“Not perfect but very good assets”
Review of Maylyn Guest House

Maylyn Guest House
Ranked #5 of 99 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Not perfect but very good assets”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Great stay in this guesthouse. We wanted to be a bit far from the hustle and bustle in a quieter place but to stay at a close distance from the centre. You can eat good food there if you're not in the mood of walking to the town. Too bad the kitchen staff isn't really warm nor smiling.
Noted that we could use the free bridge to reach the centre during dry season.
Nice bungalows, even if some flaws can be noticed. The view on the cliff is greatly appreciated, in particular while balancing in the hammock with a beerlao. Plus, it is not expensive. When we were there, price range - 50,000 to 80,000 kips. Be cautious about the price as one of the receptionist tried to charge us a higher price, without any obvious reason.
We knew about the reputation of the owner towards French people but we didn't have the chance to meet him.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diofisis

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at Maylyn Guest House while backpacking through Laos. It was recommended to me by another traveler along the way and I can definitely see why. It was exactly what I wanted and after my stay, I recommended it to anyone heading to Vang Vieng.

The location is quiet and across the river from the town. This is one of its best selling points, in my opinion, and made it feel like a real hidden gem. The bungalows are minimal, but still charming. And the communal atmosphere and the friendly staff are great if you're traveling alone (like I was).

The gardens on the property are truly beautiful and you'll probably see some of the resident kittens running around. Hiking, caves, waterfalls and swimming holes are all nearby. Stay here if you can; I never wanted to leave!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelsey S
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I spent one of the best times of my traveling life at Maylyns guesthouse earlier in November. I had a view of heaven from my front porch. The bungalow was so sweet, so well kept and with such a personal touch. The sounds at night were poetry and the butterflies brought emails from backhome asking if they weren't really birds!!! And did I say the food was the best I have had in SE Asia (and I have been in love with SE Asia for over 20 years now and that's a lot of food!!). It's a quick walk to town along a river that's teeming with local life, crossing a footbridge made for photo shots and a quick trip to whatever you might want in town. I went to town every day only for an early morning walk, some world news, and to check in on the rosters, birds, cows, and school children on their way to school (part of which entails wading across a small inlet river) The place is near caves, a blue lagoon that defies description, and a small village that really makes you feel some small part of a larger presence of a good life still out there, without the humdrum of daily life in the more "developed" world. Keep the so called development, Maylyns is quite enough for me. You can even stay in a tree bungalow if you are so inclined, if you don't mind finding one of the resident kittens sleeping on your porch in the morning.
There's a sense of community if you want it in the outdoor dining room or you can play it solitary and you've certainly got that. The place is landscaped in a lovely way, with a well fed spirit house and an all around sense of peace. If you are lucky enough to get to meet Joe in the evening, you'll find a charming man with stories to keep you enchanted for hours IF you can get him to stop working for that long . The place is a gem, go soon before the world finds it!!!

Room Tip: I loved me detached bungalow!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank waxwing69
Michigan
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Wonderful garden grounds with trees, vines, multi-colored shrubs and many flowers. Some of the staff speak Lao, English and French, are very polite and helpful. If you want TP' ask for it as they have hose/spray at toilets for those that prefer it. Quiet except for their little dog. Next to the river which is clear enough to swim in. I swim daily. Food is good. I came for 3 days and stayed nearly 3 weeks. The area is beautiful with waterfalls, caves and the blue lagoon nearby.

Room Tip: Plenty of options, look at different rooms and choose.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Allen A
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I spent 2 nights in this guesthouse and really enjoyed it.
The atmosphere is great and for a very cheap price you have bungalows hidden into a magnificient garden.
The staff is really helpful.
There you can meet a lot of interesting travellers and have nice chats.
Its location is optimum, outside of the noisy center bus still close (10min walk).
I would recomment this place without any hesitation.

Room Tip: Try to get a bungalow with view on the river
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Moet60
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 8 days and would go back tomorrow! Maylyn is a great guesthouse with a special atmosphere: I loved the garden, the beautiful plants and all the butterflies that are attracted by them. The view from Maylyn is stunning and its great to be a bit away from Vang Vieng city. When you go into town, you have to pay the toll bridge but seriously, 50 cents for that per day dont hurt that much...
Our room was great value: 80.000 Kip for a fan concrete room with hot shower - what more can you ask for. The food is good too! I found Maylyn very clean, especially in the common area. Yes, there are some cats and dogs walking around but where in Asia and especially in a budget place dont you have that... it didnt bother me the least and most importantly, the dining table is always clean.
One day, Joe brought us for a dirtbike ride around VV which was absolutely amazing! He knows the area so well and thus, we visited places and villages we would never have found on our own! Joe might appear abrasive at first, but he's actually a really nice man with loads of exciting stories to listen to. Enjoy!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joanne_782
The world
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed at Maylyn for 4 amazing nights, and had the best bungalow on offer. We never tired of the hammocks amidst the bountiful gardens and abundant butterflies.

It was relatively easy to find - over the toll bridge at the bottom of town, which costs 4,000 Kip return per person - though you can also walk a few minutes up river and use the free foot bridge with take you to the town center.

All the staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful, the owner Joe was a true gentleman and was always eager to chat to his guests and provide local sight seeing advice.

The food was excellent and well priced, would highly recommend the Keng Pet soup, the coffee was very good and always scolding hot. Most days we had our 3 meals here, breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Was great to be away from the noise and hubbub of town, and nearer to the walks or short bike rides to the caves, lagoons and countryside which are located on this side of the river.

Was also the perfect place to just settle in for the day and relax with a few beers. Was a great experience and a much needed change to the usual standard Hotels and Guest Houses you find in town centers.

Thanks to Joe, Wan & Hat for making our stay one of the best in Laos.

We woud highly reccommend this guesthouse.

Go raibh maith agat arís agus tá súil againn a fheiceann tú arís roinnt ama.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul T
hobbit46, Owner at Maylyn Guest House, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
thank you thank you and thank you yes I enjoyed meeting you too ..come back!!