Amazing Ngapali Resort
US$126
US$108
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewssea queensea viewshell necklaceamazing suiteseafoodfree snacksother hotelsflip flopsbeach frontfree massageocean pearlminutes from the airportnegative pointsbeachfront villathai massagebeautiful beachlarge balcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the end of our tour of Myanmar. We were delayed arriving here by a day as our Air Mandalay flight was cancelled. However when we did finally arrived the following morning we were given a warm welcome and shown to our suite beach villa. The room was large and clean but a little dated in places especially the bathroom.

The hotel is in a lovely peaceful location. Lovely white sandy beach and not crowded at all. It was nice to walk along the beach but once you got past the part directly in front of the hotel it was full of litter and not pleasant at all.

We ate in the hotel on the first night. Food was good and the menu large.

The following morning after breakfast and a walk to the local village we settled down to relax at the villa. Outside the villa was a decked area, then a couple of tiled steps leading to a a lawned area where our sun loungers were. There was a small coconut mat on the polished step and as I stepped off the deck and onto the mat it slipped from underneath me and I fell to the ground resulting in a dislocated ankle, torn ligaments and a broken leg.

Once the staff realised what had happened they sprang into action and took me to a local clinic for assessment then the nearest hospital for x-rays and to see an orthopaedic surgeon. I felt I received the best treatment available but this was very basic compared to UK standards. The only pain relief I was offered was paracetamol!

We contacted our insurance company to try and get us home as I needed an operation. The communications in Myanmar are unreliable and very expensive. We ended up returning home 3 days later (on our planned return date. During this 3 days the staff couldn’t do enough for us. I had to use a wheelchair (as they hadn’t heard of crutches!) There were steps down to the restaurant. As soon as I got to these steps the staff all rallied round and carried my wheelchair. They were all incredibly helpful (including the manager who even came to the airport with us and helped me onto the plane) and take care of all your needs to their best ability.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CumbrianGlobetrotter
Reviewed 1 March 2012

After travelling 2 weeks in Myanmar we stay 4 days in the Amazing Ngapali Resort.
The rooms, the food, the service was excellent. The staff was extremely kind en very helpfull.
The most friendly people of the world.We enjoyed and we hope we can go back one day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eric A
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We spent over 3 weeks travelling around Myanmar and wanted a place to re-charge our batteries before the very long trip home to North America. The Amazing Resort was lovely, we stayed 4 nights, but don't go there if you haven't seen the rest of the country, because we felt rather isolated and there was really nothing to see or do in the area close to the hotel. For us, it was simply a place to rest up after a very busy trip, and could have been a beach resort almost anywhere.

Be sure to ask for a room on the second floor, in the middle - we were originally assigned a lower unit which looks out to the back of the beach villa in front, in other words, no view at all!

The food was very good (we ate at the hotel exclusively) with one very bad exception. We shared a hamburger which turned out to be tainted, and I was so ill that the hotel manager, Kyaw Swar Maung Maung, personally drove me to a local clinic for treatment. He was most kind and considerate. The clinic, by the way, was very clean and the doctor was good. She plied me with various medications (all steri-sealed from France), but nevertheless, I was ill for 5 days.

The beach was lovely, the open air eating in the hotel was delightful and the staff were most pleasant. If you want to sit in the shade on the beach, you are out of luck - there are thatched umbrellas which don't offer enough shade, and not nearly enough to go around.

Do exchange all your money in Yangon, however, because the airport would not exchange money and the hotel gave a low exchange rate of 710 to US $1.00 (vs. 810K in Yangon).

All in all, it was a lovely place and if I hadn't been so sick, undoubtedly would have enjoyed it much more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, in the middle, otherwise you won't see the sea at all because of the beach bungalows in front.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2012

What a great place to end a travel holiday round Myanmar. Simply can't fault it. The rooms, the food the staff, the service all excellent.
Try the Symphony of Fish for dinner but be sure you order it before hand or they might have run out of lobster if you leave it until dinner itself.
Sorry though of one thing to be aware of. All our other hotels charge in US dollars and we assumed this would be the same so being at the end of the holiday we shorted on local currency. This hotel though charges in local currency and then if you need to pay in dollars gives you a very poor exchange rate (730 to the dollar in February). This can partially be offset by walking into town and changing money at Air Mandalays offices (770 to dollar). However you would be better to stock up with local currency in Yangon before you travel (810 to the dollar). In the context of thing minor though this place is a great experience.

Room Tip: As a preference I would ask for a room near to the reception area just from a convenience point of view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank seebeforeigo
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Amazing Hotel in amazing place !!! Staff very hepfull,clean rooms and amazing view for sea and beach. I will back to Amazing Resort for sure !!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends