“DON'T BE FOOLED. LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING.”

GOOD STORY (Neptune Resort)
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Weligama
“DON'T BE FOOLED. LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

Ok. This place is picture perfect. Manicured gardens. Best beginner surf spot straight out the front. Also fun waves for experienced surfers. The rooms are clean & fresh. The bungalows again ... Picture perfect. BUT. do yourself a favour and read EVERY review before staying here ( including those in ALL the 'more reviews tabs ) We were actually stoked for the first 2 days. Lovely room, met some lovely people, fun surfing. Must say though we could not believe why Neptune was close to empty and next door was packed. A new friend had a good sum money and travellers cheques stolen out of his room. We know this can happen anywhere but he did have it hidden and the management did stress they had a one key policy. He was leaving the key with the manager while he was surfing when the incident happened. Next was a surfboard hire incident with another couple. Management claimed a fin was missing from the surf board they had returned however being a witness to this incident, there was definitely no fins missing when the board was returned . We have now discovered this incident in another review. If they had read the reviews in the 'more reviews' tab they could have realised that this was a scam. They paid money to have the board repaired. I know it this may not seem much but it made us take notice of the general vibe of the place. We found Neptune to be deceiving. The management were tricky. Nice enough on the outside but something was not quite right. We left after 4 days. We had paid upfront for seven. This was the only place in Sri Lanka in which we felt like we could get ripped off. One thing I must mention is that when we were traveling around, & a local would ask us where we stayed, when we mentioned Neptune Weligama they would ALWAYS have something negative to say. 'Very bad man' was the most common. This place was known to locals from Galle to Tissa. Don't be fooled. Stay at ANY other place in Weligama. We stayed in Sri Lanka for one month. When people at home ask us 'what was the highlight?' Without hesitation the answer is 'The people'. Always smiling and welcoming. I cannot wait to return. But we will never return to Neptune Weligama

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank ANDYJULIELESLIE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

If the room didn't cost $40 a night I'd proabably give the place 3 stars.. Let me explain. The room didn't have AC which is fine for a budget beach bungalow, also the fan wasn't above the bed so it was completely useless. We tried to move the bed but had to lose mosquito net in the process.
The staff was friendly, the food was terrible and expensive. I'm no culinary expert but the blood in my chicken (which was also pink) had me eating white rice for dinner.
Finally the worst part was the construction next door. They stopped at 11pm and started at 7am. Stopping at 11pm was no problem for us as we go to sleep late, just be aware its loud until then.
Neptune was our least favorite hotel in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: Look out the window when you check the room. Check if you are facing the construction.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike M
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Me and my wife spent one week at the Neptune Resort, since we prefer less crowded places to relax an enjoy our holidays. Earlier we were staying at a hotel in Colombo and decided to go to the south to see more of Sri Lankas lovely beaches. In the Neptune Resort, we found what we searched for. The bungalow rooms are furnished with beautiful canopy beds, compared to several places, we must say that the bathrooms were very clean. If we wanted to get the rooms cleaned we had to inform the front officer and got it done immediately. The food, which we enjoyed at the beach restaurant with a breathtaking sea view was delicious and prepared by the owner itself. The hotel staff maintains the garden and beach very well. We've read the negative comments posted by others and can not believe that they were referring to the same place. The rates are acceptable and the menu offers a big choice. We can only recommend this place. We'll be back soon again with our family and friends. Thank you Yamuna for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the bungalows with sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Relaxed verblijf aan het strand, goede kamers, heel leuke en vriendelijke staf, manager Asanka,Mala ,the Cook and miss Yamuna thanks to make our 5 days
so nice.
Moreover we like to thank the local fisherman (rightside beach) for their
patience to help us out with their habits etc. Do not forget them with a sigaret.

For the Cook is nothing to much to meet your wishes.

If you want to understand Sri Lanka people talk to and with the staff.

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

First of all I'd like to make it clear that I've stayed here before back in February 2011 so I'm reviewing this for the second time for my recent stay in March 2012.

I must admit feeling a little worried that the place had changed after reading many of the reviews on here. But no, our experience was still great!

The setting is right on the beach, which is a quiet beach that you have to yourself most of the day, and staff at the hotel make sure the beach is clean in the morning.

Breakfast is fruit, eggs and tea and Dinner is whatever you like! At the start of the stay we were asked what we could eat and how spicy we could eat. So if you do have a special requirement they will do it for you. One day we felt like a fish curry and they made it so you can request things you like under the half board - wonderful!

We had the opposite problem to many of the reviewers on here in that our deposit bounced and wasn't paid. They were very good about this. Another point in their favour is waiting ages at the airport for us despite a lengthy flight delay and getting through customs

One thing to keep in mind is that there is only one key for the rooms (which you have) so if you go out for the day you'll need to hand this in or the cleaner cannot clean it without the keys. They are also building a massive Marriott next door so it is possible that the beach might not be so quiet in the future.

I was glad to find Neptune Resort still as good as ever!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
mallorca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Had the unfortunate experience of staying here for three nights with my family. I would have changed to the Samaru guest house next door but I was made to pay all nights up front. The room was ok, but sparse. It was not cleaned during our 3 night stay and expensive. The owner and family were the most unfriendly Sri Lankans we came across on our 3 week tour. They have no interest in hospitality but only dollars. The food was poor, the breakfast minimal and the atmosphere at the guesthouse is awful. Only 2 out of 12 rooms were occupied during our high season stay ...that says it all.....there are 2 other far more friendly places just next door ....go there instead!!!! The Neptune is an awful place!

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank ojmac
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My experience was that the management of the Neptune Inn are dishonest & not professional.

I had made a reservation on the hotel's website & paid an $82 USD deposit. The reservation was processed by a travel agency & they sent me a confirmation, stating that the deposit had been received. However, when I arrived, the woman at the hotel said that they had never received the $82 from the travel agency so she demanded that I pay it again to the hotel. I refused to do this. I emailed the travel agency & learned that the hotel had been paid. It took several days before this matter was resolved & the management's attitude was strange & very unhelpful; at one point, telling me that (I quote) 'This is not my problem'. I am convinced that they were trying to rip me off for the extra money.

Also, the voucher quoted the outstanding balance I owed in USD & when the hotel converted this figure to rupees, they inflated it by approximately $50 USD (my fault for not checking).

My room were pretty average & it was only cleaned once in 7 days. The restaurant food is not bad but overpriced & the service abysmally slow.

Weligama is a nice, simple, relatively unspoiled beach resort, especially for surfers. If you want to have relaxed, hassle-free time, my recommendation is: STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank tm8405
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weligama
We Escape
#1 of 12 in Weligama
Esprit d'Ici Hotel
Esprit d'Ici Hotel
#1 of 9 in Mirissa

Been to GOOD STORY (Neptune Resort)? Share your experiences!