Weligama Bay Resort
Hotels.com
Lion's Rest(Weligama)
Latheena Resort(Weligama)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgarden villacutty sarkhuge hotelsri lankaweligama bayfamily suitethe beach is greatswimming poolmain buildingmarriott hotelnice pooltuk tukhuge bathroomhotel staffgreat surfingstayed for nightsbig smile
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed in the hotel for almost 2 weeks and I must say that we had excellent time! It was not our first visit to Sri Lanka but contrary to our first visit 8 years ago this time we came with our 2 years old son so we required higher standards than in the past. The hotel rooms are spacious and very luxury, especially the bathroom. The room service was also excellent, respecting times when our son was sleeping in the room so they understood to be quiet around. I do not understand complaints to the restaurant’s kitchen in some reviews as I am convinced that the food is EXCELLENT! Also the staff was always so nice to prepare also off the menu dishes for our son… The construction was not loud during our stay and it didn’t bother us at all. We also tried surfing several times and it was great. The whole place was perfect for our son as the pool has also kid’s small pool too. The beach is practically deserted which is nice. I definitely recommend this place, the quality is very high. After our stay in Weligama we travelled around the island and when I compare this resort to other sites claiming similar level, Weligama Bay definitely beats them all. I am definitely planning to come back! Thank you for our wonderful holiday!!! Also few tips: definitely try the aloe vera massage - aloe vera grows in the resort so they use it fresh!

Room Tip: We stayed in the hotel building, not in the villa - the terrace is amazing - with the view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2013

For the $250 dollars paid per night I was highly disappointed for more than one reason:
First the noise, the construction site next door meant having to wake up to noise of machines.
There were 2 dead cockroaches in the room!
Breakfast was good but i was disappointed to see that they charged me extra for the coffee! Small detail but certainly leaves a bad impression.
I didn't appreciated having to explain to the front desk staff that I was a guest at the hotel every time I walked in from the outside!

The good things:
The rooms were tastefully decorated and the bathroom was good.
The property is big, has a swimming pool and is water front.

Over rated and over priced; look elsewhere if you don't want to be waken up to the noise of construction.

Room Tip: Wait until 2015 when the construction next door is finished.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Katerina P, Manager at Weligama Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear customer,
thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and your stay in our property.
Unfortunately the construction close to our hotel has nothing to do with our property, as already explained, it is Srilankan Government activity to improve the future Tourism potential in our area, as per official information they will open in 2013. Working hours every day from 8.00 am until 17.30 pm.
Srilanka is a tropical country, where you find insects, we are every day applying to the rooms anti-mosquito spray and tablets to avoid any problems.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Expensive, bad quality of food, unceremonious attitude from staff and manager. Service is awfull. We were robbed by staff when we slept after airplane. Manager is angry woman, which accused us , that we allow to stay our friends for evening drink in hotel restaurant. Also she imagined, that we allow to our friends to stay for the night. She is totally crazy! Sandy fly are everywere and bite very painfully and no one told us about it. You can't sit on the sand, because you will have 10-15 bites, which very itchy a week!! But for good, its near surf spot, very nice for surfing if you are begginer.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dmitry_Osmerkin

Dear customer,
thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and your stay in our property.
Regarding your comments, let me explain you following:
- you have informed our staff you lost 300 USD, which you did not put to the hotel safe, I have talked to you personally, asked my staff and offered you to call local police to solve the problem, which you did not agreed with and you did not wanted to solve this case.
Regarding your friends stay here in our property, as we are small property, we are looking after every client to avoid problems. After you informed us about the money robbery from your room and after I have seen your friends every day coming to your room and using all facilities, I have been kindly asking not to allow the people to enter your room, only in public area to prevent such a situation, again you did not agree with me and you were trying to argue with me.
Srilanka is a tropical country with a lot of insects, which for the European people is unfortunately unacceptable, but is it only nature.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

Poor first impressions. 2 mins prior to arriving we had seen 2 'superior' rooms were available online but decided to book at reception when we arrived. However the staff tried to convince us only the most expensive rooms were available. The wifi was so poor that we could not even go online to show them the price we had seen!! The wifi was very poor throughout our stay. After much perseverance they agreed to the rate we had seen online......providing us with a room at a 'discounted' rate with no fan, directly beside a construction sight!rooms were nice, dinner at the resturant was very nice, breakfast was very very poor. I can't review the spa as I booked a massage but the therapist went home before my appointment. I would not recommend this hotel, poor value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 20 January 2013

A good place to surf and have diner near the beach; The rooms are very nice and the staff at the lobby very friendly. a good restaurant with all types of food and just near the beach. A nice small swimming pool.
Just nearby, they build a Marriotts, so it can be noisy and we hope it wont affect this hotel. you can rent surf and boards, but the material is not in a good shape.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family