“A-mazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A-mazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

One of the best experiences I have had whilst being abroad. The views of Vang Vieng are amazing, with the river and mountain back drop. Definitely worth the $70-$80. Ran safe and an exceptional pilot

Visited February 2014

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fly, be free”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was an amazing experience for my partner & I who had never flown in a balloon before. I understand what the bad reviews are talking about, the safety regulations are very minimal, and I understand people have crash landed in trees, etc. In our case we actually landed in a school yard just before class. Read the bad reviews, I don't want to say this will be perfect for everyone, but it was perfect for us. Laos isn't a nanny state like many western nations, people ride around on motorbikes without helmets and so I'm not surprised the safety regulations for ballooning are not as strict as some other countries. You can't really predict what the weather will be like when you book the balloon and it's often misty around the mountains. I found the adventure very uplifting, ha ha.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Design-Kink
Penticton, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was one of the highlights of our trip. We had done it before in Christchurch but this was way nicer. We paid $80 each and felt that it was totally worth it. We were able to pay with credit card but were charged a 3% fee. There were 4 other people in the balloon with us and they picked us up at our hotel and dropped us off afterwards. We did the sunset balloon and the scenery was incredible. It probably is the cheapest place to got hot air ballooning and the prettiest.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank MichelleGee8
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Don't risk your life! Completely unpredictable!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We were picked up from our backpackers on time and driven in the back of a ute to where the balloons were being inflated which was all fine. 3 balloons were to take off ours being the last to leave.
At no point were any of the passengers in any of the balloons given any safety information, or told what to expect.

Our balloon took off and all seemed fine. After about half an hour we began descending and this is when things began to go wrong. As our balloon came down we missed some powerlines by merely a few metres maximum. As we descended further it became apparent there was no obvious place to land and the pilot flew us straight in to a bamboo forest. Our balloon dragged us through the dense forest for 10 or 15 metres.

We thought this was the end butnit was actually just the beginning. We tried to ask our pilot to let us out but through the very small amount of english our pilot spoke we realised he wouldnt as removing everyones weight could potentially damage the balloon. So we began to take off again as this was not actually our landing zone.

As we flew off again we kept very low just above the level of the power lines which we only just previously missed. We then saw a ute racing along a dirt road below us and some people running up ahead of it who our pilot appeared to be communicating with. It then became apparent that we had drifted straight toward a bunch of power lines. Our pilot had realised and proceeded to reduce the flame on our balloon to the point where we were descending rapidly toward the ground. The pilot had to do this to miss the power lines. The pilot through out an anchor which was dropped by the people below causing us to crash very hard in to yet another bamboo forest. All the while our pilot had screamed multiple times and was reallynpanicked. By this stage 4 people were huddled at the bottom of the basket and crying. While we were waiting in the forest the bamboo which we crashed in to began to catch fire in the flame. Our pilot then began to take off again. Luckily the anchor had been tracked down by some people nearby and they hauled us to safety. The other two balloons whih took off with us went without a hitch. The safety in this ride is completely unpredictable andbits only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt or killed. Dont take the risk.

17 Thank Will E
Santiago, Chile
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“awesome experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I got a very good experience, they picked me up at my guest house, on time to see the sunshine, everything was nice, I loved the view from the ballon. Very recommended experience and I just paid 75 USD, I think this is the cheapest placet to fly in the world

Visited May 2013