“Criminal Enterprise”

Organic Mulberry Farm Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 79 Restaurants in Vang Vieng
Price range: US$0 - US$5
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Located only 4 km North of Vang Vieng Town, along side the refreshing Nam Song river with spectacular views of the unique mountains and exposed jagged cliff faces showing their natural beauty. Sunset over the mountain ridge is fabulous, enjoying a glass of home made organic mulberry or star fruit wine, beer Lao, tropical fruit shake or mulberry tea which compliments our Lao & Western cuisine. Restaurant is open from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM every day serving breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. Famous home grown and processed organic mulberry items are sort after along with the handmade organic goat cheese, huge pancakes and Lao desserts. A range of fresh organic teas, coffee and liquor available. Separate meals or group offers available. FREE Wifi, Toilets onsite, access to river and organic farm. More detailed information is available on our website. We look forward to meeting you to share our fabulous place, The Organic Mulberry Farm Restaurant Team.
Mexico City, Mexico
“Criminal Enterprise”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed at the farm for two months. I went into the experience thinking it would be an awesome learning experience, as I could learn about organic farming and work with animals and meet awesome people. But during my stay I found out so much about the real workings of the farm that I am horrified. The owner, Mr T, by all local wisdom, has gone insane. He has anger outbusts and staff turnover is very high. He promises people one price, and then when they arrive, hikes the price up. The food takes over an hour to arrive, and then it is often cold. The free internet they advertise rarely works. Then I learned that Mr T used to have a contract with an agency that sent paying volunteer tourists to the farm to work. He used and abused the volunteers so much that the agency withdrew from working with him. The mudhuts have dirt falling from the walls and rats, and they have built the mudhuts such that there are only mud walls. Not a true mud house. Meaning that the walls stop on the second floor, and there is air. Covered by a metal roof. So sleeping upstairs is impossible because it is too hot, and animals come and go as they please. I experienced rats and snakes. I was not given a refund. Also, they have a huge problem with crime on the farm. Money was stolen from my locked mud hut, and I learned that this has been happening for quite a while. Since it was taken from my locked hut, it must be someone who works there.

Finally, they advertise that they teach English to kids. They don't. It is a front operation, and all the proceeds go directly to Mr T. The head English teacher quit earlier in the year because he caught Mr T taking donations out of the donation box.

Go somewhere else. I think this place must've been cool years ago, but now it's run by a dishonest, elderly couple who are only out for your cash.

• Visited May 2013
6 Thank Anna M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
“Different food that tasted great”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This place was a lifesaver. After a couple of other failed attempts at dinner we stepped into the cafe and had a wonderful feed. Clean, good service and a great range of tasty organic food. We tried the mulberry wine and fried mulberry leaves, both were delicious!

Visited November 2012
Yarra Glen, Australia
“Don't go there”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Have been here in Lao now for 3 months and have heard people raving about how great the farm is. I'm sorry to say that it really isn't the owners are old and lairs and they don't understand what you are saying and what you want. The organic food is very repetitive and the menu never changes. I have spent the better part of 2 months there using the WiFi that never works or is so slow I'd rather shoot myself than sit there for 2 hours to try and check my emails and Facebook. The accommodation is over priced and not well kept. The dorms are dusty and there is no hot water in the shower. The mud houses are falling down. Every time I opened the door more mud would fall off the side of the door fixture. The upstairs was full of rats and snakes and unusable. The owners and staff are incompetent and don't hold their word because it is a total lie.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank erik_trick_12
Melbourne
“Good different experience”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I decided that if I was going to break my bus journey from Vientiane to Luang Prabang in Vang Vieng then I wanted to something different to make it worthwhile. What a great decision. The accommodation I chose was basic although there is a range of options available. I was shown a couple of rooms in different buildings and decided on one a little further way from the cafe in the Mulberry House which has outdoor showers and toilets. This was perfectly adequate given the time of year and length of stay, two nights. I had all my meals in the cafe as the food was very good, tasty, healthy and a nice selection. The Mulberry Farm is a little way out of town so you need to be prepared to stay put or pay to get in and out of town. There is a bit of an issue with the cost of transport to and from the farm so I suggest if you can, contact the farm and ask them to arrange it for you with a set rate. I was fortunate that one of the farmers nieces was staying at the farm to help them out so I think this made all the difference to my stay, the service and my experience. This farm is quite unique and I would highly recommend people patronise the accommodation and cafe to ensure it's survival and longevity. You can even help out on the farm with the goats or wander up the road and give impromptu English classes.

• Visited April 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“good tea, pancake and cheese”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

the mulberry tea and pancake were interesting and tasty. the goat cheese is also very tasty. the service was very slow but we weren't in a hurry. the coffee was horrible- we sent it back, tasted bad and was cold (not intentionally). the fruit plate was average. the omelet was very overcooked but I doused it in goat cheese, added tomato and cucumber and put it in a baguette as a sandwich.

Visited March 2013