“for that money I was expecting more...”
Review of Tropic Inn Hotel

Tropic Inn Hotel
Tropic Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Masaka
Kampala, Uganda
“for that money I was expecting more...”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The outward appearance looked very good, they have a beautiful yard. But then I saw the rooms, we had one room which had a huge dark spot on that came from a water-pipe burst, but they didn't painted the wall.the other rooms were average. For the mosquito nets and towels we had to ask, and also for shower curtains which were not on the bathrooms. The dinner that I ordered for a certain time, was still late and the portions were very little. Especially the 300g steak was not 300g instead it was less than 150g. But the service was ok, the ladies were quiet willing. The wireless they offered were not working. They also have a pool, but I didn't use it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marlene H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Westerlo, Belgium
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Just one advice : don't go there. The hotel is big , but only a few rooms occupied. Has probably been nice years ago , but now ?? No hot water , no mosquito nets anymore , when we arrived there were no towels and no toilet paper. About 1/3 of the lights are functioning. Staff is not friendly at all (no motivation to help guests) : no help at all with suitcases , bartender was watching TV instead of serving drinks , after ordering dinner we had to wait 1.5h before we were served and the food was really bad. We invited our driver to have dinner with us , and he ate only a little bit (and apologized for that , but food was too bad).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Edith S

Travellers are raving about these Masaka hotels

Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel is just big but does not offer anything else. After booking rooms upon arrival in the late afternoon we were told that rooms were not ready, in reality they had to check in which rooms water was available and it took quite some time to find it out. I was put in a very large suite that looked pompous but that was decaying. Water in bathroom was scarcely working, its colour (jellow) was not even inviting for s shower and it was just cold. All the other things in room were not working. The service at the restaurant was incredibly slow although we were the only guests. Breakfast was quite poor. The garden and the pool outside are not inviting, they are extremely dirty. So even if you might expect low level service, this hotel exceeds expectations! The price was indeed quite high if compared to the bad service and the ugly structure. I would not suggest to stay here to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Illy23
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I transferred from Maria Flo to the Tropic Inn after one night.I was born and brought up in Masaka so have memories of the old pre 1979 Tropic Inn.I have seen Masaka rebuild from the war and is hotel rise from rubble.Although this one is not quite to the old standards I was happy enough after I have been away in UK for over 20 years.The rooms are spacious,modern and good.I had a door through to my children in the next room.UK born,my children found it comfortable to stay there and could eat familiar food.The staff are trained and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lubega1
Johnstown, Colorado
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Although we had confirmed reservations by phone only 2 days before arriving, we were told on arriving that they had no record of our rooms. After showing them our email confirmation they managed to come up with the 4 rooms but they were very strange ones and we were told we would have to move to different ones for our second night. I was put in a HUGE suite that was obviously still under construction (and had been for a long time) that had no room number. The carpet was filthy, the bed was ok, the security was minimal. The bathroom was overly gaudy with huge porcelain fixtures, although the bidet was not even plumbed. The labels were still on the fixtures. There was only a trickle of water that was hot the night I arrived, but no water at all in any of our rooms the next day --- we went elsewhere. The food was ok - they offered us a late dinner that was moderately good. Breakfast was just ok. I would not stay here again. Too bad since the grounds are lovely and from the outside it looks like a great place. Needs a lot of attention to make it a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MARY C
Regensburg, Germany
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Every time we stay in Masaka we prefer this hotel. Its the only one with a pool. Staff is not so qualified it needs a long time for making an order. One time they have no african coffe in the afternoon, one time they have no Uganda Spirit in the evening so there is a lot of improvement necessary.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Uganda K
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 12 March 2012

It had been a while since I had been home. We used to live there in the 70's and this was one of the most idyllic of the Uganda Hotels. Coming back after almost 30 year of exile, it brought back so many childhood memories. The staff was really friendly and welcoming, the rooms are quite large and mordern for the amount of money I was paying and to find that quality in Masaka of all places, gives me great joy. I had a wonderful time with my family and showed my children who had never been there the beauty of the town. The hotel also gave us good guides to show us around, went to Bukakata port and Nabugabo and other tourist places ion the city before heading off to Bwindi. It has a few flaws as you would expect in Africa but it is by far the best outside Kampala in my opinion as i stayed in quite a number. Very very impressed!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 201-202!!!!