“Good budget option, nice owner”
Review of Pan's Place

and 1 more site!
Pan's Place
Ranked #6 of 101 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed three nights in one of the lower rooms. Seen the low price this room was really good. Spacious enough and decent bathroom. A little worn out but that can be expected for this price. I really advice the lower rooms since they seem to be less warm then upstairs. Less then 5 min walk from the center but quite location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Pans place is one of the finest hostels to stay in... The staff are unbelievably friendly and they guy (Chris) will do anything for you.. My friend infected his arm very badly and Chris helped him out a lot.. My other friend needed to get a flight home and Chris got on his scooter and sorted it all out for us and paid out his own pocket (100 dollars) and just said sort the money out later... The hostel is in a great location easily accessible to anything you need in vang vieng.. I highly recommend trying the red Thai curry, I have travelled all over Thailand but this one I had in Laos has been by the far the best... For the money you pay to stay at this place it is second to none.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place is a great place to stay. The rooms are simple (bed, shower, fan), but clean.
The location is great if you want to have some fun in Vang Vieng, but also want to enjoy a good night of sleep, because the guesthouse is located approx. 10 minutes walk from the most popular bars.

The owner of the place is an Englishman with a great sense of (English) humor. If you choose to stay here, have a look at the information-map in your room ;)

The breakfast is served in the guesthouse is delicious, especially the baguettes.

One advice: book this place on forehand, because the days I have stayed here all rooms were occupied, and even saw some travelers been sent away because there was no room when they arrived.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2014

A nice and chillout place for backpackers. Chris was a funny and helpful host, told us all about what was around vang vieng and gave us all the information, and more, that we needed. The food was good, the room was good, location was about 5-10 mins from city centre, just keep walking on the main street to find it. They've got a tvroom where you can watch movies and chill out, nice! They got also a small internet cafe inside, but the internet didn't work from time to time, and some of the computers were broken. but a really nice place!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms were very reasonable for the price we paid and on arrival were allowed to choose between three rooms which was good. The food at the guesthouse was also nice and I recommend the blt baguette! The location was also very good in walking distance of everything you need.However, our last night ruined our trip as service in my opinion is the most important part of any stay. We had paid our bill in dollars as we didn't have enough kip on us at the time and didn't want to keep them waiting. I then (just out of interest) asked Chris how to exchange kip to dollars or if I couldn't what is the best option. The response I got was very abrupt and negative asking 'why we hadn't paid in Kip' the answer to this was so that they had the payment there and then, apparently the night previous a couple were very loud and I can only assume that we had been tarred with the same brush even though we were in bed by 10.30! We had also booked a mini van the next morning which I had checked a few times was definitely the minivan. The night before I confirmed what time to be ready (as people who are late are irritating and we don't want to be those) we were told 9.30. At 8.45 the next morning we had bangs on our door saying our bus was here, when my partner opened the door she was told this then Chris just walked off? I can only assume that again he'd made the assumption we were the ones who had made the mistake. In fairness he did apologise for the error once we were downstairs. We are very easy guests to put up and our reviews here are very honest but with my partners mum in hospital during our stay which we had informed them prior to staying we were saddened to be treated in this way.

• Stayed: May 2014
chris p, Owner at Pan's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

I am sorry that you did not feel I gave good service, as this is clearly not the feeling of the vast majority of our guests
So to answer your specific complaints
You were unhappy with how I answered your (just out of interest ) question about exchanging dollars for kip and visa versa. You paid the bill at the desk with my English speaking staff, why did you not ask them. I was eating my breakfast and was thus off duty, so I did not appreciate that you did not respect my personal space.
I woke you a bit early for a shuttle that I thought you were on. The mini vans go at 9 o’clock so I assumed that was for you.
Chris knew my partners mum was in hospital, so he should have been a bit more careful not to upset us. I am told many things by many people every day, I am sorry, but I treat everyone the same.
Pans is a very busy place especially in the mornings when we have to get many people feed and out the door in about an hour and a half. I am regularly woken at night to deal with people who have forgotten that they have now left the bar and don’t have to shout to be heard any more. I also deal with lost property , injuries , tourist advise , and police bust’s from time to time. So when I am really busy and have had my sleep- broken , I have little patience left to deal with poorly thought through, or un necessary questions.
So if you want to stay in a good value for money , busy ,and popular place, that will help you if you have a serious problem then this is the place for you. On the other hand if you are having a delicate time in your life , or you expect 5 star treatment and attention for $3 a night, please avoid here as it is possible you will have your stay ruined.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The staff were really helpful and friendly, the food was good and the tv room was fun for recovering. The rooms are what you'd expect for the price you pay - they're very basic and could do with a tidy up, but overall the hostel has a very welcoming feel and it's in a convenient location.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

A really nicely run place with lots of different options for rooms (from good private bathroom rooms to cheaper shared ones). The food served in the restaurant is better than most at good prices. The staff seem happy at what they do and provide good service. The hotel offers several chill areas, tv room with lots of movies and free computers to use. The thing that makes this place get top rating is the owner, who does a really awesome job taking care of everybody.

Of course, the place struggles with the same stuff as rest of south east Asia as unstable WiFi. But in general this place does a lot better than the rest.

Would never consider staying anywhere else in Vang vieng

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends