“guides are swindlers”

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Papoak cave itself was interesting, but narrow and not very long. I was kind of led to believe the guide was included in the 10 000K fee, but no. Afterwards he asked for 100 000. The torch he provided was good though. I had only 50 000K note and they didn't have the change, so we agreed one of them would go and change the bill for smaller and pay me 40 000 on my way out. Later I found out they payed me one 20 000K and two 1000K notes back. Being very low cave it consumed a lot of energy especially from thighs, so when I did Phu Kham cave my legs were already shaking. So if you are not in top condition, skip this one and go to Phu Kham instead, where you can have food and a swim in the lagoon.

1  Thank MakkisDude

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing time walking to the cave (the scenery is so beautiful) and then through the cave was astounding.
Although, inside it is quite dangerous so I would recommend good waking shoes, bring an extra (good) torch (they give you one, but just in case), and take everything SLOWLY.
It is a beautiful massive cave with very impressive structures, but be wary.
Also it was quite scary inside. I would also recommend going with a friend (I went by myself) just in case something was to happen to one of the group.

But well worth doing, probably the best thing I did in Vang Vieng.

1  Thank JessVZ
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Really, I wished you can go there alone or at least he would be silent all the way. He knew 5 words "good, beautiful, wow" and "enough, lets' go" he repeated them all the time, no sense and pretty distracting. Take your own flashlights, the ones they give you are really bad and you can barely see something. Caves are dangerous, so I do not recommend flip flops. Guide was moving fast and we didn't have enough time (and light from the flashlights they provided) to enjoy the beauty of cave.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

OK, maybe it's partially my own fault for doing this on flip flops. Our guide was an 11 year old kid, who provided us with the smallest flashlights ever, with low batteries. The pitch black cave was plain dangerous in these conditions so we turned back after seeing the first big stalactite. Every year people die in these caves, but in Laos they have a good habit of wiping these kind of events under the mat to keep the money-flow steady, especially in Vang Vieng. I'm glad they cleaned up the whole tubing party scene. the parties were great, but with an average of 2 people killed each month, it was getting straight morbid. Anyways, be careful, wear proper shoes and bring your own flashlights.

2  Thank ruud p
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Amazing cave! You get a guided tour through the cave since there are a few big holes where people could fall down.
Sometimes its very slippery... don't go with flipflops.
Please take flashlights! Including huge spiders.....

1  Thank Nicky F