was late in the evening. I later on found out that this butler is actually not personal and looks after the guest who tip them the best.
The next day I met the hotel manager, Jean, who I must say is quite arrogant. He eventually assisted in relocating me to the room that I had actually reserved, but at an additional, significant cost. I was forced to accept this or remain in the current rooms.
The dining experience at this hotel is also far from acceptable. The quality of the food is quite good (compliments to the chef), however the service at the restaurant, particularly Annabelle's was pathetic to say the least. We were a family of two adults, two children and a baby. I cannot imagine how they could continuously overlook our table, and many others. I raised with with the restaurant manager, Reaz, who seemed to address this once, but it kept recurring, both for dinner and breakfast.
I was at this hotel for 8 nights, starting from the 26th of Dec 2009 to the 3rd of Jan 2010. I was meant to have a late check-out from my rooms due to me leaving on a late flight and departing the hotel by 16:00. This request was such a challenge and I was eventually forced to leave the main room and remain in the smaller kids room within 15 minutes of a call at 12:00PM.
My kids were not even keen to go to the Kids Club which seemed to be poorly organised and staffed.
The pool restaurant service was also pathetic, trainees were actually waitering on us and other guests. Can you imagine a waiter shouting at you "what do you want"?
I am truly disappointed in this entire experience and I would really recommend anyone to avoind staying at this hotel, considering the cost of a so called 5* hotel, versus the value being derived from this.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank RandyB123
VerandaResorts, public relations manager at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2010

Dear Mr. Bikraj,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments relating to your room reservation at Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort.

We are glad that you have enjoyed the dining experience and shall not fail to pass on your compliments to our Chef.

Kindly note that there was a misunderstanding regarding your reservation as we had allocated the room type requested on the booking. Once you raised the misunderstanding, we have done our utmost to satisfy you and your family, and have offered you a late-check out upon departure which is normally at an extra charge.

We pride ourselves on the level of services that we deliver at Heritage Le Telfair and believe we have been able to achieve recognition both locally and internationally and certainly regret the unfortunate incident that you have highlighted in your comments.

In the meantime, if I may be of any further assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

The Management

Reviewed 14 December 2009

Went to le Telfair for 5 nights, Overall the experience was very good...We booked directly through the reservation centre, they were quite efficient. The hotel is lovely, the grounds are immaculate, the rooms massive with a nice patio, and the beach was also fantastic. The quality of the food on half board was very impressive,with varied menus at the three restaurants and an abundant breakfast. Went for golf which was great, they also have other activities (quad biking for adventure seekers in Valriche reserve, beautiful!).
The only negative point I have is that although the service was overall very good-the restaurant manager and hotel manager were there almost everyday-the quality of the service was not as high on the Sunday: dirty tables at the restaurant Annabella, no pickup at the Golf, reception's performance below par.Anyways if you can avoid using the Business Centre, faxing, photocopying, and go first thing to the restaurant at 7PM to avoid th poor service then everything should be perfect!

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We have been to Mauritius twice, we previously stayed at Le Paradis, Le Morne in 2005. I would say that Le Telfair is better. it is smaller and the food is of a higher standard. It is a big plus point that the evening meals are served from the menu rather than buffet. We did not need to eat lunch on any day due to the wonderful breakfasts.
The golf course Le Chateau is superior to Le Paradis. It has a variety of holes and the views are amazing. It is suitable for all handicaps, being challenging and enjoyable. Our party consisted of handicaps from 11 to 29 and we all enjoyed it.
The staff cannot do enough for you, the service is faultless. We were unsure whether to tip during the holiday but asked and they advised us to tip at the end of the holiday which is shared between all staff.
We also hired a taxi on two occasions and on one trip went up to the National Park and saw the waterfalls and the coloured earth. Hiring a taxi is cheap and a great way to see more of the island. Ask the taxi driver to show you the best sights.
Walking along the beach past the other three hotels, we realised that Le Telfair is the best of the four on that stretch of coast. At night all the beach bed cushions are taken in at Le telfair and so dont get wet if it rains! Also in the day the other hotel sun beds all seem to be taken but we could always find one at Le Telfair.
The gym, pool and bars are all wonderful.
The only negatives are:
1. Watersports are limited by tides, sailing and waterskiing are not always available. Le Paradis is better for this.
2. The drinks are expensive. For drinks and wine over 12 days we spent an extra £350 per person on top of a half board package. This was for one or two drinks in the day, two before dinner and half a bottle of wine per person at dinner.
3. The menu at Ginja does not change so it is only worth eating there once a week.
We will definately return to Le Telfair. Mauritius is so relaxing and enjoyable, it is a wonderful place. I would recommend it to everyone. When you take into account that golf is included ( except buggy) it is good value when compared to Spain and Portugal with extortionate green fees. .

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank BucksJane
Reviewed 14 November 2009

This was our second visit to Le Telfair after spending our Honeymoon there 3 years ago. The resort is 6 years old now and it is as every bit as amazing as we remembered it.
Bel Ombre has expanded slightly since we were last there ,and there are two new hotels on the beach front and some upmarket villas being built around the golf course. The area of bel ombre around the hotel has fantastic mountain and sea views with the gorgeous valriche nature reserve situated right behind the hotel.

CHECK IN
First impressions always count and when we arrived we were greeted by name and escorted into a lounge area for check in. Luggage was automatically transferred to our room which had been upgraded from a superior river view to superior sea view room at no cost.

ROOM
1st Floor sea view room (406) was immacuate with nice balcony area overlooking a large Italian style fish pond with fountains . Super king size bed was very comfortable and we even struggled to find each other in it. Bathroom had walk in shower (great pressure) and seperate bath and 2 sinks. Junior suites have more floor space and seperate small lounge area but at a cost. Had room 1007 on our honeymoon and was definately had the best sea view you could ever wish for. The room is cleaned thoroughly in the morning and then refreshed again in the evening with towels replaced as often as you want.

RESTAURANTS

ANNABELLAS - Main restaurant for breakfast and evening meal. You can sit outside on terrace area with a river view or inside. We found the food here excellent throughout our stay . Amazing choice and quality for breakfast and dinner. Lots of fish (eg.dorado), meat (eg. venison, lamb) and vegetarian choices. There are some supplements for lobster etc. but most are included in half board option. Wine was expensive and even the cheapest small glass of merlot will cost you £7. Large bottles of chilled water are about £4.

LE CHATEAU - Situated above the golf course this delightful a la carte restaurant is also available for half board guests. The menu changed halfway through our stay which gave less options but the setting alone here makes it worth visiting several times.

GIN'GA - Another a la carte restaurant, this time situated on the beach front. It is advertised as a japanese fusion restaurant and is meant to combine the spices of asian dishes. Unfortunately most days there was only 2 starters and 2 main courses for half board guests and it seemed to be the same dishes. We only ate there once.

LE PALMIER - Beach bar and restaurant where you can get food during the day. Food is excellent. Expect to pay £12 - £14 for a burger or a pizza. £9 for tuna salad. Good tip is to share a chicken ciabatta for £8 (if you're scottish like us) as you will struggle to get through a whole one yourself.

GOLF CLUB RESTAURANT - Similar choice to le palmier for food during the day. Lovely views over golf course.

BEACH
White sand with occasional coral pieces. Very comfy cushioned wooden loungers with seemingly unlimited supply of towels. You could walk for approx 1 mile in both directions from the hotel. If you are going in deeper than the waters edge it would be wise to wear protective beach shoes. Don't let this put you off as this would apply to all tropical beach regions .

SNORKELLING
Great snorkelling can be done along a shallow coral reef bed from the Movenpick hotel jetty and the sea current brings you back to le telfair although you have to swim across the boat lane to get back to the beach.This was a better coral reef than the boat house organised ones but you will need to take your own gear for it.

BOAT HOUSE
Run by a very friendly bunch of guys who will teach you how to sail lasers(small yachts) , hobie cats (catamarans) and winsurfing for free. Philip was still smiling after my wife capsized her laser three times!! Also, kayaks, pedalos. Snorkelling trips are organised from here. If you are in to kite surfing with your own eqiupment then this is the best place to do it from apparently.

POOL AREA
Excellent pool for swimming in (approx.30m long) and max depth of 1.2m throughout. Comfy sun beds with plenty of shade if needed.

GOLF
Free green fee. Immacultely maintained course with choice of 5 tee off areas for different abilities. Plenty of variety between holes and water and bunkers galore. I play off 8 and lost approx. 15 balls over 5 rounds. Wind can be a huge factor in this course as it as slightly elevated position.(some amazing views). We often went out early (8am) to avoid any waiting and walked the back nine with trolleys . Would probably recommend a buggy over 18 due to the humidity in the summer.

ACTIVITY CENTRE
Has a well equipped air conditioned gym area , floodlit tennis courts(all weather) , jacuzzi and sauna(why anyone needs a sauna here i don't know)and kids club. Table tennis, pool and games machines. You can hire bicycles and book other activities including a quad bike trip to Valriche nature reserve which we did last time and really enjoyed. A variety of hunting activities are advertised here also. The activity centre will also book any other activities you may want to do outwith the resort.
We organised a trip to Casela Park where we got to pat cheetahs and walk with lions. This was the most amazing day and experience that either of us have ever been on. The video and photographs taken you can buy at the end of the walk are definately the best holiday pictures you will ever get.

BAR
Well stocked bar with prices to match. Entertainment at night is low key with no karaoke. The singing duo are fantastic and you could compare the guy to Louis Armstrong...or is that the mauritian rum still talking?

STAFF
From bell boys to beach boys all memebers of the staff at Le telfair are amazing. Everyone has a hello or bon jour for you whether they work in the gardens or in the bar. We tended to tip small amounts at lunches and dinner during our holidays to see if the mauritian smile could get any bigger. These guys and girls are not well paid and appreciate tips tremendously but will serve you faultlessly whether you decide to do this or not!

TIPS
* Buy a good mosquito cream such as ultrathon. (used by u.s army) My wife got 22 bites on her legs the night she forgot to wear it at a yoga class.
* Take plenty of high factor sun cream. High 20's celsius here is more intense than at home. Getting sunburn is so 80's!
* Turn the a/c off in your room and just use the ceiling fan. You will acclimatize to the humid conditions much quicker.
* Go on the walk with lions trip!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple