“Welcoming staff, nice dives”

Weligama Bay Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer PADI Scuba Diving courses from Open Water Diver to Dive master. Or try Discover Scuba Diving if you never dived before. Certified trainers of SCUBA & PADI Diving based in Weligama from October to April and in Trincomalee from May to October , Sri Lanka. In Weligama we Near Bay Beach Weligama.
London, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Welcoming staff, nice dives”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were there in May at the end of the season, but still enjoyed 3 nice dives with this centre. Very easy going staff, with everything done for you. You try on the kit, then walk 5 mins to the beach, where the boat is ready, with your kit transported down there by tuk tuk all ready on the boat for you. Our dive guide (Hip) was friendly and helpful, I mentioned I like seeing nudibranches before the second dive and he duly pointed out three for me, can't complain about that! Corals were destroyed by the tsunami and so bear this in mind. Its heart warming to see that there are small soft corals growing back (about 5cm big), plenty of algae on the rocks, and a surprising amount of fish. Trigger fish, a few different types of eels, barracuda, turtles, hump headed parrot fish to name a few. The visibility was better on the first dive (25m), but deteriorated to 15m for the second dive, and the surge takes a bit of getting used to. This is a very nice, simple dive centre, very laid back and relaxing. Well priced for dive and kit hire, ideal if you want to fit 2 dives into the morning before going surfing in the afternoon.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank TheSunToucher

Gémozac, Poitou-Charentes, France
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Friendly dive shop”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Despite beginning of May not being the best time of year for diving (bad vis, cloudy weather and strong surge) we enjoyed our 4 dives. The staff is very welcoming and everything is taken care of. It was perfectly comfortable. Tea, snacks, and even lunch if you want. Just a 15' tuk-tuk ride from the beautiful Mirissa beach where we were staying. A nice experience, good gear and fair price.

Visited May 2014
Guangzhou, China
“Who is responsible for coral abrasions?”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was interested in snorkelling as we were staying in Mirissa. Indeed the coral reefs in Weligama are famous and beautiful. Unfortunately, I hurt myself from the strength of the waves and I ended up with a couple of lesions on my chest, legs and arms. On the way back to the office, as I was bleeding, I couldn't decide whether my resentfulness diverted my attention to all the garbage on the beach. I know that I was responsible for myself in the water but I would have liked to be more informed by my guide on how to prevent injury and respect coral reefs. I felt he was dismissive about my condition and was only interested in soliciting other services such as safaris. What I really wanted was some direction as to how to deal with coral abrasions as I know that coral cuts might hinder healing with the possibility of infection. More than my unfortunate situation, I would expect that those who deal in diving culture would have more respect for waste disposal in the aquatic environment.

Visited April 2014
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“First time snorkeling, won't be the last!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This was my first time snorkeling and Nihar was patient with me. He waited for me to to regulate my breathing and guided me to avoid scratching myself on the corals. He served as our guide and I was guided to see some beautiful corals and fish. The beauty will not disappoint! Snorkel lets should be forewarned when the tide is high, avoid the corals!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank schnugchi
Hasselt, Belgium
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Weligama bay diving center”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My girlfriend and I had a realy good experience with this dive center. We both have a PADI open water. But because it had been almost a year since our last dive, we got a free refresh course. After that we went for a 2 tank dive. The divespots were nearby. The group was very small. And there was plenty sealife. The dive center is very professional and also has a nice vibe. After the dives we also got a free delicious local lunch and plenty of fruit and thee inbetween the dives.

Visited March 2014