“AVOID!! RUDE AND AGGRESIVE STAFF!!!”

Grand View Guest House
Ranked #61 of 101 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel would be ok if it wasnt for the staff! The staff were not to be trusted and when you have a problem they dismiss it, also while we stayed the room was never cleaned in 4 nights which wasnt a massive problem but when we ran out of toilet paper and we asked at receptionbfor another the man behind the counter said i had to pay for one, and i said we was stopping there he said they were expensive, never heard anything so ridiculous when we payed to stop there. So i asked to see his manager and he then got aggresive and said he was going to phone the police because he had a friend in the police! OVER A TOILET ROLL!! Also the shower in the room hardly worked and was not hot!!! And leaked!! And early in the morning they decided to do contruction work including cutting metal with an angle grinder right next to our window!!!!! DO NOT STOP HERE!!!!! Also do not book any trips or buses through them, they are NOT to be trusted!!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank therams_1884

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend & was not disappointed.
I had a double room with a HUGE bed & hot shower bathroom on the ground floor, just off the lobby, for 100,000Kip a night. The room also had a TV with heaps of English language channels and I had a balcony with a view of the river.
The room & bathroom were both really clean. There were some marks/stains on the sheets & curtains but they were clean. The bed was the comfiest I've slept in in 4 months!!!
The family who run the guesthouse were friendly & helpful and the attached travel agency is convenient. Though their mini-mart prices are a bit steep! But that can be said about most of the shops in Vang Vieng.
There is some building work going on next door but they don't start until 8:30ish & it never disturbed me. Same for the 'island' bars. I could hear some of the music but only faintly & it didn't keep me up.
The location of Grand View is excellent, right in the heart of Vang Vieng. All in all a great place.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you need wifi in your room ask fora room on the ground floor just off the lobby.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jo_thomson
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed here 6 nights with another friend and had a comfortable stay. Room was in a good location, clean, fairly spacious with a good sized balcony and had wifi in room, AC and cable TV for 150 000 kip. We stayed on the side facing the road which was cheaper than the river view rooms but still good. We didn't have any problems with the management who were always helpful. Although our room didn't get cleaned while we were staying there it wasn't a big problem to us

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Imagine 8am in the morning after a heavy binge drinking only to be woken up by the sounds of both construction and roosters in the adjacent lot. Yes, a rooster farm inhabits the adjacent lot next to your window. If that doesn't give you a migraine, then the sawing of rebar and men yelling loudly at each other will.

The hotel is in a great location, stumbling distance back from the island (where all the bars are located) and steps away from the tube renting company. However, there are a dozen hotels/Guesthouses that are along the same road. Customer service was non-existent and our room wasnt cleaned after the first day. Needless to say we switched to Mountain View guesthouse. An infinitely better hotel. We stayed there for the rest of our week in Vang Vieng.

Overall, nice room and hotel itself (no wifi in rooms), but the construction and rooster farm was too much. Stay away from this place or you'll regret it the next time you're hung over!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed here one night and found it to be good for the money - a new hotel, clean, cable TV, and small private balcony looking out to the river. The front rooms with the view were 150,000kip, 30,000 extra for AC.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I was 3 days the last week in GRANDVIEW guesthouse, have a nice view, BUT IS NOT RECOMENDABLE, the manager is oen of the worst personal i talked, I have two inconveniences ( exchange rate and cleaning room ) .... and he only laugh and talk in laos language. The view is nice with balcony ( is the more expensive room ),

My recomendation ? I SUGGEST NOT USE THIS GH. you have many places here with frendly people.

Here you not have good lobboy or place to drink something , conect at internet. I need go to the pub beside, becauase the internet is extremely slowly.

Enjoy the places is very nice, the night is with good bars and restaurants. If you can choice another GH, this is expensive and now i read another coments and many had this inconvenience...

Room Tip: I sugguest no choice this GH,if you like > WITH BALCONY floor 4.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Unlike some of the other reviewers I didn't have any issues with the management. They did my laundry OK, kept my valuables in the safe and were good about warning against police scams. Night time security is a joke, so I kept the key to myself. As long as you behave sensibly I think it's a great place to be.

The room was good, lot's of space, great bed and good tv. Bathroom was good, but they won't clean it during your stay. You have your own balcony and a magnificent view if you're OK to pay the extra 20k kip for a river view.

I loved it and stayed for six nights. Great value

• Stayed: September 2011