“700 steps to climb to the main attraction.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pindaya Caves

Pindaya Caves
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Pindaya
Sydney, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“700 steps to climb to the main attraction.”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We arrived late in the afternoon, it was crowded. We were the only western tourists there, so a centre of attraction.
The steps are very dirty, monkey pee etc on the steps.. Of course you have no shoes on, so watch were you walk.. The monkeys are everywhere, and you are encouraged to buy corn to feed them. Worth a visit if you have the energy and time to climb…

Visited March 2014

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fabulous Pintaya”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

From our Conqueror Hotel we could see the Pindaya Caves, the covered pathways up to the caves for the devotees and the lift structure to the entrance of the caves from the drop off point for those being transported up. Thousands of Buddha Images placed there by pilgrims
over many centuries greet you as you enter the main cave. A maze of images of every size, of gold leaf, bronze, marble and alabaster. Some are draped with rich cloaks, to keep the Buddha warm. Fab. lunch at the beautiful Green Tea Restaurant by the lake and great stay at the Conqueror Hotel, the umbrella factory and the Shwe Yaunghwe Kyaung teak monastery highlights on our way to Inle Lake

Visited February 2014
Sydney, Australia
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Extraordinary”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Hard to put into words how amazing the Pindaya caves are. The caves are chock full of Buddhas. Something like 8000 is the estimate. They've been donated by people from all over the world. Simply amazing.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank RomaPHILE33
Magliano Sabina, Italy
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Bit of a drive to get there”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

That said, we enjoyed our visit - thousands of Buddha images, some from 11th C - a veritable labyrinth! The Shan paper handicraft workshop was fascinating as were the wooden umbrellas.

Visited January 2014
Quezon City
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Pindaya- a real-deal off the beaten track”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My second visit to Myanmar last 2013 was all by myself only.
I did that with the agenda of traveling the most significant places there that Includes the Big 4- Yangon (again), Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake.

With the determination to do a side trip in MraukU (via Sittwe) Monywa, Sagaing, Pyin Oo Lwin, Mt. Popa, Pindaya, Indein, Kakku, Sankar, Nay Pyi Taw, Bago and Hpa-An.

And then I realized that for 7 nights, this was too impossible to do.

So I decided to give a shot to Sagaing, Mt. Popa, Pindaya and Indein

All of them are worth-going except Mt. Popa. For me, nothing so much to see in there.

Pindaya was on my last list- a day and night prior to my flight from Yangon to Bangkok.
I searched the internet and even asked the owner of the guest house in Taunggyi (a town nearby the Inle) of how could I DIY going to Pinadaya, but the internet has a little and almost had no information that can provide at all. The lady has a very discouraging words for me to do it by myself.

I suspected that she wanted me to avail of their taxi which she offered me around USD65.
knowing that it was not practical for a single traveler like me, I took note of the possible way I can go there.

I spent another night in Taunggyi and my plan the next morning was a solid determination to reach PIndaya

from the guest house where I stayed in (Little Princess Guest house- oh by the way- I do not recommend this guest house for the reason that I arrived around 4AM in the morning here, without informing me ahead, they charged me the whole night even I just arrived on the morning)- I walked to the town and waited for the regular local bus plying to junction- the road going to Aung Pan. Because of lack of passengers, the local tuktuk driver offered me to drive me to the junction around USD 8. Thinking of saving the waiting time- I proceeded.

Upon reaching the junction- a local took me to a booking office along the road going to Pinadaya, She told me that the bus schedule would pick-up all those in the area at 12NN and 4PM.( it was 9AM then) and fare was $15. I calculated the time- and realized that I would spend 4-5hour travel period, I might ended in nothing because the Pindaya Cave is only open until 6PM!

Asking for additional information for taking some alternatives all words were discouraging. I told myself that it will be now or never. So I took the local bus (it was actually like a truck load of vegetable), I plied with the locals and charged around $7.

I reached the Aung Pan Junction after an hour. I looked around and ask of going to Pindaya. There was a local bus with 1PM schedule, but there would be no return after that. I asked the next day return schedule, it was 4AM!

Will determination, I almost took that but when the lady told me that the bus going to Yangon would be 7PM only. So my flight out of Yangon to Bangkok would be overlapped.

I discuss again another alternative, and the young lady suggested to me to hire a motorbike with driver. She told me if I'll leave now (it was almost 12NN) I can return at around 6PM, just in time for the same day bus going to Yangon for 7PM schedule

After negotiating for an USD8- the driver took me to the Pindaya Cave and my adventure started when the rain kept on pouring on us. The temperature was around 12 degrees! and being soaked in the rain made my eyes became all white!

We traversed the mountainous region and reached the cave for 2 hours!

I was all worth it! the place was spectacular, beautiful and really amazing!
I felt like, If I did not pushed this plan, I would regret this forever.

Visited December 2013