“Great for a backpacker”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vang Vieng
Mesah View Guesthouse
Ranked #25 of 97 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Great for a backpacker”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Everything that you could ask for backpacking it. Cheap price, clean safe premises, helpful staff and a river view to die for (try to get the river view rooms)

Air con for an additional not-very-much. A little bit out of the main drag ( 7 minute walk) but then you probably need it, you've been traveling for awhile and you're starting to sag a bit.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Great to hear that you had a good time.

Just to let the world know that Mesah View Guest House is now under new management, Mathias is now the manager, so the contact details have changed.... The great views over the river will remain the same, and I am sure Mathias will make you as welcome as Loay did.

This is my last post, I am Arthur, an Australian and Loay's friend, who created the website and managed the tripadvisor side of things because Loay needed a bit of help with English spelling! I wish the new manager, Mathias well in his new venture.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 31 August 2013

In terms of money/value Mesah is not unlike many other places around.
Location is good, not in the centre of the town, but not too far away to make getting anywhere a hassle. You will not be hearing music from bars.
Rooms are not exactly clean. I was sharing mine with spiders and their webs in the corners, however we got along well and were not bothering each other. There were stains on the walls. Some dead insects were occasionally falling, probably from the mosquito net, which I did not touch to not make things worse. A couple of spots of unknown origin (seemed like blood drops) on the bed sheet. The window overlooked the road, so the noise from motorbikes and kids playing ball across the street, especially in the morning and despite closed windows, was a problem. But mostly I was waking up to chatting in the lobby, which was annoying at 7-ish am. However I give the place some credit for providing toilet paper/soap, wifi and hot shower for the money asked. Bottom line: opt for rooms in the back of the building.
Staff provide additional services, such as laundry, motorbike rent and somewhat overpriced bus ticket booking (compared to other places). However I met no one who spoke even basic english except one boy. Though everyone was friendly and tried to help in any way possible.
I was in Vang Vieng in low season, so the prices for that category of accommodation were almost identical everywhere. My life does not depend on sterility, but still, if I come to Vang Vieng again I might spend some time looking at the alternatives.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Hi Alex. Firstly thanks for staying at Mesah View and for taking time to write a review.

As I put in response to a previous review, Loay and Phai do not own the guesthouse but lease it, and cant do too much (as in stained walls) as it is leased a year at a time. They spent a lot of money updating the plumbing in the bathrooms for example, and I think you will agree that the bathrooms are very nice now...

They have just taken over another guesthouse which is cheaper to lease and where the rooms are a little cheaper still but with a restaurant closer to the center, and this is probably depriving them of time to supervise staff, and so I apologise for any failings.

However, it would have been good to raise your concerns with Pookhee (the boy you refer to) as he is very very intelligent, speaks good English and resolves problems with the same panache that Loay does, and may well have been able to address your concerns at once so that your stay would have been more enjoyable.
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

I called Loay from Vientiane and my call was cut off, he immediately called be back! Such a helpful and friendly man who picked us up for free when we arrived.

As for the rooms, brand spanking new mosquito nets in all rooms I poked my head into, spotlessly clean bathrooms with hot water and NEW fittings. Double room with fan (60 000k) with aircon (80 000k).The balcony view is AMAZING overlooking the river and is a perfect place for sundowners! Big beer only 9000k as well, ice cold!

Perfect location and fast wifi. Loey will help you with ANYTHING you have a question about and the bars and restaurants are really close but far enough away to be quiet

• Stayed May 2013
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Glad you had such a good time! This is Arthur here, Loay's Australian friend who made the website for him! Glad to have clarified the issue that Loay will provide a pick up service provided he knows which bus company you are with as they each stop at different places around town.

The previous review referred to insects. The open balconies offer completely unfettered views of the river or the hot air balloons taking off or landing that cant be beaten, however it does mean that at nights moths etc can be drawn to lights so it can be an issue occasionally depending on wind direction.

However, the reason the mosquito nets are still brand new is that I think no one has used them yet, apart from a cockroach which found it a lot harder to get out than to get in, and they are there as a precaution as much as anything else.

Whilst most people have a massage in the salon downstairs, sometimes people have them in the comfort of their room. This has led to an issue with massage oil on the sheets, it takes two or three washes to get rid of the oil, so that whilst it appears the sheets may have not been changed, the truth is they have, just the oil is a bit stubborn. My job in Australia is massage and I use oil which comes out easily!

There was a review earlier about a room with paper thin walls. Loay only leases the guest house and has two rooms which he only rents out in the high season for this reason. Loay wants to knock the walls out to make a decking overlooking the river for relaxing sundowners or social mingling but so far has yet to get the owners' approval.

And please dont estimate Pookhee. He may still be at school, but Loay's nephew speaks and understands English really and is as helpful as Loay.!
manchester
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The mosquito net in the room was tied up with a huge cockroach inside. I wonder whether the bed was not cleaned, or the net had a huge hole? We moved rooms, the bed sheets were really stained with big oil patches which smelt brand new so the sheets had definitely not been changed. The pillow cases had numerous hairs. There was a toothpick left in the sink. Huge hole in the mosquito net. Bolt on inside door didnt align so could not be used. Heaps of rubbish stuffed under the beds with dead bugs and clumps of dust. Bedroom door thick with cobwebs.
Struggling to find something positive to say. No doubt the owner is going to respond belittling my claims but hey im just telling you my experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunshine909
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
I apologise for your unfortunate experience. We will be giving your a full refund. I will be contacting you privately to ascertain the best mechanism for doing so.

I am based in Australia, and am just going to Vang Vieng for a holiday, but now it looks as though I have some work to do to investigate this matter to see if it was an isolated incident and if not to fix things up so it wont be repeated.

Before Loay renewed the lease and there was a lot of uncertainty about whether the lease would be renewed. During the downturn when the government smashed up the bars, we had a couple of bad reviews about the plumbing which were issues we couldnt do anything about at the time. As soon as the lease was renewed, however the plumbing was fixed.

Likewise I feel confident that your review ensures that improvements will be made in response to your review.which will benefit those that follow in your footsteps.

Again, our sincere apologies...
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I like the location as it nears to kayaking end point and my favourite pancake stall & french restaurant just nearby. No free tuk tuk service from bus station and no welcome drinks as claimed. The room is clean and we were lucky to got a room near balcony which can see beautiful sunset in van vieng. The staff was not really helpful. Nobody help us to call the minivan we booked when it didnt turn up.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Celestefun
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
The customer is always right. Many guests are easy to please. However, some are very hard to please!

You liked our location but only gave it three stars. You had a clean room with a new mosquito net and a magnificent view over the river for great sunsets which you liked but only gave three stars!

I note that you wrote in your review of The Nice Guest House in Phonsavan: "The best thing about this GH is the free tuk tuk service from bus station". Is that really your main criteria for judging a guesthouse? I would have thought having a room with a magnificent view at our guesthouse was rather more important than a free one dollar tuk tuk ride, but each to their own! Send your details to me and I will refund one dollar to you quite happily.

If you phone up, Loay will come and pick you up. However, we no longer wait at the bus stop because so many travellers made a booking and then simply didn’t show up which ended up getting very frustrating, waiting at the bus stop for hours simply wasting time. When the buses arrive there is a mad scramble where many guesthouses try to convince you to forget your booking and go to their guest house instead, and we don’t want to be part of that. However, Loay forgot to tell me (in Australia) to update the website to that effect, for which I apologise, and I have modified the website.

You mentioned "No free welcome drink as claimed". This is actually what it says on the website: "Complimentary cold water and hot drinks are available at all times". No mention of free welcome drink. Instead you had free drinks all the time! What more do you want? You are able to give us a bad review with a comment which is blatantly false and can damage our business and tripadvisor ratings, and owners have very little come back in terms of right of reply. Throw enough brown stuff and some of it sticks.

I would ask you to please take more responsibility when you make further reviews on tripadvisor in the future, and to worry about the big things rather than little things.

I would like to take the opportunity to let everyone know that new mosquito nets are now in all the rooms, as shown in the photos newly uploaded. We have also just introduced lower off season prices.

Finally, I would repeat an earlier point I made: A lot of the staff have extremely limited English. Kind of like you have extremely limited Lao in most cases. Please remember that until a handful of years ago this was a place far, far off the beaten track, a place bombed to bits by the US without declaring war, and that it takes time to get up to speed learning English. Also many of our staff are a little reserved, as this is the Lao culture. It does not mean they are not trying to help, however.
Vang Vieng, Laos
Reviewed 9 March 2013

If you want to spend a really good moment in vang vieng, go to mesah view guest house, the owner loay and the staff are super friendly and they can give you a lot of precious advices to enjoy this city!

the rooms are clean, peacefull, cheap and you have one of the best view on the river and the moutains, the sunset is awsome!

free wifi, free coffee, free smiles! i will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BriceThihglander
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. As you pointed out, there is free wifi. What we have failed to do is explain that it is really fast! Some people need to run a business and find a place to stay for a couple of weeks and chill out but still make money over the internet. Or to just watch movies and facebook etc. We are here for you!
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

The room was clean, though the walls are a bit stained, sheets and bathroom were clean. The view is spectacular and unbeatable. For a single bed room with the amazing view and aircon is ten dollars. Who could ask for any better? The owner is very friendly and responded promptly to all the emails I sent. Great place.

Chinese Cowgirl

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank ChineseCowgirl
Arthur G, Public Relations Manager at Mesah View Guesthouse, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thanks for your review, and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are doing what we can to update the premises as fast as we can. Loay leased the guest house for a year and with the Government removing all the riverside bars the tourism trade dried right up and for a while the guesthouse was losing money. Loay has recently renewed the lease, and has updated the plumbing and toilets and put in mosquito nets. Soon he will be painting the walls in the rooms.

With only 11 rooms we need to keep our occupancy rates high considering the low prices we charge so the progress has been a little slower than we would like. However, we are getting there one step at a time.