“If you are bothered about saving 5000 kip then stay here...if not there are better options!”

Chilllao Youth Hostel Guesthouse
loughborough
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Probably the worst hostel I have stayed in in SE Asia. I don't usually care but the place was dirty, cobwebs on the bed frame, no security measures at all...anyone could walk off the streets at night into a dorm. In the bottom bunk I had to watch my head when sitting up as there were nails coming down. The windows wouldn't close...there is no social area...it was full of buckets catching the rain water because of leaks. The wireless only works in the front bit...we didn't really see anyone. Needless to say it did the job for one night then we checked into a private room with ensuite for 5000kip more each...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank squelchyl
Chill V, Owner at Chilllao Youth Hostel Guesthouse, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
We regret to inform you that you may have mixed us up with another hotel as there are 3 or 4 with similar names in this same province. Our hotel has 24 Hr security and a code lock on the dorm rooms that is changed weekly. Nails that reach from a top bunk to a bottom bunk that are aimed at your head would be considered lethal worldwide so we guarantee that there is none of those here. May I suggest having a look at the room next time you check in to a hostel and also be sure that you get the name of the hotel correct before leaving a negative post.... nonetheless take care of yourself and "bon voyage" as they say :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vang Vieng, Laos
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Initially chose this place because of trip advisor reviews, the excellent ratings of which i dont understand having been there. I paid for a Single room. It felt unclean, smelt damp. Spider webs on corners of walls, insects around bed, dirty water gathered on bathroom shelf and worst of all used condom on side of bed! Even though i had paid, i couldn't stay the night. I thought it was fair to recieve a partial refund as i was not staying the night but refused by owner. He said somebody else may have wanted the room for the couple of hours he had marked it as taken on the website, however there were actually many empty rooms. There are similarly priced hostels down the street that are clean.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 60Traveller60
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I wanted cheap, I got it :) I wanted Wifi, I got it :) I wamted to be central, I got it:)
This place is basic, centralzed with a good vibe and the catch is that it is very inexoensive. a recommendation for snyone who just wants a place to stay on a budget and at the same tie doesnt want to be swarmed with bugs or long walks to town... Very nice All around I wish I could have staty longer yeah
thanks to the boss for the cheap last minute private ride to vientiane by the way (got me there in less than 2 hours) lol I got my flight date mixed uo

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Hannah S
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at this hostel for 1 day at around 20,000 kip per night. The room was basic but sufficient. I fell asleep at the balcony area for 3 hours and there was no one to disturb me at all. The receptionist is a westerner who have stayed here for the past 7 years. He speaks good English and Laos. He was really helpful; even allowing me to park my motorbike in one of the vacant rooms over the night. The only bad i can think of for this place is that there is negligible signal of Wifi here.

Overall, highly recommend this place if you're staying at Vang Vieng.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Nong Khai, Thailand
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I just stay for 3 weeks and had the best time of my life. The most comfortable beds here and terry even let us choose between a few rooms as some are harder and also. we only paid 50.00 yoyal for 2 of us to stay . the mama can also bring room goof service including FREE COFFEE. TEA. water

and most importantly they have the English man behind the counter \who has been here for 7 years so hr can answer ALL of your qustions
Has standard metal buncks in the dorm and eithe rnew teak beds or tie bedsa.

go now before it fills up - - see you gao

Room Tip: if you want air you must pick a room on the north side
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hoi W
Reviewed 16 June 2013

very nice guy who owns the hostel, he can help you with any question. had a foodpoison and he drove me to the doctor. free coffee and tea and a nice place to meet people , thanks for the stay . would come again for another time

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Paul F
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed here with a friend in a twinroom. Our room was really dirty and the beds were more like wooden bunks. Saw a cockroach in my bed. I did meet some nice people, but you can get a way better room somewhere else, for the same ammount of money. We ended up going to the place across the street, was a lot better, clean and for the same price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Chill V, Owner at Chilllao Youth Hostel Guesthouse, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Firstly, I'd like to apologize for your experience with Southeast-Asias common little bugs but all of our twin rooms are on the 3rd floor where no cockroaches could ever be.

Our bunks have always been metal barrack style actually made by the military so you may have mixed our place up with another one nearby as they all look very similar and some have VERY similar names.

Regardless, I hope you have had an enjoyable stay in Laos and I wish the best to you in your future endeavors, travels, etc.

-Dev :)