“Please PLEASE Avoid”

Grand View Guest House
Ranked #53 of 99 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
“Please PLEASE Avoid”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

As a tripadvisor addict, I take every review with a grain of salt, as there are many factors involved in a persons experience at a hotel. This is  my first time writing a review, and I feel it is necessary considering the disrespect and maltreatment I received at the Grandview. You must trust me when I urge you NOT to stay at the Grandview. Our time in Vang Vieng was irrevocably tainted by the horrible staff and the way we were treated. After speaking with other guests of different ages and nationalities, it is obvious that we were not targeted for this abuse, rather, it was a universal feeling.

We arrived with no information about accommodation in Vang Vieng, but had heard our friends were at the Grandview guesthouse. It was easy to find and looked nice -  nicer than what we are used to as 20-somethings on a backpacker's budget. The manager showed us a room and was initially  extremely cordial and polite. We booked 3 rooms between everyone in our group. The rooms were quite nice and had a great view of the river and mountains beyond.

Literally as soon as we handed over our money the manager and the rest of the staff began to treat us completely differently. He was rude, attempted to overcharge us for everything, from water to laundry to TOILET PAPER. This huge hotel, decorated with high quality, solid wood furniture at 100,000 kip per night, charges for toilet paper (even though we were staying for a week). I often give people the benefit of the doubt, but time after time this man and his family did whatever they could to make our stay in Vang Vieng harder. We would have moved hotels, however, we were there during the rocket festival and the town was packed.

Here are some solid examples of life at the Grandview-
- Charging for toilet paper
- upon arrival, we were told air con was included in the room price, but as soon as we paid and asked for the remote he said it would be an extra charge (20,000 kip)
- we had some laundry done, and I had a few items missing when it was returned. Not only was it not folded, but it was wrinkled and just tossed into a bag and smelled musty. I had to have it redone next door. When I asked where my missing items were, the manager laughed in my face and said I could go through the other bags of dirty laundry if I wanted to find my clothes.
- when leaving, we asked for a quote for a bus to Vientiane. He gave us a price twice as high as any other tour operator or hotel in town.
- outright mocking and being treated with disrespect time after time

Unless it is 100% unavoidable, do not stay at the Grandview. This place has potential, but the way you will be treated is not worth the view (there are many hotels with the exact same views along the river).

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I would like to start this review off by saying that this hotel has some potential. Except this potential has been completely thwarted by the audacity and greed of the owner. When I first arrived at this hotel I was with a group of people, and we were meeting friends who had communicated the price of their hotel room to us. The owner gave us a higher price than we had been told and said there were no other rooms available at the lower price. He also told us that air conditioning was included in the price and later denied that part of the conversation so we had to pay extra. The first morning I woke up to a huge cluster of bug bites on my legs and my friends legs were basically covered. We spent 6 days at this hotel while waiting for the rocket festival to take place and I can safely say that I have never encountered someone who was such an extortionist as this man. We were charged extra for toilet paper because apparently you are only rationed one roll a day (even when in a room with three people). We also needed our room to be cleaned and he refused. This was due to the fact that their policy is to only clean the rooms every two days, and only when you request it. I had moved into a different room and needed a new bottom bed sheet and the owner handed me one that may as well have been dripping wet from the wash, and he "did not have any more clean towels" so i had to dry myself with a tank top. There was also a piece of my friends clothing that went missing from the laundry and he suggested that she go through other people's laundry to find it !
He was constantly changing prices for everything and everyone. It made absolutely no sense. He also arranged tours and quoted us prices that were much higher than any of the travel agents in the area by a long shot. If we had a problem with something he would basically look at you like you're an idiot while devising ways to rip you off in more ways. He kept trying to make us pay for our rooms up front rather than when we were checking out which was a huge pain because we were there for a week. Basically, all of the conversations I had with this man left me in complete disbelief that someone can actually be getting any business at all. He does not care about people. He only cares about money and any way that he can cut corners, he will do it. I only hope that this review will stop someone from going to his hotel ever again.

1 Thank Nicole12345678

Travellers are raving about these Vang Vieng hotels

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Good value nice room paid 400baht per night overlook road ! Have to go lobby to get wifi ! Manager ok but a little bit grumpy ! 2 talking birds were fun to play with ! Very good location would stay there again next visit ! Cheers

Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I WAS THERE and you can see the coments. with surprise i saw the mail with the one of the B&B, IS IMPOSIBILIT. The manager and owner are very ordinary, don t give good service and only push you ,,, we are guests ! The view is amazing, but ALL THE HOTELS HAVE THE SAME VIEW. I have many inconveniences with them, not have problems with safe but as you can see other coments many people have problems with the luggage and others. If you stll like go............ go the top floor.T

Room Tip: Top floor.
Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Very basic and quite clean. Bed was large but hard, which seems to be the norm, but for $15/night and the location we were relieved to find this place straight away. There is quite a lot of music from nearby bars but it didn't worry us too much (earplugs for me and fan on drowned out he sounds). It was a good base point for all things adventurous. The talking birds are a big hit. After reading the bad reviews of this hotel all we can say is... follow the rules, hand the key back to reception as they request and avoid the issues.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

I was surprised this place has only got 3/5 rating. It is atleast worth a 4 out of 5. We paid 100,000 and stayed 2 nights we got a twin room on the top floor and had amazing views of the limestone karsts and the river below. The fan didn't work at first but the man fixed it within 10 mins. The bed sheets were slightly stained but they were not dirty. The shower was good and hot and we got a tv aswell. We thought the music next door was loud but it seemed to stop just after we got in about 11ish. They had 2 birds that talked to us and we had lots of laughs, I'm surprised that there not a you tube sensation lol. Overall good stay, didn't really deal much with the staff so unsure about all the reviews about rude and aggressive staff.

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Settled here for 100,000 kip a night, for two nights. For that price we had a fan-room with a balcony facing the river - great view for sunset. Just a few doors down from the infamous bucket bar. Room was good until we found the bed had dirty sheets (with neon paint all over them) and when we asked for new ones, the lady scoffed at me and just handed me an unfolded pile of new sheets to change myself. She also booked our bus tickets, and her driver picked us up extremely late and we nearly missed our bus and got stuck with awful seats in the back.

Pros: nice view on balcony
Cons: staff, wifi in lobby only
Overall: decent but i'm sure you can find something better
Tips: No matter where you go in Vang Vieng expect to treated like a deviant, due to all the drugged out tubers. Have fun but always be respectful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple