“Paradise!”
Review of Max Wadiya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambalangoda
Max Wadiya
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ambalangoda
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The owners, Ruth and Arthur Max, have created a paradise; the setting of this small, boutique hotel is just gorgeous, and could compete as a romantic idyll in any movie script.
The entire building and grounds are aesthetically furnished and decorated, and no stone has been left unturned to ensure guests’ total enjoyment and relaxation.
The staff were superb ably headed by Ranjan, who ensured that our every request was fulfilled. I have no doubt that the experience would have been vastly different without his input, assistance and presence. He is a great asset.
The meals were varied and delicious, especially as I am a great lover of curry myself. They were always beautifully presented and interesting.
It is no surprise therefore that their guest book is filled with the highest praise and lavish compliments – all richly deserved!
While Sri Lanka will remain for me a place of lush vegetation and greenery, tea plantations and windy roads, I do believe the Max Wadiya will always represent the epitome of luxury and excellence that I was privileged to enjoy.
Highly recommended for a total R and R vacation.

Room Tip: all the rooms face the sea. the hotel is located on the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Paradise. Heaven. Nirvana. When it comes to Max Wadiya, it’s easy to run out of superlatives that haven’t been used up in all the other reviews. We stayed for two weeks and every second of our time there was perfect. Wonderful from the moment we arrived and were greeted with mango juice, inviting staff, including the super friendly dog Ginger (Ginger is so polite and sensitive that I am sure he will leave non-dog lovers alone.) The owners even called from Amsterdam to make sure everything was to our satisfaction (it was). Every meal was a culinary experience. Leave yourself in Ranjan’s hands, and, trust me, you won’t be disappointed. I’ve never seen anything like this level of service and I’ve been to over 70 countries as a journalist and private traveller and stayed in every kind of accommodation imaginable. The staff and the place were so genuine, nothing slick or rehearsed about this hospitality. “The boys” were always there when you needed something, but were never intrusive. The accommodations (we had the blue suite) were just what we wanted, with a sitting group, a small kitchen to keep our beer and white wine cold and our tea hot plus a great bathroom. We loved the antique furniture and being able to dine on our own large veranda overlooking the ocean. (You can hear the roar of crashing ocean waves from bed, so if you’re a light sleeper, bring earplugs as we did.) After our morning swim in the ocean, we found ourselves chatting with friendly Sri Lankan fishermen or kicking a soccer ball around with local children. We’d swim laps in the pool each day (you have to do something to work off all the great food) and then find one coconut drink treat waiting for us at poolside.
Ok. So here I am trying to think of things to say that might be different: 1) My wife is a senior executive who has been extremely stressed and busy for the past two years. I had not seen her succeed in putting her job aside, even on vacation, until we got to Max Wadiya. It took about two minutes for her to say, “What job?” 2) We left for a couple nights to explore other parts of Sri Lanka with the help of the great driver Ranjan found, it was only a matter of hours before we started feeling homesick for Max Wadiya.
There is only one bad thing about staying at Max Wadiya. You will be ruined, spoiled forever, and may never find anything to measure up.

We will be back. Again and again and again.

Thanks!
Doug (This text has been vetted and approved by Eva)

Room Tip: One of the suites for couples, the villa for famlies or groups of friends.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A four hour flight from Dubai, and a 2.5hr drive down the western coast of Sri Lanka is where you'll find Max Wadiya on the beach.
We are a married couple over 40 and were looking for a place to stay for a week with authentic home-cooked Sri Lankan food. A place that was peaceful, but still among the community.
We didn't book through tripadvisor, but went straight to the website to book all-inclusive. Before booking and after booking the email communication was excellent. Ruth, the owner, explained anything we needed to know and arranged airport transport for us. She even called us from Amsterdam in our room to make sure we had settled in OK after we arrived.
Whilst we were there we used the tuc-tuc service many times and most places are within half an hour. We visited the Mask Museum, Galle Fort, the little Tsunami Photo Museum, the Government Souvenir Shop and the Dudley Silva Batik shop. One day we went to Cactus cafe on the coast for lunch. The driver waited while we had a delicious meal. Along the way, the driver was very willing to stop and explain monuments and let us look around. He waited for us on every journey and took us back loaded with our bargain shopping (and booze)! Just ask Ranjan to order you a tuc-tuc at a certain time and he arrives.
It was sad to see the ruins from the tsunami dotted all along the coast, but rather than make you completely miserable it gave you an insight into the people and explained why they are so generous with their time and smiles. We were amazed at how many strangers smiled and said Hello.
Everyone mentions the food prepared and cooked by Ranjan and his team,,, so I shall keep it short. Take some elastic-waisted trousers with you!
We had the tangerine suite and it has everything you need. What I enjoyed the most was being able to make myself a drink in the suite's small kitchen at odd hours of the night whilst I watched videos on my ipad, and my husband carried on sleeping in the four-poster bed with mosquito-netting all around.
I also enjoyed the sound of the real-live train going past a few times a day, hooting to let you know there was life outside the confines of the villa.
We went in October and for the first few nights we had fantastic thunder storms. Coming from Dubai, that rain was a real treat for us. The rest of the week was perfect weather for lounging about in the lovely garden (on the hammocks) or in the marvelous pool, walking on the beach or travelling about in the tuc-tuc.
I keep coming back and editing this review to add more as I remember it, but, wary that you might be bored reading it I shall finish on my personal favourite experience and that was watching the fishermen bring in the early catch at the bottom of the garden on our last morning. I've added a photo of it.
Would we go there again?
Would we recommend it to you?
Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Try to book a suite. They are like granny flats, with a small 'proper' kitchen, and lounge...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SheilaKim
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We found Max Wadiya on Trip Advisor and was awed by the amazing reviews given by all their guests. Surprise surprise that here I am now, giving a piece of my own too! :) Max Wadiya was indeed an amazing getaway for couples- young and old, families, and group of friends. Ranjan and his team of boys(men!) were very helpful, down to earth and kind to us during the entire duration of our stay. They were helpful but did not pry into our privacy which was great! The sea was very rough during our stay but we truly enjoyed the salty pool. The food served was very fresh and tasty. It was close enough to Galle when we wanted to do a little sight seeing. There were some noises coming from the trains--but we wouldn't complain about it cause it is what makes the place what it is! Having some of those Sri Lankan sounds while we're tucked away inside the cosy resort. We would definitely return again the next time we're in Sri Lanka! :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We chose to stay at Max Wadiya because of the amazing reviews and were not disappointed.
The delightful staff led by the incomparable Ranjan made us feel so welcome and thoroughly spoilt. It was as if we were at home enhanced by elements of luxury.
We stayed in the Villa at the beginning of our holiday and chose to return at the end where we experienced the suites. The quality of the bedrooms and bathrooms was high, with all the necessary air conditioning, fans and mosquito protection.
Ranjan and his staff took great pride in the quality and variety of their cuisine. Every meal was carefully prepared and presented and we enjoyed our cookery lesson. The warm salt water pool, Ayurevedic massage, advice and care were truly wonderful. An experience to remember!

Room Tip: The suites provide additional space and privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marie-Suzanne M
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We (4 adults, retirement age ish!) arrived at Max Wadiya after a long, tiring journey and were immediately impressed by the warm welcome whcih we received from Ranjan and his staff. We stayed for 3 nights and were so sorry to leave that we re-booked for the end of our holiday. The rest of Sri Lanka was fantastic - amazing scenery, ancient sites and friendly people but it was really lovely to return to Max Wadiya. It felt like coming home and we were treated like a mixture of family and royalty. One of the highlights of our stay was the cooking lesson from Ranjan. I've come home armed with spices and a cookery book but sadly, I don't think that my efforts will ever match Ranjan's. A great experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne A
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. We stayed at Max Wadiya for a week, where we had the place to ourselves for most of it, and it was such a relaxing week. We lazed in the garden/ by the pool and on the beach. The food for amazing! The staff were excellent. And we felt very safe here. IT was great for the kids as they were so happy just to play on the beach and in the pool. And the beach we had to ourselves. Rajan, the manager, arranged trips for us to the tea plantation, elephant orphanage, turtle sanctury etc.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambalangoda
Aditya
The River House
The River House
#3 of 5 in Balapitiya
Shangri-La's Hambantota Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Max Wadiya? Share your experiences!