“Super Chill” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maylyn Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vang Vieng
Maylyn Guest House
Ranked #5 of 96 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
“Super Chill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

if you're looking for a place to get away from the crazy of Vang Vieng but still be stumbling distance from all the action, this place is what you seek. it's in a garden setting and there are great bungalows with hammocks for when you are tired of doing all the activities VV has to offer. There's a cool communal area where everyone comes to talk and just hang out. The owner and the staff are all super cool too and the food is delish!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tin100tin

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Great stay in this guesthouse. We wanted to be a bit far from the hustle and bustle in a quieter place but to stay at a close distance from the centre. You can eat good food there if you're not in the mood of walking to the town. Too bad the kitchen staff isn't really warm nor smiling.
Noted that we could use the free bridge to reach the centre during dry season.
Nice bungalows, even if some flaws can be noticed. The view on the cliff is greatly appreciated, in particular while balancing in the hammock with a beerlao. Plus, it is not expensive. When we were there, price range - 50,000 to 80,000 kips. Be cautious about the price as one of the receptionist tried to charge us a higher price, without any obvious reason.
We knew about the reputation of the owner towards French people but we didn't have the chance to meet him.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diofisis
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at Maylyn Guest House while backpacking through Laos. It was recommended to me by another traveler along the way and I can definitely see why. It was exactly what I wanted and after my stay, I recommended it to anyone heading to Vang Vieng.

The location is quiet and across the river from the town. This is one of its best selling points, in my opinion, and made it feel like a real hidden gem. The bungalows are minimal, but still charming. And the communal atmosphere and the friendly staff are great if you're traveling alone (like I was).

The gardens on the property are truly beautiful and you'll probably see some of the resident kittens running around. Hiking, caves, waterfalls and swimming holes are all nearby. Stay here if you can; I never wanted to leave!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelsey S
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I spent one of the best times of my traveling life at Maylyns guesthouse earlier in November. I had a view of heaven from my front porch. The bungalow was so sweet, so well kept and with such a personal touch. The sounds at night were poetry and the butterflies brought emails from backhome asking if they weren't really birds!!! And did I say the food was the best I have had in SE Asia (and I have been in love with SE Asia for over 20 years now and that's a lot of food!!). It's a quick walk to town along a river that's teeming with local life, crossing a footbridge made for photo shots and a quick trip to whatever you might want in town. I went to town every day only for an early morning walk, some world news, and to check in on the rosters, birds, cows, and school children on their way to school (part of which entails wading across a small inlet river) The place is near caves, a blue lagoon that defies description, and a small village that really makes you feel some small part of a larger presence of a good life still out there, without the humdrum of daily life in the more "developed" world. Keep the so called development, Maylyns is quite enough for me. You can even stay in a tree bungalow if you are so inclined, if you don't mind finding one of the resident kittens sleeping on your porch in the morning.
There's a sense of community if you want it in the outdoor dining room or you can play it solitary and you've certainly got that. The place is landscaped in a lovely way, with a well fed spirit house and an all around sense of peace. If you are lucky enough to get to meet Joe in the evening, you'll find a charming man with stories to keep you enchanted for hours IF you can get him to stop working for that long . The place is a gem, go soon before the world finds it!!!

Room Tip: I loved me detached bungalow!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank waxwing69
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Wonderful garden grounds with trees, vines, multi-colored shrubs and many flowers. Some of the staff speak Lao, English and French, are very polite and helpful. If you want TP' ask for it as they have hose/spray at toilets for those that prefer it. Quiet except for their little dog. Next to the river which is clear enough to swim in. I swim daily. Food is good. I came for 3 days and stayed nearly 3 weeks. The area is beautiful with waterfalls, caves and the blue lagoon nearby.

Room Tip: Plenty of options, look at different rooms and choose.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Allen A
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I spent 2 nights in this guesthouse and really enjoyed it.
The atmosphere is great and for a very cheap price you have bungalows hidden into a magnificient garden.
The staff is really helpful.
There you can meet a lot of interesting travellers and have nice chats.
Its location is optimum, outside of the noisy center bus still close (10min walk).
I would recomment this place without any hesitation.

Room Tip: Try to get a bungalow with view on the river
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Moet60
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 8 days and would go back tomorrow! Maylyn is a great guesthouse with a special atmosphere: I loved the garden, the beautiful plants and all the butterflies that are attracted by them. The view from Maylyn is stunning and its great to be a bit away from Vang Vieng city. When you go into town, you have to pay the toll bridge but seriously, 50 cents for that per day dont hurt that much...
Our room was great value: 80.000 Kip for a fan concrete room with hot shower - what more can you ask for. The food is good too! I found Maylyn very clean, especially in the common area. Yes, there are some cats and dogs walking around but where in Asia and especially in a budget place dont you have that... it didnt bother me the least and most importantly, the dining table is always clean.
One day, Joe brought us for a dirtbike ride around VV which was absolutely amazing! He knows the area so well and thus, we visited places and villages we would never have found on our own! Joe might appear abrasive at first, but he's actually a really nice man with loads of exciting stories to listen to. Enjoy!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple