Bayview - The Beach Resort
Laguna Lodge(Ngapali)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssunset barlocal restaurantsgerman manageryoung germangolden rosebay viewpalm treesthe breakfast areawell trained staffgarden bungalowhotel restaurantreturn flightfree bicyclesplenty of sunbedsseafoodlounge chairsfantastic stay
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

A fantastic luxury feeling hotel that's worth every penny. We stayed here at the end of a 10 day trip through Burma backpacker style. Accommodation in Burma is generally expensive in comparison to cost of living but this plAce was about £75 per night for a garden bungalow. Getting there means a flight. We flew from heho with KBZ for $145 which is obviously not cheap. Flights in Myanmar are great with KBZ, air Bagan, Asian Wings. Book one day in advance with an agent. We were met at the airport by staff who showed us to an AC minibus. Our bags were taken care of, we next saw them when we got to our room.

The room was huge (double and extra single bed), bathroom was immaculate and quirky with a shower that you could pack 10 people into. Minibar. Sun loungers on decking outside.

Outside the room is even better so as nice as it is you won't be in it much. A 30 second walk to the beach through the pool area and beachfront bar and you're on the Bay of Bengal. Beware jellyfish. I had to rely on "natures cure" when stung. I later found out that it's jellyfish season but I can't moan, it is what it is. Beach is beautiful. It feels like a private beach because the hotels are so few in number. Plenty of sun loungers so you can bake all day (a concept the locals don't understand as they crave lighter skin tone).

The manager is called Patrick and is the most attentive hotel manager that I have ever come across. First class. He greets you on arrival personally and can be found working at a restaurant table or mulling around reception where guests can approach him if necessary. All of the staff were magnificent. We didn't have a flight out to Yangon booked and they took care of it all.

I can't fault the location or hotel. Oh, free bike hire if you want to go off exploring.

I say go soon because they are extending the runway at Thandwe and an air asia Bangkok flight will surely be operating in the next couple of years. Ngapoli is so basic and beautiful but there will be an inevitable tourism explosion.

Tip: bar on beach is lovely and we had lunch there on day 1. Please still go, watch sunset with a beer Myanmar but don't think it's your only choice. We quickly discovered some amazing understated restaurants a 2 min walk left from hotel. Dont be put off by things like mice running around the roof joists, or the entire family watching tv 3 tables over. Meals about 20% of price of hotel. Eg seafood platter ($4.50) squid, prawns, fillet of snapper, plate of tiger prawns ($4.50) vegetables, potatoes, 1 big beer ($2) and 2 soft drinks ($1 each) all for $13. In comparison a coke at hotel was $2.50 and a main $15 or so. Like everything in Burma - spread your money around the locals too!!

Tried and can recommend Brilliance and old friends restaurants.

Tip: minibar quite expensive. Visit shop nearby ASAP to stock up on water, beers and soft drinks at 1/3 the price.

Regret: restaurant called brilliance will if preordered 24 hours before buy, kill and cook a lobster served as a platter for 2 - $11 (we discovered this too late).

One problem with bayview - we didn't have enough time there!!!! Recommend at least 4 nights. Amazing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael3230704
GM-SHY, Manager at Bayview - The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Hi Michael3230704,

wow, what a nice comment from your side. Thank you.

We enjoy to hear that you liked our rooms and that you felt very comfortable with us at the Bayview - the beach resort and that you had a beautiful evening with an amazing Sunset and cold beer at our Bayview Sunset Bar.

We would be very pleased to greet you again,

see you soon.

Your Bayview Team

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at Bayview for two-nights to close out my 7-day tour of Myanmar. I selected Ngapali Beach last for some R&R to end my trip, and the resort did not disappoint. My room was clean, comfortable and charming. The resort is a perfect size (not too small, not too big) with everything one could want...beach, spa, pool, restaurant, wonderful staff (Patrick the manager is fantastic).

Even though most staying here were couples, I did manage to make friends and had a wonderful, wonderful time! I HIGHLY recommend Bayview, and if I ever return to Myanmar will stay there in a heartbeat!

Please note, I am a very discriminating traveler when it comes to lodging. This location is right up there with a nice Marriott or Hilton in a vacation destination!

It was simply a slice of heaven. Peaceful, serene, relaxing, comfortable, wonderful!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jkcarnah

Dear jkcarnah

we are very happy to hear, that you enjoyed our Hotel and that you did find friends, which made it a beautiful time for you in our resort.

We would be happy to have you again in Bayview - the beach resort for your next vacation

Regards

Your Bayview Team

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Our experience with this hotel was terrible!
This was not my first time in this amazing country and this was the first time that I had a problem!

1st - Manager in a country of smiles that doesn't smile is not a good image for the hotel. Not helpful either or emphatic. After our complaint he did not show a gesture of kindness neither tried to resolve the problems.
2nd - Staff not friendly or helpful which is something very rare in this country
3rd - Over priced for this kind of hotel specially when the toilet was not flushing.
4th - Food was very average.

To finish we checked in and checked out in 3 hours.
We moved to a super luxury resort for the same price!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joaopjorge
GM-SHY, General Manager at Bayview - The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear joaopjorge

Thank you very much for having taken the time to review us on tripadvisor.

We deeply regret that our services didn't meet your expectation, however we would like to clarify some of your mentioned points.

One of our major selling points is the wonderful staff who lives the Bayview feeling, unfortunately you did not give us the time within your three hours stay to prove our abilities. We feel sorry and would like to apology that we were not able to convince you with the first impression.

As you arrived without reservation and you were shown the entire hotel and given several options, you cannot really complain that it is overpriced, as you saw what you will pay for.
If you compare our hotel rates with others, you will see that we are very moderate and offer very good price-quality ratio.

Our customer satisfaction is very important for us, so we have asked you clearly, what made your mind changing? You were only pointing out that the toilet flush is not working and the manager is not smiling, that's why you want to check out immediately. From your side there was obviously no interest to find a constructive approach.

We hope that you could enjoy the days on the beach in one of our neighbor properties and we would be happy to be given the chance to convince you another time at our lovely Bayview.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel is simply wonderful. The common areas are well maintained. The pool is very nice. There is free Wi-Fi in the restaurant and some rooms that are close to the common areas.

The restaurant evening was delicious. Very high quality food. We ate and had dinner every night because we loved everything and the prices were very good. On Sunday night was BBQ and very rich, with many fish and seafood to choose. The breakfast is OK. The juice is not natural and tea is Lipton but the coffee was very good. Every day had different kinds of cakes, very tasty!
The very friendly Manager Patrick, attentive and helpful. It was always present to solve any problem.

I was in 2 rooms: sea view and garden view. They are completely different. Bungalow with sea view room was fabulous. Very large, with a very comfortable king-size bed, good quality linens, sofa with sea view and a small terrace to take a cocktail at sunset. The great bathroom with separate shower and toilet. A walking very practical closet with safe box. The air conditioning worked perfectly. The room to the beach sand was 1 meter. I loved this bungalow.

As the water festival, could not be us every night at the bungalow,we had to move to garden view. I hated it. I asked to change the mattress and sheets because it smelled musty. The quality of the mattress and the sheets were of poor quality, uncomfortable pillows. The air conditioning did not work well and each night had a sweating. Little functional closets. At the back of the room there was a door with glass that gave to the generator and caused lots of noise at night. This glass door had no curtains and we receive plenty of light at 5 in the morning. We could not sleep till late never.

There are many dogs on the beach. It is very sad. Us them gave ham, cheese and bread that were very happy. It seemed strange to me that BBQ night there were no dog nearby. I think they were locked up because the next day they were on the beach.

I would definitely recommend this hotel...is fantastic. The beach is wonderful, clean y he staff was always very friendly. I would recomended sea view bungalow...are fabulous and the difference is only $ 35!

Thank you!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OliviaMexico
GM-SHY, General Manager at Bayview - The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear OliviaMexico

We would like to thank you for your very sophisticated and overall positive review of your recent stay with us.

we are always happy to hear such nice comments which highly motivate all of our staff to go the extra mile day by day.

Regarding the second room you have stayed in, we deeply regret the inconveniences you had and double checked already all mentioned points.

Regarding the dogs, we are fully aware that there are dogs on the beach, but it is not recommended to feed them as a lot of other guests do not appreciate their appearance. Once they are given food, they will always come back, so please do not feed the dogs upon your next visit.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at our wonderful resort, if you reserve early enough, we are happy to provide you the Beach Front room for your entire stay with us.

Best regards

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is between the airport and the southern part of the island where all the very high end resorts are (Amata, Sandoway, etc). When you get to the very southern part past the high end resorts you hit the fishing village, I wouldnt recommend staying in that area but I would advise visiting early in the morning and mingling with the locals.

When I stay in a beach resort the most important thing for me is the beach quality right in front of the resort and the beach front amenities (umbrellas, beds, view, etc) since I probably will be laying on my beach bed all day and jumping in the water every now and then. I dont really care for a pool coz I go to the beach to enjoy the beach, I can find a pool anywhere. The other thing that is of secondary importance to me is the room The only time you will see me in the room is when I sleep. I need a nice quiet comfortable room as my retreat at the end of the day to get my beauty sleep. If these are your priorities then this review might be helpful to you.

Just like everyone else who is going to a place for the first time, I didnt know where to begin, I was looking at places like Amata and Aureum but they were way too expensive. Rightfully so, we did check out Amata when we got there and it was beautiful. They even gave us a tour of the place. If you are willing to spend 300+ per night and you can afford it, I would say go for it. I think you will get a better deal if you show up there and if there are rooms available you can negotiate in person. They were offering us rooms for 200+ per night. The beach right in front bayview is great, not rocky at all but if you go to the left or to the right of it then it becomes rocky and not so nice. I think that Bayview has the best spot in that midsection of the island. If you cant afford Amata or the resorts in the southern part then stay here.

My communication with the hotel was via email and I thought it was going to be painful but Patrick who was the manager at that time was very thorough, prompt and attentive that I felt very comfortable and confident proceeding with my reservation after a few exchanges. Keep in mind that a lot of places in Myanmar dont accept credit cards and I mean almost everywhere. Get your cash ready either in Kyatt or US dollar. I was able to negotiate a good price with him directly rather than going to Agoda or Asiatravel plus he allowed me to give my credit card as a guarantee instead of transferring money. Patrick passed my communication and customer service test with flying colors. I had a million questions because we were staying there for a week and I didnt want to make a bad choice. From the first email to our arrival, everything was flawless. 5 stars on our pre-arrival preparations, booking and confirmation.

When we arrived in the airport, they were already waiting for us. After boarding the last passenger in the van we were off to the resort. It took us maybe 10-15 mins to get there. Its 5 USD each way per person. At first I was thinking of just getting a cab or a tuktuk or whatever to get there to save some money but it wasnt easy and now that ive been there I would say just pay this fee coz you dont have much options. I can see this being very costly esp if you had a family of 5. I dont understand why its per way per person but whatever. Negotiate with the hotel if you have a big party. When we arrived in the resort Patrick and his team were there to welcome us. The check in process was fast and seamless, hi, hello, have a drink, sign here, initial there and give us the cash.

We chose the garden room coz it was cheaper. We were thinking we really wouldnt be staying in our room so why pay extra $$$$$. The beachfront rooms were really nice you can hear the ocean waves all day but you can also hear all the activity right in front of your room since the beach beds are literally 6 feet away. I specifically requested the second floor as I dont want to hear people above me and it was a great choice coz they were hardwood floors and you will hear the activity above you. The only problem with the room was that they gave us a room right by the stairs when I specifically asked for a quiet room. The garden view rooms are also facing the street and you can hear every single vehicle that goes through that street in your room. I would also hear some employees talking im not sure if that room is adjacent to a utlity room or something. If your sound sensitive and a light sleeper go with the second floor but stay in the middle rooms. There is no escaping the street noise which is only active during the day.

The room itself is quite impressive (see attached pics), I think the pics says it all. We even had sunbeds in our terrace but we never used it coz we were outside all the time. The breakfast was really good especially in burmese hotel standards. It was 5 star I should say. We are very picky and healthy eaters and there were options for us. The massage from the spa was also excellent. We really dont cater to hotel massages coz they are expensive and not so good at times but not in this area of the world. This is not Thailand where you can find great massage parlors outside your hotel. I wouldnt recommend those makeshift massage places by the beach, just pay the 25 USD and enjoy your quality massage in the resort. We never ate at the restaurant except for breakfast which came with the rate coz there were so many really good restaurants that are inexpensive. Our favorite was Htay Htay which was to the left when you exit the hotel. By the way, if you plan to bring some work or have a legitimate need for internet other than updating your facebook page then I wouldnt rely on the resort's internet, it was very very very slow. They told me to stay in the dining area since the router is there and yet it was still slow. I can't say this is a flaw since they never claimed to be a business hotel.

There were 3 flaws that made me not give them 5 stars
1. The front desk in the evening was not that helpful and not that knowledgeable. I understand that english is not their first language but I didnt feel that they provided good service or exerted effort to understand what we were asking and tried to help. It was different from the morning crew. I cant remember her name, ei ei maybe? She was excellent. There were also these women working in the breakfast buffet that were not very friendly and helpful no smile no expression. They should pay attention to filling up the yoghurt bowl instead of standing there observing every guest :)

2. The lock in our room was broken and Im glad I caught when we got back from dinner I cant believe that our room was unlocked for the whole day while we were away. We told them about this and they sent a crew of people to fix it at 9 pm and it took them more than an hour and several attempts only to replace the lock. I asked them if they can just move us to another room since there were other rooms availabe and the evening receptionist says Why? Doink!

3. The room choice could have been better.

I would recommend this hotel coz there are so many other redeeming attributes plus I feel this is a good value for money. Yes you can get a hotel for 70 USD per night but you get what you pay for.

As a world traveller I truly enjoy meeting people from different cultures and backgrounds and there are some that just touch your heart in more ways than one. The Burmese people will have that effect on you. Kind, gentle, honest and friendly people. When you are on the beach, you will see these lovely women selling fruits they just walk back and forth under the hot sun balancing a 10-20 lb basket of fruit on their head. I know coz she let me put it on my head. This is their livelihood, I made it a point that I spent 5-10 USD a day to buy fresh fruits from them. You provide food for your body and food on their table. WIN WIN!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AlexisRF

Dear AlexRobin

Thank you very much for having taken the time to review your recent stay that much in detail. We also would like to thank you for the suggestions to improve our quality.

We highly appreciate that you have chosen our hotel for the mentioned reason and we are very happy that we could meet your expectation. The small minus points were pretty appreciated discussed with the concerning departments. thank you very much for bringing it to our attention.

As you know now where paradise is, we would highly appreciate to welcoming you back during your next trip to this beautiful couontry.

Sunny regards from beautiful Bayview