“Far and away best value the most exotic and excellent get away experience we have ever found.”
Review of Sea Star Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Big Corn Island
Sea Star Spa
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Words cannot fully give the service, rooms, beach, ocean justice. This is the kind of place you could put up with terrible service because of its location BUT, the service is awesome. They are patient, attentive, and invested in your positive relaxed vacation. The manager made us local style lobster, it was amazing! It has all the amenities you would hope for in a get away with a uniquely personal touch. I almost didn't want to post here to keep this gem small and private. They are about 3/4 of the way finished with other minor additions but we were told those would be completed soon. We stayed longer then we planned just because it was so great and are already thinking about when we can come again. I just want to end with the fact that the staff were really excellent. I know I have stated this above but they deserve substantial praise.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Sea Star Spa

Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights in April 2013 and were so happy we chose to stay at the Seastar. The staff is unbelievably accommodating and they're just great people to be around. The rooms are enormous with satellite tv, hot showers, coffee makers, sink, and mini fridge. There is AC but the breeze is so good on this side of the island you don't really need it.

Every morning when you turn on the service light one of the awesome workers will bring you a plate of fresh fruit (likely picked on their walk to work) and a green coconut with a straw. Then you order the hot breakfast and if you give them notice you can order a traditional Nicaraguan breakfast. Either way it's delicious. Every morning we just ate looking out over the private beach with the sounds of waves crashing.

The staff also does a great job of getting the best cab drivers on the island. They were amazingly friendly (ask for a tour from Fernando), trustworthy, and just good people. A big thank you to Karl, Kassie, Harley, and Darcie for a wonderful experience.

There is some construction going on which you pass on the way to your room. You don't even notice it once you're in your room and it didn't bother us in the least.

My advice to future visitor to the sea star is to book well in advance because this place is going get more and more popular with visitors to the island.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Sea Star is truly a special place. I feel so lucky to have been able to go there, to meet Darcie and to meet the wonderful people who work with her. The place itself is beautiful, comfortable, welcoming. It's on the breezy side of the island, so swimming is a challenge, but the view is incomparable and it is so easy to get over to the other side. We, too, had a rundown for lunch. The whole island was a joy to experience.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms....you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This had to be one of the greatest vacation experiences we have ever had and it’s mostly due to the staff at Sea Star Spa. It is refreshing to know that there is still hospitality in the hospitality business. The facility is perfect, clean, quiet and located on a beautiful stretch of beach. Its remoteness is part of its charm however there are a couple of restaurants that are within walking distance. Miss Darcy, Kessey, Karel and Devorn all wonderful hosts. Karel and Kessey were extremely accommodating serving a delicious breakfast, arranging taxis and suggesting restaurants. They even will make you a delicious dinner is you provide the food; Devron is a great cook and mixes up a mean Run Down soup, with or without the pig tail. The opportunity to meet such great people is worth the trip itself. If you are lucky enough to stay there you may even get a visit from the three little girls across the street that have a terrible crush on Kessey. The attitude of the Sea Star Spa is emblematic of the island, low key, polite and very, very friendly.
Thank you for a wonderful vacation and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Mike & Joanne

Scituate MA

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 1longstrangetrip
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We loved our time at the Sea Spa and on Corn Island. Darcie, the owner, and all the staff did everything they could to make our visit fantastic. The guys on the staff made a huge pot of rundown for lunch one day and it was a highlight of our trip. Don't miss sampling that and don't miss the weekend baseball games! The sound of the surf will lull you to sleep every night and you'll get up to a wonderful breakfast every morning.

Room Tip: The view is better from the balcony and you have complete privacy too.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 98,383
Reviewed 21 February 2013

YOu are right on the water so it is amazing. This area of beach though is rough, its not the swimming location. The staff are super friendly and attentive. It is quiet and safe. Comfy king size bed, yummy filling breakfast. Very romantic. Wifi didn't work and the showers were cold water. You are a bit isolated too, but taxis are easy to come by and cheap.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank corey l
Reviewed 1 February 2013

My wife and I were in Nicaragua on honeymoon, which we capped off in the Corn Islands. Upon reading the reviews of Sea Star Spa, it struck me as a great place to spend our honeymoon, and the owner was quick to confirm availability, which started on a positive note.

I have to say that when we first arrived, I was actually a little disappointed, and felt that I had been a little misled. If you are going to stay here, there are a couple of things to be aware of:

The four main rooms are finished, but the rest of the area is essentially under construction. There are obviously big plans for a pool, with a floating bar, etc, but the first impression on is that it is still a work in progress and will continue to be so for awhile. It feels like walking through a construction site.

There is no spa facility in Sea Star Spa, despite the name, and the suggestion and weblink to "the spa" on the official website. It would have been really great if the owner had been up front about this in communication, as I had said we were on honeymoon and little things go a long way towards managing expectations, which were reasonably high for USD$100 a night in Nica. As a comparison, you can get a room at Hotel Contempo in Managua (admittedly on the mainland) for the price and that really is a wonderful place to stay....

The fridge is our room had a weird stain (from a sticker?) that created the impression that attention to detail was rather lacking. Again, not a deal breaker and probably would come off with an organic solvent, but it didn't help create the right impression for what I had in mind.

The staff are all excellent - helpful, friendly, and upbeat, and we really enjoyed our time on the Island. We checked out a couple of other places, and were happy with our decision to stay in the end (Corn island is a pretty basic place after all), but the whole experience would have been so much better if it expectations had been managed in a more professional way.

It is still one of the nicer placer on the island with a great view of the sea in the morning, so it is recommended, but caveat emptor. It feels like it needs a little more attention to the finishing touches, and the owner should be more honest about what your getting which she communicates with you.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms have a nicer view. Go to Arenas beach during the day if you want to swim.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
ladyseastar, Owner at Sea Star Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

I am truly sorry that you feel that you were mislead. I am doing my best to be diligent in informing everyone that although the pool and spa are still under construction, the suites are completed, and the construction will not affect the serenity of your stay.
I did trace all of our emails to see if I did not include this comment in our correspondence and I did miss stating this, I am sorry, misleading certainly was not my intention. I was receiving a massive increase in volume of emails at this time for Christmas requests and bookings and had to turn down many requests as I was fully booked. Not an excuse, just what happened.
To prevent this from being missed in the future, I have included it in the FAQ sheet that I send you and each request upon inquiry.
I have advertisements in magazines that all stay "pool and spa opening soon". Also, my website is undergoing a lift and it stays the same "pool and spa opening soon".

As for the fridge, it was the horrible department store sticker. The stickers came off the other 3 fridges with medium effort; but, we have tried many solvents on this one with failure. When I insisted it must come off, someone unfortunately tried scratching it off. The stain you saw is actually rust from the ever apparent sea spray. I returned from Canada on January 24th, with a can of white appliance paint and decided that it would not suffice either. I ordered a new fridge and it is arriving on the boat next week finally. I agree with you about details. They are very important to me and I try to cover as many as I can during the major construction phases. Dealing with the affects of salt spray is a new science for me coming from the Canadian prairies and it keeps me in a steep learning curve. Feedback is great; so, the rest of my staff can appreciate my insistence on details.

You ask why I included "Spa" in the name before it being opened. It is very difficult to change the name of a business once it has been established, so I had to go with it. My business will be a Day Spa open to anyone on the island, local or tourist from 10am - 7pm, after which it is for guests only who want the full spa experience and stay in one of the four spa suites. I finished the suites first; so, I could begin earning an income and provide employment for my wonderful staff sooner rather than waiting until the whole project was complete. The $100/night per couple is my "construction rate" and once the pool/spa is complete; the suites will be weekly vacation rentals at a higher price. We do have 2 massage therapists that will offer massage in your room or on your balcony, I hope this was mentioned to you.

Thank you for recommending Sea Star Spa despite your concerns, you can obviously see the beauty of the private beach location and the luxury suites and most importantly the staff. I do hope that you will come back again when everything is complete and we can offer you a fabulous relaxing vacation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Corn Island
#1 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
#2 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Sea Star Spa? Share your experiences!