“poached eggs, pancakes and fresh beer” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Laos Haven Hotel

Laos Haven Hotel
Ranked #2 of 96 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Seoul, South Korea
“poached eggs, pancakes and fresh beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

During my stay in Laos I came to VangVieng quite spontaneously and therefore I had no idea where to stay. I ended up in Laos Haven quite coincidentally - a fortunate coincidence.
The prices are very good. My room was clean and shady, bathroom was totally fine. The service is excellent and if you're open minded and willing to listen to the owner's knowledge you can get advices what places are worth going to without paying extra money for tourist guides. You can rent scooters and bicycles directly at Laos Haven or buy tickets for buses (e.g. to Vientiane) or a balloon ride. Food is delicious especially breakfast was a pleasure and if you don't know what to do in the evening you can sit down with a fresh Laos Beer and talk to the owner to learn more about VangVieng or just to enjoy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank M H
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Owner/Manager Michael Laos Haven Hotel: Thank you for sharing your honest opinion and good experiences while staying in my hotel. I look forward welcoming you back to Vang Vieng again. Warmest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Anywhere
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Chose this place due to so many 5* reviews, but not sure why others rated so highly.

Building looks impressive and freshly painted, but our room very low quality fittings, clear signs of bits missing (e.g. holes in wall etc). No sign of spa though "it is due soon" (though no idea where as unless it is a cheap jaccuzi then no works seen...). Bathroom typical asian get everything wet type, but 4 different tiles and still holes in walls shows rooms not refurbished.

We booked in advance on email and agreed a price which when we booked in was not allowd and we had to pay higher. Had to speak to owner to get agreed price.

Room only serviced if asked (which they fail to tell you) - and even asking for new toliet roll needed owner to approve. When room was serviced, toiliet wasn't cleaned and an open bag of "used" toilet paper left outside our door for hours.

Free water only appeared on day 1 (of 4) - never replaced.

Reception key security was weak - just ask for key number. You can even DIY putting key in drawer or getting other keys as reception isn't manned all the time (they were in the bar)

No maps or any attempt to give us information about the place

Noisy location - not through parties but soooo many cockrels, thin windows, and DIY startting at 7am isn't great for sleep.

Considering price this place charges you can easily do better - Vang Vieng is full of other places. (FYI - This hotel used to be called Tony Guest House, and Wikitravel says Tony used to charge 60,000kip per room which is probably out of date but shows how much prices have gone up when the rooms haven't chananged)

With "expected" basic service and without issue it'd only be 3/5 with rooms in current state.

6 Thank RyanAndMel
Owner/Manager Michael from Laos Haven Hotel:
Thank you very much for your very negative review of my operation. With due respect, please do not belittle my guests intelligence and their opinions. FYI quantifying satisfaction is very subjective and personal. Your agenda and objective in staying at my hotel is very well understood
Your existence will be shared among all my associates in the hospitality industry worldwide so as to protect & prevent future attack
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Outstanding stay here. The staff was helpful, and the food was amazing. The owner, Michael, was extremely informative and was always available to chat. This is not a place to stay if you just want to party, but rather a perfect option for those travelers who care about accommodation and quiet evenings. We'd gladly stay here again if visiting Laos again! The best part is the location really. Outside of the noise, but a simple 5 minute walk to the main part of town.

2 Thank M O
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Owner/Manager Michael Laos haven Hotel & Spa: Thank you very much for your support and posting a positive review of your experience while staying with us. I am glad you truly enjoy your stay and I do look forward to be of service to you and your friends in the near future.
Guatemala City, Guatemala
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed here a few weeks back with 5 of my mates. We rented 2 rooms...a double with two beds and a dorm room with 4 beds. Everything was suitable and the price was decent. However, the staff were completely and utterly useless. They never cleaned our rooms or replaced toilet paper/towels/etc. They lost 4 of our room keys when we left them at the front desk and then tried to make us pay for them. The woman, who seemed to be the manager, actually screamed at me one night when I came back to the hotel because I left my key with a male employee who was working at the front desk. She told me that it was my fault that he lost my key and wanted me to pay her for it. The final straw was when we checked out she tried to say we stole or lost 2 towels. We had turned them in the day before for fresh towels which never arrived. She wanted to charge us an astronomical fine and then threatened to call the police on us when we refused to pay her. She also refused to to give us our change because she said they were putting that money toward purchasing new towels because we were thieves. By the end of our stay I came to realize that most of the people working at this guesthouse were just plain crazy. Needless to say I would not recommend staying at this place unless you like crazy people and are not a imaginary towel thief.....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank kpdank
Owner/Manager Michael from Laos Haven Hotel:
It is very sad to be victimized, but as established International Hospitality Professionals, we are trained to accept certain level of abuse or intimidation from guest but.anything above and beyond we also understand we can exercise our rights to defend our interests.
Falkirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

The owner Michael is the most attentive owner I have ever met not just in Laos but anywhere, he knows about and understands customer service. He has only had the place so its a work in progress but he will get to be the standard setter in this town. Breakfast was best in Laos we have had, nothing is a problem just ask Michael and its done. He provides advice on the pit falls of this town and how to avoid them. All sound and prudent advice. Dont miss this place if your staying in Vang Vieng. Michael I give you a 10 out 10

Room Tip: Just ask the owner
2 Thank Billy W
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Owner/Manager Michael Laos haven Hotel & Spa: Thank you very much for your vote of confident & support and I will keep working toward being the best host in Vang Vieng for all that will be staying with me.
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and we enjoyed it. Great shower, good breakfast and like mentioned before very nice and helpfull owners. The only odd thing was that there were no sheets provided (only blankets) I used my sleeping bag liner instead of asking for sheets so I don't know if this is the policy. They are still working on improvements (due to the floods in Thailand the suplies didn't arrive) so it will become even better. I hope some decorations will arrive too to give it a little more charm, it is a little bare now. But this all said I would stay there again if I would be in VV once more

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Hautvast11
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Owner/Manager Michael Laos Haven Hotel & Spa: Thank you very much for your support and a positive review. I am glad you enjoy your stay with us and I look forward to be of service to you again. FYI I have taken your suggestion and have included extra flat sheets to all my bedding
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I chose to stay with Laos Haven Hotel after reading some positive reviews on the internet. During my stay in Vang Vieng, I got very sick from consuming some local vendor food. The owner (Michael) was very kind and helpful; he brought me to the local hospital and stayed with me throughout my consultation. I had acute food poisoning and had to stay in hospital and Michael came daily to visit me and brought me chicken broth each time and also came to fetch me back when I am well to go. I sincerely believe he would have extended to every of his guest what he did for me. Michael, thank you again and all the best to you & your hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are all good for the price you pay
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Owner/Manager Michael Laos haven Hotel & Spa: Thank you for your positive vote and sharing your personal experience while staying in Vang Vieng. It will be my pleasure to take care of all my guests the same way as I have done for you.