“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Max Wadiya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambalangoda
Max Wadiya
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ambalangoda
Navi Mumbai, India
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Max Wadiya was true Paradise in the Sun. We occupied the top floor of the main villa, where the beds were wonderfully comfortable, the AC’s impressively powerful and the balcony’s view over the sea spectacular. The near-private beach, right outside the gate, with the sea’s turquoise waters was a perfect way to relax while lying on the chairs the Wadiya staff graciously carried onto the sand. The pool was warm and relaxing, and Ginger, the Wadiya’s friendly dog, was always happy to lie alongside the chairs snoozing in the hopes of an occasional belly rub.

The staff was kind, helpful and polite (and their English was superb). The food was fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised by the intricate flavours of Sri Lankan cuisine. Ranjan and his team’s cooking was enough to lead my partner and I to request a cooking lesson which boggled our senses with the amount and variety of spices involved in cooking Sri Lankan delicacies. We also sampled their western food one afternoon for lunch -- also delicious.

The location of the Wadiya is fantastic. It is just a five minute ride from the small town, where everything anyone could ever desire is available. It is a fifteen-minute ride to a river cruise (highly recommended); fifteen minutes to beautiful Buddhist temples; and thirty minutes to the old fort city of Galle (great shopping and museums).

Max Wadiya participates in sea turtle conservation and we were fortunate enough to stay while babies hatched. One evening at dusk, we carried the turtles down to the beach and watched as they ambled slowly into the waters to begin their new lives.

I highly recommend Max Wadiya to travellers, honeymooners, romantics, gourmands, lazy beach bums, families with young children, old ladies who play bridge, painters and wanderlusts. One evening as I sat enjoying my cocktail on the balcony, I saw the sun sinking into the horizon. The sky was illuminated in striking blues, oranges, reds and yellows and I felt like I was in a paradisiacal watercolour. An apt description for the entire experience at Max Wadiya—it is hard to believe it is real.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank zachary86

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

When I booked our room for the week, I was of course hesistent to send $$ directly to a foreign bank account. No worries. It was fast (2 days) and Ruth immediately let me know of its arrival. The food was impeccable! I fell in love with Sri Lankan food and learned how a few dishes were made by Ranjan. He managed everything smoothly and the rest of the staff were seamlessly professional. Of the excursions we took from MW, my favorite was the tea plantation with original 1900's British machinery for processing. After our time away, we would come back to our lovely suite and make a cocktail with fresh squeezed juice! Total bliss. The green parakeets would bed down in the coconut palms at dusk, and Ginger the #1 hotel dog sat by our feet. We have no idea how we will top this vacation, so we may just have to come back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather S
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had an amazing time at Max Wadiya! This is not just a boutique hotel -- it is a slice of heaven. A home far away from home. The Wadiya is so welcoming and friendly. It is beautifully decorated with local artisan finds. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and inviting. Hammocks to laze around in under the swaying palm trees. The warm, ocean waves just steps away. The staff is attentive but not hovering -- they aim to please. I fell in LOVE with Ginger -- the Wadiya's mascot. I swear this dog is human! If you aren't a dog lover -- you will be! We enjoyed taking day excursions to check out the local antique shops, sight see in Galle and the surrounding areas. But, nothing felt better than coming back to the Wadiya. I just felt right at home. It was a hard place to leave. You will not be disappointed!! This place is worth the trip!! Great thanks to Ruth, Art, Ginger and all the staff for making it a very memorable vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gretchjs
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Knowing the owners, this is my second time staying here. This place just keeps getting better! More than a hotel or guest house, staying here feels more like I've been given a home on loan for the duration of my stay. Only in this home the food is superb (definitely book full board,) the staff is excellent, and the ocean is crashing right outside my bedroom window. The layout of this place is cleverly done where there are multiple hangout spots, each with its own appeal: the hammocks under the coconut trees, the private verandas viewing the water, the swimming pool, the sunset deck, the beach, and a good few more. The beach is incredible: mostly free of tourists, you'll only see some locals stopping by for a swim as well as the fishermen rowing their boats in after a night out at sea. 5 stars all the way!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Max Wadiya contrived to be the most relaxing, most perfect place to spend a week with the family. Though not exactly accustomed to having impeccable house-staff attend to our every need, it was an intoxicatingly easy habit to acquire. Ranjan made us feel utterly at home - his unperturable manner makes him Max Wadiya's greatest asset (he has great kids too, if you're lucky enough to meet them). His oversight in the kitchen - being a skilled chef is only one of his qualities - made evident a quite extraordinary passion for presenting us with meal after meal of the highest quality and diversity. Trips were arranged with aplomb, ease and always at a price we'd never have managed to negotiate ourselves. The house is beautiful, the gardens impeccable, the pool.. the more I think about it, the more I want be be back there this minute! I've forgotten the rather frequent clatter of trains from the line behind the coast road - in fact they strangely became an attribute, not a distraction, as Max Wadiya sits, an oasis, between the perfect paradise of an empty, palm fringed beach and the bustling reality of Sri Lankan daily life. The mosquitos only seemed to find my blood to their taste - the rest of the family had it relatively easy - and I've known much worse (the lavish mosquito nets above every bed performed faultlessly). A special mention for our new friend Ginger. Marks out of 5? 6+

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Max Wadiya was the first stop on our 9 day holiday in Sri Lanka and a brilliant entry into, for us, a new country. Our plane was late leaving Shanghai so we didn't arrive until about 3:30 in the morning. Despite that, the staff was waiting for us and ready to provide us with food or drink. We were quite happy just to go to bed. When we awoke later that morning, I opened the curtains and truly thought I had arrived in Paradise! Max Wadiya faces the beautiful blue sea and a gentle breeze blows through the palm trees. We were enchanted.
Throughout our three day stay, we were catered to, but not disturbed, as if this was our own personal villa complete with a faithful dog, Ginger. The food was the absolute best we had in Sri Lanka. The villa is lovely, the grounds are lovely, and the staff is brilliant. Too many nice details to mention. We hope to return someday, because it really did feel like our own villa if only for a short time. And I know Ginger misses us!
Ruth, the owner, recommended a driver to us, Amila, who was very good and drove us all over the island.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the downstairs villa, the Tangerine Room, I think it is called.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

It would be as much misnomer to call Max Wadiya a B&B as it would be to call it a resort. It is a small, high quality, high-service guest house. You ought to book for full board (3 meals/day) even if you know you'll be missing lunch occasionally because, frankly, the food is that good. The suites are lovely as well as practical: water pressure is excellent, the A/C worked reasonably well (though it was really, really hot outside), the internet connection was reliable and faster than we've experienced at lot more fancier places. They also supply electric adapters as Sri Lankan outlets are different from European or British 200 volt affairs.

The grounds are kept immaculate. The salt water swimming pool is spotlessly clean, as is the rest of the place. There are hammocks for chilling, and the beach about 30 feet from your room. A lot has been written in these reviews about the incredible service provided by the manager, Ranjan. He and his staff treated us as if we were the only and most important guests ever to stay over. We had our meals either at a gazebo overlooking the ocean, or on the veranda of our room.

Room Tip: We were only two but the 'family' suites we saw were amazing
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambalangoda
Aditya
Shangri-La's Hambantota Resort & Spa
Six Degrees North
Six Degrees North
#3 of 21 in Ambalangoda

Been to Max Wadiya? Share your experiences!