“World class service in a true island paradise.”
Review of Tamassa Resort

Tamassa Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Reviewed 9 February 2014

From the moment you arrive at the Tamassa, it becomes quickly apparent that you have found somewhere quite special. An expectation would be for polite front of house staff, however to have polite attentive staff across every single department of the resort is something quite special. From the accommodation to grounds, the beach to the bars, the reef life 10 metres from the beach, the varied and well thought out restaurant menus to the evening entertainment, everything was literally first class. Saying this, there is clearly (as mentioned by many others), one stand out element to the Tamassa, and that is the staff.
Yanesh at reception was a true gentleman and check in was effortless and done so well by benoit and Amy.
Bar service was attentive and friendly from all the boys including Geoffrey.
But the gold medal podium position has to go to Runga and the beach bar team. Runga is an exemplary staff member and a true credit to the Tamassa and the Lux group and definitely added the wow factor to our stay.
The Tamassa comes highly recommended by both of us and we do so hope to return.
Karl and Charlene

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Karlos009
Nitesh P, General Manager at Tamassa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for an amazing feedback.

It is always a pleasure to hear such kind words from our esteemed guests.

Tamassa’s biggest assets are its people and they are also the central pillar for our core values. It gives me joy to read through the names of Yanesh and Runga, along with all those who created memories for your goodself.

Tamassa

Write a ReviewReviews (5,467)

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Arriving after a very long journey, almost 24 hours were told our room was not ready and to go and have lunch and come back at 3pm. Not what you want to hear!
Our room was very nice,everything we needed and in a nice position overlooking the large pool, no complaints there. Mini bar was stocked daily which was just as well because on most days no-one came to offer us drinks and if they did it was only once throughout the entire day. We did complain and the next day they still came only once, we tried a different approach gave them a tip and asked if they would come back again, which seemed to do the trick as on 2 afternoons we got asked if we would like a drink! Because it was a good walk to the beach bar we usually used our mini bar. Seems they're missing a trick by not making the use of all the space around the pool and having a bar as this would have made our days lying in the sun much nicer. The pool was unbearably hot by the afternoon but always loads of beds, no need to get up early.
Food was tasty although as some previous reviews have also said did get repetitive. Our favourite night was Indian buffet. The choices were always very limited however we always found something we liked and certainly were never hungry. Bread was some of the best we've had. One concern was that some things weren't covered e.g. the omelette fillings on a morning and things like pickles and sweet honey, chocolate sauce etc and these were always covered in small flies as was the fruit that was cut up on a morning. This really put me off!
The playa restaurant had a lovely varied lunch time menu much better then the evening menu which was very limited with only 3/4 choices of each course. We found it was more a case of style over substance in here, and because of the lack of air con it was so so hot which meant we couldn't wait to get out. Shame!
Drinks were fine although cocktails were limited with things like mojitos and bloody Mary's we had to pay for, this is our first AI where we've had to pay which again needs looking at after the price it costs to stay in the hotel all cocktails should be included.
Red wine was actually really nice.
B bar was very modern and we never got tired of spending our evenings here listening to live music , staff were great we never had an empty glass, special mention to Kashul who looked after us fantastically well from our very first day and also to Rajiv for his help in a couple of matters.
We needed a late check out but at first were told there were no rooms available, however after a little towing and frowing and after speaking to the right persons we were finally told we could have o n e but had to move rooms. We had no problems with this or paying the extra but to then be told that all inclusive was not included in the price that was extra, come on Tamassa this is unacceptable and not good customer service.
Had a relaxing 2 weeks, met some lovely people even if most guests were on Saga holidays and the average age was probably around 70!
We wouldn't return, feel as though for the price we paid we get much much more value for money in Mexico in respect of choice of food/drink and customer service and absolutely everything is included in the price. Maybe if Tamassa take all these things into account they would get an extra star rating . Just not for us!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank julie060

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback.

I am glad that you liked the room, its location, amenities and all related things.

It is pleasure to learn that you enjoyed the taste of food, saying so; we all have already started looking into all your additional comment about the same.

I am delighted that you loved the Bbar and live music. It is always a desire to hear that team members were very attentive and glasses were never empty.

We always try our best to provide the rooms upon arrival, which is sometimes as early as 6.00 or 7.00 am in the morning against the check-in time of 2.00 pm. However, we could only do so, when the availability allows us. Should the occupancy be high, the guest leaves the room by 11.00 am, which does not allow us to give the room to arriving guests if it is prior to that. Should the guest be arriving early morning, we always encourage our guests to book the room from the night before, to have a guaranteed early check-in.

Reference to the late check-out, as mentioned above, the reason for swapping the room is the fact that when a family or a group books couple of rooms, they prefer to have close to each other. This was the case for the new guests coming in your room. We do charge a very minor supplement for the all-inclusive, however, I am sure you will appreciate that this very minor supplement comes with a lunch and unlimited drinks until departure from the resort.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our duty and we shall not move away from it. All departments concerned and I have reviewed each of your comments, along with taking appropriate actions to resolve each issue. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience to our future guests.

I am very sorry to hear that you do not wish to return to Tamassa, which I am very sad to hear. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion, I do extend it with all sincerity.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Tamassa, you exceeded my expectation I've just returned from a 2 week stay.
The standard of the rooms was excellent more 5* than 4*, the layout meant even at the weekend when large groups came in it wasn't crowded. The south side of the island is truly beautiful and unspoiled-and if you see Captain Lobster on the beach his tours are ace but make sure you haggle on the price.
The food quality was good, the selection better on some days than others but on the whole a nice mix of veg, meat and fish and the AI drinks selection varied. NOTE room service is included in AI for a 200 rupee charge-bonus :)
The SPA was excellent quality and the treatments (as a family we had 10 between us) were outstanding-well on par with those i regularly have in London.
Entertainment team were avaerage they could have been more involved in the bar pool areas during the day especially when there was rain instead of hiding out in their den. One of the girls on the team had an AMAZING voice but the rest were a bit hit and miss.

So what lost you a star: lots of staff standing around doing nothing especially in the BBar and Playa restaurant (no issues at The Show restaurant). Literally normal to see 3/4 bartenders congregated round the coffee machine whilst the same 2 Bartenders/beach boys did everything resulting in long waits for drinks and food. Are there no supervisors/managers to motivate these people? I felt so sorry for those that were running around sweating whilst their colleagues did nothing. My favourite example of this is 3 times during my stay I witnessed 5/6 FOH staff come down to the beach, set up some display of cosmetics goods on the stand then proceed to all sit on the floor, gossip for half an hour, then pack up and go without interacting with a single guest-even when people were clearly looking to see what was going on-they were literally sat on the floor!
How Runga is not a manager and only a beach boy is outrageous-the best member of staff by far. I'm saying this because if this simple issue was sorted you would be 5* and just so you know 3 out of the 5 of us staying are General Managers in high end and high volume hospitality positions in both London and Sydney. Please sort this out and you will be on our re-visit list!

Room Tip: 1st/2nd floor rooms for a good view, request a room behind the main pool/Bbar if you dont want to be...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BritBash
Nitesh P, General Manager at Tamassa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your beautiful and constructive feedback.

I am delighted to learn that you had a great stay with us and Tamassa exceeded all your expectations, as mentioned by your goodself during your two week stay with us.

Totally agree with you, that the spa at Tamassa is second to none.

Could not agree more with you that the layout is just amazing and the estate never looks crowded, even if it is on full occupancy. Infact, during the whole month of January, we have been almost full consistently, however you can never make it out, as the estate is so well spread out. Three giant pools along with the fourth pool at Spa and a long stretch of beach indeed add to the same.

I am very surprised with the comment of five to six staff sitting on the grass area. This is certainly unacceptable and will be addressed immediately. Saying so, I wish to bring to your attention that, many a times, these members are not working directly for the resorts. We have made a counter called “Helping People Celebrate Life”, whereby, we try to get outside vendors on this stand, keeping the condition that they will offer a good discounted products to our guests. For example, we have one tailor who stitches suits for our guests, at 20% less than the market price and delivers in guest room within 24 hours. This way, the guest does not have to leave the resort or go out for something. The same goes for the carpet vendor, beach hawkers products, etc. We also ensure that they carry proper grooming standards. Even though, they do not work for the resort, they do represent us, whilst inside the estate and your concerns will be addressed immediately.

With reference to Runga, he is indeed our shining star. He is the Beach Incharge and all beach boys do report to him. You might have mis-interpreted his position, as he is very hands-on and is always on the floor. Infact, he reports directly to Food & Beverage Manager.

I wish to Thank you for your honest and helpful feedback.

Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

I must say that don't go for the rating ib mauritius. Nothing can be better than Tamassa. And there is no single reason for it. Infact there are too many. To start with, first is service. Service was awesome. Anything I wanted was just a call away. Food was also good. Beibg a pure vegetarian, I never faced any problem with the food. And for non vegetarians there are countless options. Best part was the beach side dinner. I enjoyed that a lot. On service part, I always found my room cleaned whenever I returned from anywhere. And the main reason why I liked Tamassa was the support that I got from the staff. Staff was very very good and helpful. For food, I would like to mention the name of chef karan. When I faced problem on the very first day he was there to resolve my problem. And on the last day I git the support from Mr Bharat. He is a nice guy. He also helped me through out my stay at the resort. I must thank all the people of Tamassa for their support. Luv u guys.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nitin G

Dear Mr. Nitin,

Thank you for your beautiful feedback.

I am delighted to learn that you had a great time with us and enjoyed every single part of your stay.

At Tamassa, we totally understand the importance of special food requirements, and the team goes out to ensure that we satisfy every single palate.

I wish to Thank you for all your kind words.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

January 7 - 29, 2014 was our third visit to the wonderful Tamassa Hotel and we have already booked for another 3 week visit in January 2015. The managers of the hotel, with a very visible presence have their fingers on the pulse the whole time, always seeking feedback from their guests. The staff at all levels resolve any issue that might arise. The accommodation and facilities are excellent, very comfortable beds and meticulously clean. The hotel cuisine is superb, and the serene staff absolutely delightful - competent, attentive, courteous and friendly. Both the beach and the main bar have a delightfully relaxing and warm ambiance.

The setting of the hotel with its manicured gardens and 3 elegant swimming pools and beautiful beach overlooking the coral reef are paradise on earth. The Spa and the numerous water sports available to guests compliment a wonderful holiday.
Mr and Mrs W, SW Surrey, UK

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret W

Dear Ms. Margaret,

Thank you for an amazing feedback.

It is always a pleasure to hear such kind words from our guests.

Team Members seek opportunities to make each moment matter and help our guests celebrate life, making it so easy for me!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Great ambiance, awesomely friendly staff, super tasty food, and lots of activities to keep you busy - all in all Tamassa is the best place to stay in Mauritius. The beach was serene and very beautiful, with a awesome sunset view. The underwater flora and fauna is abundant in both variety and numbers. Enjoyed the beach and the water activities a lot.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Arindam S

Dear Mr. Arindam,

Thank you for your magnificent feedback.

We truly value our guest comments and glad to learn that you had an amazing time with us.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

The stay at Tamassa Hotel was my mum's birthday gift.

The location, lovely views from the Patio, Great food & Numerous cocktails made with Mauritian taste - wink to Jeffrey, Amazing Room with pink decoration and perfect in-room service & minibar facilities - Thanks to Heera....All these contribute to an incredible holiday destination.
Many thanks goes to the graceful hands of Spa therapists - Particularly Shanone, Padmini & Jayshree.
Amazing food experience through Benoit & Jean Marc
Perfect service for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner with Pooja, Devianee & Dev
Boat House team even with the unfortunate weather - Bryan & Christophe for sailing instructions
Entertainment with Gym monitor Stephane & Aquagym instructor & Many more people ...
Last but not least the front office team - special thanks to Yanesh & Ouma for taking care of us throughout our stay.
Bonne Continuation and as we say in our Mauritian Language : Ici ki faire Tamassa :D

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Tania T
Nitesh P, General Manager at Tamassa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Ms. Tania,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the birthday celebration of your mother at Tamassa.

Tamassa means party, and we wish to infuse a little bit of Tamassa in everyone’s life.

Wish you a fantastic 2014 and look forward to have another opportunity to serve you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Ombre
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Tamassa Resort? Share your experiences!