“Professional and Caring Management”
Review of Laos Haven Hotel

Laos Haven Hotel
Ranked #2 of 97 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Professional and Caring Management”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Note: this review takes into account the accommodation type and local costs.
We were here for five nights in February and were very pleased with our large clean room and the service provided by the caring and knowledgeable couple who manage the hotel. The included breakfast selection was adequate considering the room price.

Room Tip: Room 305 has a large private balcony with a table and chairs as well as mountain views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Michael: Thank you for your concise & candid review and I look forward to be of service to you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed here from 27.02-01.03. The first night I stayed in their standard room which was decent, clean and the staff was very friendly. The only problem was a few drunk idiots started screaming at 01:30 till about 02:00 in the morning.
The second night I stayed in their room with a balcony, which was a few dollars more, but had a refrigerator and a much bigger TV. This night was also a peaceful one, without any loud noises until the morning around 10ish maybe, when some construction work started nearby.
Overall I would recommend this hotel of you are looking for some quiet, clean and very frugal rooms with a friendly staff

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Michael: Thank you for your positive review and we sincerely hope to be of service to you again
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I had the deep tissue massage with oil and it was easily one of the best I have had. The pressure was perfect and it relieved the chronic pain in my lower back.
The massage room was basic but clean, and the staff were friendly.
It was great being able to have a shower afterwards to wash off the oil.
Highly recommended.

4 Thank Fityfoo
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Michael: Thank you for taking time to share your experience and we are glad to hear our spa therapist serve you well
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My booking for two superior double rooms was somehow changed to Savanhvangvieng hotel without noticing at all. That was a bad start. When I asked for the reasons of the change the female owner just talked to me and my auntie with a very unpolite manner that our rooms at the booked hotel were just painted in the morning but if we insisted to stay in those rooms she said we could. I was not crazy enough to bring my cousins who are just 3 and 10 years old to the freshly painted rooms. Besides, I brought 2 cousins who are under 18 years old with me, in which i expected to request extra beds in case we could. However, the "female owner" was just very rude and talked to me and my auntie with a very bad manner. The point is I didn't mind to pay for another room at all but the way she spoke to us was just like someone who doesn't have service mind. I have to say that the rooms were spotlessly clean and offer a nice view but the toilets are a bit poorly designed. The problems haven't ended just yet. The owner has charged 30,000kip from my 3 years old cousin because the number of people exceeded the quota of breakfast that they offer (we have 7 ppl having breakfast). That was just rudiculous. Frankly, my family also own a hotel business in Vientiane and knows how to run the business. I have travelled to many places around the world and stayed from expensive hotels to backpackers' lodges but never received such a bad service before. For the record, there are many other beautiful hotels and guesthouses in Vangvieng that are worth the money than this hotel. I should have been cautious enough to take the negative reviews in my mind when I made the decision. As I have read all the reviews, the owner seems not to bear the negative comments though. Finally, in my very personal perspective, be aware that this hotel "is not willing to serve Lao tourists and customers with children".

4 Thank Diane P
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2015
Michael; As hospitality professionals we are train to respect and serve our guests to the best of our availability but every guests should also learn to respect and accept the rules & regulations of the hotel they wish to stay.
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Well my younger sister booked this hotel for our family 1 night with 2 rooms. At the first moment we will be there with 4 adults and 2 children (3yrs & 10yrs) that's why we booked for 2. But finally we've got 2 more teenagers with us and we decided to booked more room later. When we arrived the hotel, a lady came to us and point to next hotel called Savanhvangvieng, we're surprised because we booked this hotel but she said there are the same. Ok, that's fine but she was shocked that we came in 8 ppl and said that we need to book one room. We asked for extra bed but unfortunately there is no extra bed in this hotel. In the morning, the lady came to my family and said that we could only have breakfast for 6 ppl only, no problem, I was crossed the road to have my own breakfast and I heard from my mom that they charged 30,000 LAK from my niece (3yrs) and my younger sister could not order more than 1 dish (though the morning breakfast is some what buffet). Well it was really disappoint for us to had such an experience like this. Laotian are no problem with us, they have service mind but Thai lady is really bad.

3 Thank MalisaPhom
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Michael: I totally agree with you regarding you making a wrong decision to choose us. FYI we are a foreign owned and managed entity in LAO and we are train to work within the international hospitality practices which is very different from locally owned and managed property. What happened to you was nothing personal with regards to how we address issues like only 2 person per room, free stay for child and 1 potion eggs per person during breakfast that had sadly translated into a poor experience for you and your family. I can truly empathize how you felt but then again the entire international hospitality industry will also be practicing what we did.
We as professionals in the hospitality industry always work within certain framework and guideline that is internationally accepted. Our hotel policies are clearly stipulated in our website together with the term and conditions and it is also clearly stated in your booking slip and with no offence if you are by nature uncomfortable about following rules and regulations than it is only understandable for you to opt to stay in a Laotian run property. Furthermore, please be enlighten service mindedness is NOT about giving in to what you want
Lastly, if you do believe your country will progress into a developing country in the near future you must start learning how to accept changes. Many foreign investments are already here and many more will be coming and together will also bring international practices and norm that will be very different from what many Laotians are used to.
I sincerely hope without prejudice you can take a moment to reflect on what I wrote.
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We are a couple with a 16 month toddler. We had chosen this place based on trip advisor ratings and we were not disappointed. We were put up in Laos Haven first but for some reason I just didn't find the bed comfortable so we talked to the host about it the next morning. Around lunch time the host came up to us and shifted us to the opposite hotel which he also owned saying that it was a newer property and hopefully I should like the bed. He went out of his way to ensure that we also got one of the best rooms with a fantastic. That was a nice touch. And yes, the bed was very nice. We never had the chance to thank him in person when we were leaving so if he is reading this....thanks a ton! Anyway, here the pros and cons.
Pros - good size room, good wifi, good size bathroom, good water pressure, clean, room cleaned everyday with fresh towels and a great host who listens to your problems and solves them too. We also used their laundry service because they do it in-house and you can see your clothes drying in the sun.
Cons - less hot water but this is a problem wherever instant water heater is used in the bathroom. We are used to this now (after travelling for more than a month)as except for a few hotels, everyone uses this kind of water heater.
Tips - if you have any problem, talk to the host and he will see to it that your problem is solved. Don't be put off by the hostess...she is actually nice even though she does look n behaves stern!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lily S
laoshaven, Owner at Laos Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Michael: Thank you for taking time to share your positive experiences while staying with us and your gesture of appreciation is well received. I sincerely look forward to be of service to you & your family again
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Booked for Laos Haven Hotel & Spa and when we arrived we were bumped to an alternate property, along with other people who had made reservations. Not the best start to the booking, but breakfast was simple, yet tasty, except that we had to go back to the original hotel to get..

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BethHackett
Michael: This is preposterous to insinuate in this review we BUMPED you to an alternate property.
Let me refresh your memory, you had a booking with Booking.com #440494284 clearly stated a STANDARD DOUBLE OR TWIN ROOM WITH FAN We had on reservation a Standard Double Fan room for you in the current building but on arrival you requested for a twin bed if possible because you were not a couple and do not wish to sleep together.
For the record we could have just follow exactly what is printed on the booking slip but instead in good faith we accommodated your request at our expense by upgraded you to a SUPERIOR TWIN A/C ROOM on our newly acquired property across the road but you just had to walk 10 METER back to the main building for breakfast in the morning. Furthermore, the very next morning you requested for an extension for 1 additional night in the same room in same building but only prepared to pay the same rate as your booking for a STANDARD FAN ROOM which is USD18.60 and we obliged.
Please enlighten me what is wrong with you we actually facilitated your request and gave you an upgrade to a TWIN A/C ROOM and you should actually be grateful and appreciative for what we did but for some unethical reason, this review is totally out of context