“Great PADI certification, great price”

Nautilus Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy your adventure in Corn Island diving with us…” Recent reforms,Nice ambiance, 10 years of experience on the island and of course Great Dives!! Dive center located in the Caribbean Sea, Big Corn Island (Nicaragua). We make PADI Courses (Discover Scuba Diving, Open Water Diver, Advanced OWD, Rescue Diver, Divemaster, Specialty Diver), Fun Dives in Coral Reefs and Blowing Rocks, Night Dives and Scuba Review. We have Snorkeling. Tours in a glass bottom boat and a Library with Book Exchange.
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We chose Nautilus to get our PADI Open Water Diver certification and had a great time. Though the weather didn't always cooperate, Sandi (our instructor) was patient and helped us learn all of the skills necessary to ensure we were confident in our ability to handle ourselves under water. The equipment was adequate and the support staff super helpful (two guys always accompany you on the dives to carry equipment, etc). And of course, the underwater experience was spectacular - we saw more reef and wildlife than we'd ever seen snorkeling in the past. Great choice if you're looking for an affordable (though rustic) way to get certified.

3  Thank Maryruth P

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was the only one diving with Chema. There were 2 other people on the boat who carried the tanks, my equipment and and helped me get on the small boat. His equipment was old, but very well-maintained. He was an excellent divemaster. His choice of weight for my weightbelt was precise. He kept his eyes on me constantly when we descended, reminding me to clear often and to let the air out of my BC. When we were diving at 40 feet, he looked at me once every minute and was always within my sight. He asked me 4-5x what my air was. The experience was similar to that of diving in Grenada or Dominica. I believe his low ratings are written by divers who only have experience with modern dive shops at more touristy islands known for their diving. I would dive with him again.

5  Thank Mike00154964
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I went with a group of 4 adults and 5 children ages ranging from 17 to 7. The owner Chema seems to have a split personality mostly explosive one. Once we arrived at the panga we realized that there weren't enough life preservers. We decided to go ahead without them(poor choice). Water was extremely choppy. They had promised a glass bottom panga which was a joke. When we arrived at our first spot we realized that it would be impossible to snorkel because the waters were extremely choppy and without any life preservers we felt in danger. We told the person who drove us out there to go back because we were not enjoying ourselves. Only 40 minutes had passed. When we arrived back we spoke to the owner and he got very defensive and started yelling and saying that we were trying to blame him for the bad experience. He did not want to accept the fact that we felt unsafe because of the lack of equipment. I actually felt threatened by Chema. I highly DO NOT recommend this place. There are many more places where the people are exteemely nice and will do it for a third of the price. Besides this horrible experience. I loved corn island and would love to go back.

6  Thank Petelola
Reviewed 25 March 2013

On the way to the Blowing Rock dive site we were not given a safety briefing and I also realised there was no O2 on board!! I made the decision to still do the dive - this is not a decision I am proud of and is a very foolish choice. If something went wrong we would be utterly screwed and I doubt that the dive centre shop had O2 either. Advice: If a dive centre does not have O2 don't dive with them!
I have 300+ dives and my own computer and was with my experienced buddy so the fact that the guide was bad was not such as issue for me, however I feel very uncomfortable knowing that less experienced divers are going out with him. He is a lovely man, but he was off in his own world, not paying attention to the group but off taking photos of eels in holes. He pushed the boundaries of our no deco limits AND our air which was unnecessary and didn't allow any room for error. The kit is poor, and old.
The good? It is the only dive centre on Big Corn Island and it is much quicker to dive Blowing Rock dive site from Big Corn than Little Corn, and Blowing Rock is one of the best dive sites I have been to.... BUT it is dangerous to dive with this centre and is a good dive site worth your life??

6  Thank Ellie T
Reviewed 10 February 2013

bad choice.... very bad equipment, very unexpeienced staff, very tempered boss. the boss thinks hie equipment is in a perfect state , when Istarted working there the first thing I did was checking all the equipment together with the divemaster in training. he was the 1 that pointed the problem out before I started working. all the regulators had a problem to a life threatning situation. we brought the regs to the boss and told him very friendly to repear the regs. he went mad and said they were ok and he puts them back in the store and went back to his bed..... I packed my bag and left and never worked there..... this is from a pro point of view THE WORST DIVE SHOP EVER in my now 20 year diving traveling....

6  Thank djabba b