“Rustic but quaint place to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paraiso Beach Hotel

Paraiso Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“Rustic but quaint place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We only stayed here one night, but the location was really great - right on the beach. You had to walk only a few short steps to get to the water, though the beach was a little rocky. The staff are really helpful and the food at the restaurant is relatively decent for such a small island. The cabins are a little on the rustic side, though they were clean. There was also no pool which was a bit of a downside for us. The price, however, compared to other nicer locations on Big Corn was a little high.

Room Tip: You'll enjoy this place more if you're prepared for the camp-like feeling
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I just got back from a short visit to Corn Island and stayed at Paraiso. The cab was at the airport waiting for me when I walked out with my bags and loaded them for my letting me stay dry from the brief rain shower that was passing through. I don't remember checking in because the front desk service was awesome and they were ready from my arrival.

The room was very pleasant and the bed was super. I found it unique to have my bath towel on the bed folded like a flower instead if sitting on a shelf in the washroom. Nice surprise.

The restaurant staff was awesome. My coffee cup was never empty and the coffee was smooth and rich (I am a coffee crazed person so I could right a whole paragraph comparing coffee experiences). The food was great tasting and fast out of the kitchen. Oh, did I say the staff was awesome????

My only small complaint was the landscaping has a great a beach resort feel but that means that there was a little too much sand around when finds its way into the hotel room. I am sure the rain showers that are part of this season didn't help that experience.

If Mike is on-site when you arrive, make sure he takes you on a snorkeling trip. Well worth it but make sure you have sun screen, if not, I left mine there for you :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
San Juan la Laguna, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I recommend staying here for the clean and comfy rooms, a very good restauant, and their willingness to do what they can to create a snorkel trip or make life easier for their guests. Mike, Nadesksa and Imaura gave excellent service.

The cananas are well constructed. My room was Nr. 7 and had a very comfy queen bed and air conditioning, private bath. The water in the rooms is potable.

I ate at most meals in the Paraiso restaurant yet visited a couple in town. My experience was that fisherman's Cave was absolutely awful, and Mari Janet's restaurant-in-her-home was just great! The meals I had at the hotel were very good and well presented, I decided to eat there most every meal.

I found Mike (1 of the 2 owners) to be a service-oriented and fun guy. He has lot of experience and very much enjoys leading snorkel trips around both islands and Several of us guests were treated to a great day of snorkeling and a party on Little Corn afterwards for about $50.
I lived on Little Corn Island for a night then returned to Paraiso before flying out the next morning.
There is internet at the horel and they have a back-generator for those times when the municipal power goes off for a long time.

In a place where (in the off-season at least) boats/ships alter their schedules and restaurants and hotels close unexpectedly for various reasons...it sure was nice to have the stable, service-oriented Paraiso Beach Hotel my base.

Room Tip: There are no badly placed cabañas.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Superior, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

When we had a bad experience at another resort on Corn Island, we bailed out and got lucky that there was vacancy here. Even though we checked in late in the morning, they still made breakfast for us. Yippee! We were saved. At least, that's how we felt upon arriving. Our cabana was very spacious, clean and simple. If you're looking for for 5-star luxury, this is not the place, but for us it was perfect and all we needed and the price was great.

The property consists of individual cabanas with as many as three attached rooms, but I saw others with fewer spread over a large grassy lot with tons of beautiful tropical foliage throughout. In the center is the restaurant which is a very large cabana and is open air like most everything in Corn Island. To the side is a small sitting area with lots of books and games. The main dining area is centered around the bar. In the front of the property is the main office with a snorkeling rental shop where you can arrange for various tours and trips, or you can simply take the snorkeling gear to Shipwreck beach right in front and snorkel. As the name suggests, there are two wrecked boats off shore that attract fish. the water was very calm during our visit and mostly shallow and safe for swimming. Just watch out for the rocks on the bottom in places. Next to the main office is a residence where Tom and his wife-the owners, live.

The property is within a short bicycle ride or manageable walk from the downtown area, but is far enough away to not have too much traffic.Still, it is in a residential community so there are opportunities to meet and talk to the locals. In fact, the beach area is used more by the residents than by visitors which I found refreshing.

The food was plentiful and great. In fact, we never felt the need to venture off to eat anywhere else during our stay. Breakfast consisted of traditional Nica fair of gallopinto with tostones or eggs and french toast. The coffee was plentiful and good. Lunch and dinner consisted of some great seafood dishes, broquettes, or steak. One local dish that I had never tried was rondon - a seafood stew made with coconut milk. Deneska had mentioned that we should try it, but it was not made in their restaurant, so she ordered it and picked it up and brought it to us!

During our stay, Deneska helped us arrange a snorkeling tour to Little corn Island. I highly recommend it as the coral reef is in great shape and sea life is abundant and varied. We saw large manta rays and countless nurse sharks. Sadly, the reef around Big Corn Island has sustained much damage from a hurricane a few years back and is not in good shape.

Overall we found the service to be warm, friendly and accommodating. Deneska was always cheerful and helpful and we really enjoyed getting to know Tom and listening to his story about how he came to own and run this resort. His story is one of leaving the fast-paced city and high-pressure career to slow way down to enjoy life more. I mention this because Paraiso Beach hotel and all of the staff exude this spirit of slowing down to enjoy life and embodies the concept of "chilling out". We certainly did and can't wait to come back for our next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank riosalsero
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

When we arrived the owner was friendly and helpful, the receptionist too and the lady at the bar was very nice and chatty. The other waitress was surly to say the least, told us we couldn't have coffee after dinner and what we could smell was the coffee she was preparing for the following day's breakfast - which is strange, as the day we left, despite the fact that they knew we were leaving early, she said 'no coffee' (no apology again) as she'd only just put it on and it would be another half an hour and I believe breakfast was supposed to be served from 6.00am. So left without our 'inclusive' breakfast. We did have one cockroach on the table, but I expect such things in a tropical location. However, this may not have been there had the dirty table cloths not been left on the table for days. The other thing regarding hygiene was that not only were the hotel's dogs allowed to roam the site, leaving 'presents' on the grass for children walking barefoot to the beach and people returning to cabanas after dark, but they lingered around guests' tables while we were eating and I saw at least one go into the kitchen. Some of this could be the reason that I had an upset stomach shortly after our stay and since met a girl at the airport with similar symptoms who had been to a friend's wedding, where the bride spent her reception in bed due to the same illness. This may well be a coincidence, but they had stayed there too. The room's windows didn't fit and all around were gaps big enough for insects to get in, there was a dodgy light fitting, which we did complain about and were, eventually, offered a change of room, but only as we were waiting for the taxi to take us out for our meal (hours after our complaint). Two tiles missing in the bathroom - just scruffy. We've stayed in some dives, but you should get what you pay for, and there were just too many things to overlook. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't recommend this place until they get their acts together.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Caroline S
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Solid place. Cleaners could do with closing the door when they clean so all the Mosquitos don't get in.

The restaurant was BRILLIANT. The food was delicious and well priced. I later stayed at Casa Canada which is meant to be Corn Islands only 4* hotel but the food at Paraiso is outstanding in comparison. It would be a great restaurant anywhere, not just the Corn Islands.

If you don't stay here, at least visit the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

There are some downsides, like the mosquitoes (bring your mosquito net AND your bug spray!!), the quite standoffish waitresses at the restaurant. However, the restaurant offers quite a large choice of dishes, the food is good, pricey, but then the island is pricey too. The beach is OK, and the standards in terms of cleanliness and pollution are clearly not comparable in Europe, the US and Nicaragua, but that's still pretty acceptable. Finally the whole cabana thing is quite nice, you feel quite independent, and the secretary is so charmingly smiling that it makes for a pleasurable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Hotel Morgan
Hotel Morgan
#7 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Paraiso Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!