“Great stop in VV” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 96 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Boulder, Colorado
“Great stop in VV”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

So many choices in VV. Clean. Accommodating. Wifi. Beer Lao for sale in the lobby. Safe parking for motorcycles. Great view towards the river. Steep stairs but big deal. RIght at the intersection of the main drag.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jecheon, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here a couple of times, not a bad place. I read some of the bad reviews here and can honestly say I don't know what they're talking about. Bed is comfortable, room was clean. The only complaint I have is that they keep turning the WiFi off.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Poipet0
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Originally intending to stay only a few nights as price was above our budget, me and my boyfriend soon realised the comforts of this guesthouse was well worth the money. We did however have a ground floor room which as I can image doesn't have one of the better views the guesthouse has to offer but we were pleased with what we had. Our room was super spacious with a soft cosy bed, tv, fan and a large shower room/toilet. I would recommend the quest house to fellow travellers although if your booking your next bus ticket shop around, we did get one slightly cheaper up the road.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights here, rooms were clean and cleaned each day, view was spectacular. Had no problems with the staff they were all very helpful! Price was a little bit high but you are paying for the view so that's understandable. Would happily go there again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dresden, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 days in Vang Vieng and stayed at the Grand View Guest House. Since the hostel was right on the river , we had some anxiety regarding the night noise but this did not happen. Since almost no tourists were in the village the restaurant next to the hostel closed at about 11pm or 12 pm. The only blemish on the current hostel is the construction site next to it.We had a room on the 1st floor and the artisans had a super view of our balcony. The site was disturbing for us but only in the morning when we wanted to sleep in.not later than 9am and the construction work went on. Well, price and performance were ok, but breakfast at the hostel would have been nice. we had to go every morning once in search of food. But if we should come in the high season once again, I would not choose this hostel again.

• Stayed August 2013
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Please avoid this guesthouse. We booked it for one night and when we came back from the bar, there were cockroaches crawling everywhere in the room, we even had one on the bedhead. So we did not sleep in the room. And the next morning, the hotel manager or owner did not even try to understand us. He said that if we weren't happy that it's our problem and if we don't pay him for the night he would keep our passports. He even told us that he knew he had cockroaches in his hotel and we spoke to a few people and nobody had cockroaches in their room in Vang Vieng, so it is not common like he told us.
Don't go there!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality

Travellers are raving about these Vang Vieng hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

As a tripadvisor addict, I take every review with a grain of salt, as there are many factors involved in a persons experience at a hotel. This is  my first time writing a review, and I feel it is necessary considering the disrespect and maltreatment I received at the Grandview. You must trust me when I urge you NOT to stay at the Grandview. Our time in Vang Vieng was irrevocably tainted by the horrible staff and the way we were treated. After speaking with other guests of different ages and nationalities, it is obvious that we were not targeted for this abuse, rather, it was a universal feeling.

We arrived with no information about accommodation in Vang Vieng, but had heard our friends were at the Grandview guesthouse. It was easy to find and looked nice -  nicer than what we are used to as 20-somethings on a backpacker's budget. The manager showed us a room and was initially  extremely cordial and polite. We booked 3 rooms between everyone in our group. The rooms were quite nice and had a great view of the river and mountains beyond.

Literally as soon as we handed over our money the manager and the rest of the staff began to treat us completely differently. He was rude, attempted to overcharge us for everything, from water to laundry to TOILET PAPER. This huge hotel, decorated with high quality, solid wood furniture at 100,000 kip per night, charges for toilet paper (even though we were staying for a week). I often give people the benefit of the doubt, but time after time this man and his family did whatever they could to make our stay in Vang Vieng harder. We would have moved hotels, however, we were there during the rocket festival and the town was packed.

Here are some solid examples of life at the Grandview-
- Charging for toilet paper
- upon arrival, we were told air con was included in the room price, but as soon as we paid and asked for the remote he said it would be an extra charge (20,000 kip)
- we had some laundry done, and I had a few items missing when it was returned. Not only was it not folded, but it was wrinkled and just tossed into a bag and smelled musty. I had to have it redone next door. When I asked where my missing items were, the manager laughed in my face and said I could go through the other bags of dirty laundry if I wanted to find my clothes.
- when leaving, we asked for a quote for a bus to Vientiane. He gave us a price twice as high as any other tour operator or hotel in town.
- outright mocking and being treated with disrespect time after time

Unless it is 100% unavoidable, do not stay at the Grandview. This place has potential, but the way you will be treated is not worth the view (there are many hotels with the exact same views along the river).

• Stayed May 2013