“Good hotel let down by roosters, bar music and public address speakers”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Inthira Vang Vieng

and 1 more site!
Inthira Vang Vieng
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Vang Vieng
Montreal, Canada
“Good hotel let down by roosters, bar music and public address speakers”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Inthira Vang Vieng I located on the main road through town (not down by the river and view). Although the overall location is not the best, when you arrive at the hotel, it's like arriving into an oasis of calm, with an really nice garden setting vibe.

One of the best things about this hotel is the bar kitchen lounge area. Food and drinks are very good. (Although the Inthira property in Champasak has better food)

Our deluxe room was really nice - great décor, however the bed was very firm.
There was a safe, but it was not bolted.
Air con, water temp and pressure were good.
Restaurant prices are reasonable.
Going into our first evening, all seemed well,,,,then the noise started.
On the right side of the hotel is a restaurant that plays very loud music in the evening till 10 or 11pm.....even if they have no patrons. The next morning, we realized there are many roosters just beside the hotel. This in itself would not be that bad (with ear-plugs), as rooster noise is very common in rural Laos,....however, there was also a large speaker (near the old runway), playing news announcements and patriotic music. Too bad, this noise being out of the control of the hotel.....

Other people travelling with us had a standard twin room (cheaper and with no view) on the lower left side of the hotel. They said they didn't hear much of anything.

Room Tip: Try the left side of the hotel to avoid noise - worse view but probably quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't recommend staying here mostly for reasons beyond the hotels control. The empty karaoke bar next door was loud enough to drown out the TV or to prevent any thought of sleep until very late. Then very early the school next doors PA started up broadcasting the morning news for an hour. If you like your sleep as I do this was problematic. When I asked to change rooms to the other side of the hotel the receptionist said only if we had twin beds. For other unrelated reasons we knew this wasn't true and that a double room was in fact available. For GLBT travellers we found the continual questions of wouldn't we prefer a twin room annoying. Once we understand, the tenth time gets to be enough. No fridge is annoying too as cold water is a bit of an essential in the SE Asian heat & humidity. Otherwise the rooms are clean and presentable but you'll have to toss a coin to see who gets the only bedside table. While I know the hotel cannot control the noise my suggestions for improvement would be more power points. The only ones in the room were right behind the bed or the TV, a fridge and another bedside table. Positives were excellent WiFi, a working room safe and a very nice restaurant area. Breakfast was substantial and well cooked. I probably would look for somewhere else if I came back as we booked this place because it was away from the hustle and bars of the river area. Hope this info helps you.

• Stayed November 2013
GMINTHIRA, General Manager at Inthira Vang Vieng, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Kay,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am very sorry to read that you have not been satisfied with your room
I wish to take this opportunity to apologize for the way it was handled at the time of your stay.

It is our standard practice to move guest rooms if not satisfied & if none are available to accommodate guests, as best we can, to satisfy their needs.
I am sorry the reception did not offer you a suitable room and I will meet with them and make sure this does not happen again.
Thank you for letting me know.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss and allow us to attempt to make this up to you in our Restaurants or other Hotels on your next visit to our beautiful country, please do so.

Thongsay,
Inthira Vang Vieng
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel was great, the staff were friendly and the room was clean. They had a mosquito net over the bed which was handy as I get bitten very easily. The view from our room wasn't great (but was to be expected) but we were over looking a chicken pen and the old airport. However the front of the hotel overlooks the beautiful scenery. It was very close to the bars and restaurants, we were also able to hire a scooter directly across the road. Just be mindful that they lock up the front of the hotel so when we came back from a night out the front area was locked up - so just get the security guard to open it up for you.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The rooms are large and reasonably comfortable and the breakfast was good. The location is central but not attracive. Its a little noisy and the place looks like it could do with a face lift. There is better value to be found down by the river and the views there are to die for.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The hotel rooms were very average and our breakfast options didnt include much. The breakfast menu didnt change for the three days we were here. We were allowed to use the pool of their sister concern hotel Bansabai ,but the pool looked more like a jacauzi . It was small and dirty .
we had a hassale free stay here though not the best of the hotels.
The location of the hotel is quite convinent to walk to the pubs and other hotels.

Room Tip: When you choose a room ask them for the one at the extreme end of the corridor.. You would get a big...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I chose Inthira Hotel for my initial visit to VV based on value for money. I was able to book a standard room with two twin beds at the rate of $29 (including a 21% tax!).

I don't think the reception desk is obvious, as you have to walk through the restaurant/bar/lounge area to arrive. Not really customer friendly, considering travelers are arriving from a trip of at least a few hours (if coming from Vientiane), or longer. There were a few employees around (two behind the desk), yet I had to approach them to inquire about where to check in. While it was nice that someone presented us with cool drinks at that time, no one actually welcomed us (my mother and I). The woman at the desk just matter of factly handed me a check-in notepad to fill out after asking for our booking confirmation number. After the check-in process was completed, we were shown to our room, again, without any real communication (i.e., thank you for booking with us, please enjoy your stay or if you need anything, please let us know or...).

When I booked the room (via Agoda.com), there was a choice of 'mountain view' or 'city view'. My mother and I opted for the 'city view' this time around, as we were traveling on a budget. As we made our way back to our room, it became obvious to us that our 'city view' was not even that. The door and only window to the room opened out onto the hallway, which was below ground floor. The room itself was nice simple, modern elegance. And clean (yay!). There was hot water and the pressure was fine. The mattresses were fine, as well. Not the best, but no sleep was lost either. The remote to the tv was missing, so it was a bit inconvenient to use; but not a big deal. There was also a gap wide enough at the top of the door that you could see enough outside. I just kept thinking mosquitos, especially with the prevalence of dengue fever in the area at the time.

The hotel has a little pagoda off to the side of it that is the kitchen (it's actually called The Kitchen). The pad thai I ordered certainly didn't wow me (or even close). My mother ordered fried fish cutlets and grilled ground pork sticks that were pretty good. Other than the pork sticks (which was an appetizer), the portions were indicative of the french influence (think peti/te). I needed some caffeine post lunch, so just for convenience sake I ordered the ice coffee there. Way over priced at 18,000 kip. The inclusive breakfast the following morning made up for the mediocre lunch. My mother ordered the eggs and bacon (which included a side of nicely toasted bread and homemade apple jam) and I had a small bowl of yogurt with the same jam.

The wifi in the restaurant/bar/lounge area in the front is pretty good. Once in my room (#214), however, I pretty much couldn't use it (what if I wanted to take a break during a hot day to post pictures while sitting in some air con?).

Over all, as the title of my review states, it's a good enough place to stay in VV. It's not riverfront with spectacular views, with staff taking initiative to offer some good customer service during your stay, but it's clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our stay at Inthira was not without problems - while we were there the water cut off in the whole town, and we sat in the lobby and watched a string of customers try to argue about it with the receptionist while the manager disappeared (trying to fix the problem, or sensibly hiding?) HOWEVER we had a beautiful ensuite room, very comfortable with excellent air con and lovely furnishings, the price was reasonable for the standard of the place, the manager was helpful, friendly and flexible and did attempt to come up with alternative solutions to the water problem, and we liked the free internet in the lobby and the free mystery cocktail (we're guessing the ingredients included mint and banana). All in all we stayed longer than we planned to, and have very fond memories of the place. We weren't that impressed by the restaurant, but there are so many other restaurants in Vang Vieng that it didn't matter, and breakfast was nice. I would stay again, without a second thought.

Room Tip: There are 2 Inthira hotels in Vang Vieng - the one at the river is Ban Sabai and more expensive, we...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel