“Decent hotel with friendly staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Phonsavan
Auberge Phouphadeng
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Phonsavan
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Decent hotel with friendly staff”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We were very anxious what to find after reading these reviews, but pleasantly surprised after our visit. New heating system for the shower was installed, repairs were made. Tremendous view from the cabin and restaurant (valley and city). Big and private cabin which was clean (but could use a spring clean). The entire complex could do with a renovation (dont expect western luxury in Laos). Good breakfast (fresh fruit, juice, egg and bread). You can have dinner (they ask you when you arrive) or just arrange a lift into town. Staff is very friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank ReizendeoomRoelen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We weren't expecting much as the reviews were terrible. The staff were very helpful and obviously trying to cope with no resources. Was once a little haven after a hard day at the plain of jars, you can tell but the owner's son has let it fall into disrepair and neglect. The stairs were rotten in cabin one, cabin five was lovely. Awful karaoke from down the bottom of the hill, but was over by 10. Without a car it would have been awful as it is far from town, we drove into Phonsavan for dinner twice at Bamboozle, what a find, that place is. Breakfast was absolutely fine, not sure what the fuss was about. Dogs barking all night but that is Phonsavan.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Yes, the reviews are accurate but you know what you are getting before you arrive. Our view was lovely but during the night all you can hear are dogs barking. Dinner was poor but we were warned by reading the reviews, you have to try it to believe it. However, the hotel redeemed itself after I had an unfortunate fall in the jungle and had to be carried back to the hotel with an aspirin for an ankle dislocation and double fracture. The next morning the staff arrived with a full breakfast and tried very hard to help me. The moral of this story is don't require medical care in Laos.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hanoi
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I traveled to Phonsavan, Xieng Khoang with my friends in May this year and stayed here for only one night. I was impressed by the nice cottages on the hill and from here you can have an overview of Xieng Khoang city. However there is a little issue here about the lack of water. In the evening, when my friend was taking a shower, suddenly the water ran out. I informed the staff but it took quite about 30 minutes to have water again. The staff cannot speak much English but they are nice and friendly. The hotel is on the hill so it's good for those who needs quietness and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Halong bay, Vietnam
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I traveled in a group and came to Auberge Phouphadeng in late afternoon. The first sight at this hotel took our hope that finally, we would have an relaxable night in really nice cottages. Actually, don't let the outside performance of the cottages fool you. I had only 1 hour to take shower and refresh before the night activities, but I found that the bathroom lack water, and worst, no hot water.

I intend to make a call to Front Desk but there's no phone in my room. My hope was risen when a receptionist walked by our door and listened to our problem but after adjusting the gas control of the hot shower, he said I had to wait about 5 minutes. It's because there are some weeks no guests staying here and the hot shower was running out of gas - an acceptable reason.

After 5, and 10 mins, and 15 mins, I couldn't wait anymore. I decided take a bath with cold water. Again, I was surprised when the water was just some drops rather than a water line as before. Anyhow, I tried my best to wash my hair with that too limited source.

Another BIG problem is that All people from outside can look at what's happening in my bathroom !!! Exactly, there's a window at the same height of my chest looking outside WITHOUT curtain, and obvisously, people outside can look at me (hahaha...). I had a solution: Turn of the light inside the bathroom hence it's hard for others to look at me inside although this was very difficult to bathe without light.

When I told my mates about this, I received the same complains from them. I saw this was the common matters in all 18 cottages.

Maybe the hotel is on hill-top and tha water valve is not strong enough to pump up the water. Maybe the gas ran out already and no energy to warm up the water. Maybe, maybe.... but next time I won't stay here again.

The hotel looks over the city and Xiang Khuang plain. The location is ideal. The staff, like other Laotian people, are always calm and courteous. Good sleep quality because the hotel is on hill-top. Breakfast, although not many choices, is acceptable for us. But this hotel needs more and more attention to details.

Room Tip: All rooms are cottages - 18 rooms in total and all have the same problem as I described.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DragonCrew
Wedmore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We stayed here for a single night on 17th March, and have to agree with most of what's been said before. The condition of the rooms is pretty un-cared for, with gaps in the walls where the timbers have come apart. We had to order dinner when we arrived at 4pm so that the ingredients could be sourced from the town. The local Karaoke bar was blasting away until the small hours, followed by dogs barking in the town all night, and I said then that that must have been the worst night's sleep I've had for years.

Its a shame really, because with a bit of TLC the place could be so much better, and benefit from the remarkable views.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Phonsavan hotels

Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Great views and I thought the place was very quaint and I was happy to stay for a couple of days - if only because the alternatives are so limited. Having said that, comfortable beds, fabulous views and hot water (albeit slightly idiosyncratic and probably dangerous) made for a good stay for me.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business