“Near perfect island experience”

Paraiso Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Near perfect island experience”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly situated on the island. You can hang out at their beach under shade, snorkel easily to 3 ship wrecks and walk to the small village. Their restaurant has great meals and is open until 10:00 pm for that late night drink or dessert. The decor is beach-style and appropriate for the location. Big Corn Island is not Cancun but will be found some day and then you can expect better internet and other first world requirements. Now is the time to go before it it spoiled. The owners try and succeed in creating a wonderful island experience.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EddieYaYG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I got married at Hotel Paraiso back in July and it was such an incredible experience! I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nicaragua from 2006-2008 and the two of us first stayed at Paraiso on my first return trip to the country in January of 2012. It was my third trip to Big Corn Island but my first time staying at the hotel and we fell in love with the place.

We got engaged in July 2013 and started the overwhelming task of planning our wedding that fall. Our initial idea of having a 150-person wedding here in Sacramento just didn't fit our budget or our personalities and, like many couples, we toyed with the idea of a destination wedding. Hotel Paraiso on Big Corn Island was the location that immediately came to mind and it just seemed like a better and better idea the longer we thought about it. It spoke to our love of traveling and my deep connection to Nicaragua and it promised a more exciting and adventurous experience that could avoid so many of the annoying aspects of the US wedding industry. When we found out that Paraiso had experience hosting weddings and would gladly accommodate ours, we made sure our immediate family members were excited about the idea and we went for it.

From the fall of 2013 until the day of the wedding we worked with Nadeska Cuthbert at the hotel and she did such a phenomenal job. She took care of so many aspects of the wedding planning and kept in regular contact with us as we decided on catering, decorations, guest accommodations, venue layout and all the other pertinent details. She even helped arrange the local judge's participation and all of the paperwork necessary to legalize our out-of-country marriage. Nadeska was a joy to work with and was extremely professional. So much of the credit for our unbelievable wedding goes to her and her creativity, vision and attention to detail. Without her, planning our wedding from thousands of miles away would not have been possible!

Our wedding took place on July 6, 2013 and we ended up reserving the entire hotel for all of our wedding guests. We had 44 family members and friends attend and they all stayed at Paraiso and a couple neighboring places for about a week. The hotel's restaurant became our daily meet-up location to make plans over breakfast; reconnect, eat and hangout throughout the day; and drink and party well into the night. It also was our jumping off point for many different excursions--golf cart rentals, snorkeling, diving. We spent all the glorious sunsets out at the beach in front of Paraiso, swimming as a group amidst the tropical fish and shipwrecks. Ton, the owner, took such great care of our entire group the whole time and made sure everyone had the trip of a lifetime!

We had unseasonably sunny and dry days our entire trip except, of course, for our wedding day. We had torrential downpours all day long the big day and an outdoor ceremony and reception planned, but it didn't faze Nadeska, Ton or the other staff members. They worked on the fly to come up with alternate plans at the last minute and made sure we still had an amazing wedding that fit our initial vision. We had the ceremony on the beach in front of the hotel and the staff created a beautiful aisle woven out of local leaves and flowers and a gorgeous altar. They added a large tent over it all as well to make sure everyone stayed dry, but thankfully the rain subsided just in time. After the ceremony we took photos on the beach while our guests enjoyed drinks and appetizers back in the covered restaurant space. Then we had a delicious buffet-style lobster dinner and held the rest of the ceremony under the Buccaneer's rancho before partying and dancing the night away. We had an open bar with beer and rum and plugged an iPod into their sound system to serve as our DJ. The next morning we even had them do a buffet brunch for the whole group.

This really was such an incredible experience and we have Ton, Nadeska and everyone else at Hotel Paraiso to thank for making our dream destination wedding come true. It's hard to believe that 6 months have already passed since the wedding, but our family and friends still can't stop talking about what a great time they had!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite is the best and doesn't have any shared walls ;)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Whitmore Lake
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Just stayed there for 3 nights.The place is very unique in appearance and is nicely located.Really needs some updating. We stayed in one of the triple room buildings. There was no fan and there was a small air conditioner but I could see no way you could even begin to use it as it was so noisy. And no hot water, whats up with that it is 2014..And the internet was barely usable in restaurant and if you really needed to use it you had to hang just outside the office on top of the router. I think that the owners really need to sink some money into this place or it's going to loose all creditability.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bucklake1
Hastings on Hudson, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Very very friendly,helpful staff and good food. Kids fell in love with parrot and the Little Corn Island tour, expect for the ride over (rather bumpy with huge waves), was fantastic. Nice beach. Liked the hammocks to relax., Only bad thing was their pina colada was from a mix and there, with all that coconut and fresh pineapple it would have been nice to have some thing a bit less chemical,....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 6 January 2014

In December we stayed at Paraiso for almost 2weeks. We loved it. Joann and Ton were great hosts, very friendly and extremely helpful. ALL the staff, whether maintenance, restaurant, taxi drivers or front desk were so friendly and kind. We loved our stay. We ate many times in the restaurant which was great. Always fresh and very tasty. My favourite was the Thai soup! The rooms were cleaned everyday, we had air con which was great. One day I booked a hot stone massage with Joann which was awesome and very relaxing. All in all we had a fabulous stay, everyone was very kind and we'd go back in a second.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Devon1965
Pocahontas, Arkansas
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The restaurant at Paraiso Beach Hotel was wonderful, we ate coconut french toast and fresh fruit for breakfast and it was so good we came back later that afternoon and ate lunch there too! (amazing chicken tacos) The grounds were beautiful and the beach was nice for Big Corn (more rocky and less sandy that Little Corn. The only negative I have was that I scheduled a hot stone massage for my friend and a Swedish massage for myself at the same times and the staff seemed to be surprised when we showed up for our appointment time. They actually had to call my massage therapist who had to come all the way across the island. She finally made it an hour late and I only had time for a 30 minute session before catching the flight back to Managua. Other than that I was impressed my the facility.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Amazing experience. My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and can't wait to go back. Food was absolutely amazing - the Island Rice, the fish with Caribbean sauce, the lobster, the frito....was all perfectly made. I can't say enough great things about the staff - Imaura, Nadeska, Laura, Jeslania, Tom, Joan and of course Nike....are a family with one goal - to provide a great experience not only for the guests but because they love the island and want everyone to feel like welcomed. The ocean view was amazing. At the suggestion of the staff we had a few of our meals at the edge of the property just steps away from the ocean - absolutely amazing! The property is set up for exactly what the experience should be ...a getaway! No pools, no posh rooms - if I wanted that I'd have gone to some commercialized island like Aruba where I was just another guest. Here I know that the staff will remember me next time I visit. I commend that staff for their humanity, service and commitment to all they do. Where else can you go and have a dog follow you around town and sleep at your door as if you he'd known you for years? My only complaint is that they live too far from me and that I don't live there!!! Come here if you want an island experience, great food, fun and genuine staff and to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of the city. Just sit back and enjoy your time here. Do bring some mosquito repellent and sunblock.

I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Paraiso Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!