“Potentially wonderful”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Vang Vieng
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Potentially wonderful”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The room was lovely and the location beautiful, but they were having problems with leaks in the thatched roofs. We were told that the place was closing down the week after we left so that they could refurbish the rooms and address the leak problems. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast very good in the restaurant which has magnificent views over the river to the spectacular mountains.
We liked it very much in spite of having to change rooms because of the leaks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room down at the level of the river.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The resort is outside the center but easy to walk to the center. On the other side of the resort is the hospital situated. There is a little, clean swimming pool. I booked a cottage and the bed was good. The bathroom was very small. The manager gave good service. They had the intention to restore the resort.

• Stayed March 2014
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Nice bungalows and good breakfast with a beautiful view alongside the river. Walking distance from the center of the town. We also enjoyed the restaurant for dinner (couldn't find a better place in town); with a very nice atmosphere (see pictures). Wish you a nice stay !!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Following lonely planet we decided to have diner here, with seven. It was a big disappointment. Pasta carbonara cannot really go wrong, but the other dishes were not good at all, especially the quantity. The 'spareribs' were four in number, with approx 50 grams of meat. The coconut chicken red curry, was amazing... It was soup, with lots of lemongrass and would say 30 gram chicken.
When I complained, the manager laughed at me, telling me that the recipe said there is 150 grams of chicken in it.... Got a discount of 15%, and we went to another place to fill the stomach...

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Diederik_G
Springbrook, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Wow stunning views. Those cliffs. The beautiful river. Cute huts.
We stayed in a river view bungalow for four nights. Welcome drinks were lovely! Air con upon room entry was a relief after the trip from Vientiane.
There was no fridge. I was hoping to stock up on local fruit and store multiple servings of delicious local takeaway. For example there was (and hopefully still is) a lady outside the hotel making these delicious pancakes, the thin ones that then get folded in half with something sweet inside....). The no fridge was to discourage food in the huts, which attracts animals. There was a note about it. Completely understandable. Yet I had to learn the hard way. Beware. They will come....there were many ants on the bed when I came back from my second walk (the first walk being to acquire fruit and pancakes). Once I removed the crumbs from the bed they left it alone. My fault. Had to be a rebel.
Ants love computers, cameras.... I lost the letter R, F and V to some ants eating wiring last year so I was very careful and kept my laptop in the safe when not in use. Air tight. My camera was constantly in use. Did I mention the amazing view? Seriously it is worth staying here for that alone. The staff were polite and helpful. Room was clean. Towels crisp. Hot water system easy to master. They do laundry too. Very handy.
I have one complaint, the lighting. Because there were bright lights along the path just outside, and the curtains were thin, our room was bright at all hours. There's a glass wall in the shower so your silhouette is visible to people outside at all times. For toilet privacy closing the shower curtain was my solution.... I'm hoping that didn't just enhance the silhouette. Guess I'll never know. Sorry restaurant diners!!! Oh that reminds me. The restaurant was lovely. Fried rice in a pineapple. Delicious! Breakfast was good too.
Eating by the river gave me such a feeling of peace. The chairs outside the room were extremely comfortable, therefore I reclined happily by night and stared at the stars. What beauty.
We hired a moped each day. It's the best way to get around and so cheap. The hotel staff were very helpful in recommending a close by business (across the road). They went out of their way to keep the moped safe for us by wheeling it inside the gate that night.
Overall, a charming place by the river. I'm happy we stayed there.

Stayed June 2014
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The location at the river is nice, the beds are comfortable, the service is OK and the breakfast very good (e.g. scrambled eggs, baguette, butter and jam, fresh fruits, juice and coffee or tea).

So why only three points? This is due to the rooms.
We checked in in bungalow 5, which was not really inviting and there where big GAPs in all windows and below the door. When taking a shower, we had to kill 12 mosquitos first. At that point we would have liked to check out, but had paid already in advance.
The problem seemed not to be uncommon and so we were able to change to bungalow 3. It was better there, since the bath window was sealed. The GAPs in windows and doors still existed, so that we had some animals, but OK, there were mosquito nets.
The real problem came up when we tried to sleep: The walls between the bungalows are partly only out of straw and so you hear literally everything what your neighbours are doing. That is especially a problem, when the neigbours at your left go out partying until 3AM and the neighbours on the right have a baby which wakes up early....

It is a pity that we can only give 3 points, since the location could be really idyllic. But we can not recommend the place in terms of value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bunglalows where the bathroom window is sealed. In some there is a huge GAP in...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at Ban Sabai for about six days. We had a nice bungalow, #13, right on the river. The bungalow had windows on the side as well as in the front, providing both great natural light and a wonderful view. We could lie in bed and watch the boats go by. The room itself was somewhat shabby but pleasant enough. The more expensive bungalows appeared to be bigger and had nice, new chairs (unlike ours) on their porches but lacked the great, unobstructed view directly onto the river. Breakfast was included and served at tables along the river. Decent food but the tea was never hot. There were lounge chairs by the river and by a small swimming pool. Staff were pleasant. The location was not only beautiful but quiet. No noisy partiers anywhere near.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple