I debated whether to give my review two stars, but in the end opted for three. Why? Well, first, the good. This Intercon is at a great location - Alpensia ski resort - and you can glide off the slopes, drop off your skis, and be back at your room in five minutes. They have the usual amenities you'd expect from such a hotel... except a pool.
And here's where some of the negatives start. OK, no pool. Yes, there's a water park 10 minutes away, for 30,000 KW or something ridiculous. But it's still a ten-minute slog through the cold, and 30,000 KW.
Then there's the taxi mafia. In order to go to the nearby Yong Pyong ski resort (probably two km away at most), you have to hire a taxi, which starts charging you from when they get the call. So, a 6,000 KW ride costs you 16,000 KW. No shuttle provided.
Again, these are nickel-dime quibbles. But here's another - lack of English speakers. Or anything other than Korean speakers. Yes, I know I'm in Korea, and I picked up some basic phrases. But for an international chain of this reputation, I'd expect a few relatively fluent speakers on staff. Anything beyond ordering a refill can take a while to translate. Trying to arrange our trip back to Seoul was far more of a hassle than it should have been.
So, be forewarned! If you're staying at Alpensia and skiing Alpensia and don't care about a pool and speak decent Korean, this is a great deal. However, if you want to ski the much better slopes of Yong Pyong, take a swim after, and don't speak Korean, think twice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Pyeongchang Resort Alpensia is located in Pyeongchang County, Gangwon province which is the third largest county in South Korea. It s about 2 hours drive away from Korea s capital Seoul and well connected through public transport. The hotel is part of Alpensia, Korea s premier all-year resort, a purpose built, alpine-style village in the Taebaek Mountain region, only 20 minutes drive away from the east coast of Korea is set in the midst of beautiful, unspoiled nature. World-class facilities for all-year leisure, meetings and incentives make Alpensia the perfect choice for a relaxing weekend away as well as for workshops, team-building activities and product presentations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Ctrip TA, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your InterContinental Alpensia Pyeongchang Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Alpensia Pyeongchang Hotel Pyeongchang-Gun
- InterContinental Alpensia Pyeongchang Resort South Korea/Pyeongchang-Gun