“Awesome Spot!!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Boston
“Awesome Spot!!”
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We stayed at Casa Canada from Feb 22 until March 4th. It was one of our most memorable vacations. We stayed in rooms 19 and 20 which were away from the pool and close to the ocean. The rooms were spotless and the cleaning service were prompt and curteous. Really nothing bad to say about the rooms at all. Hot water in the showers, AC, larger refrigerator and many other amenities. The food was very good. If your looking to have a quick bite and go, this island is not for yyou. Meals took a long time to come out of the kitchen.......I believe they make each meal to order. The food otherwise was very good. We went to Captain Morgans for dinner one night and the food was excellent but we waited over 2 hours for the food. You have to be patient, bring some cards, and drink a lot!!! The only draw back at the Casa Canada resturant were the fly's. They really need to do some fly controll....I'd suggest those fly strips!!
We went to Areanas beach pretty much every day. The beach was beautiful with great water to swim in. There were 3 resturants to chose from to have lunch. The staff at areanas were great...they also came out to the beach to take drink orders if you wanted. We ate at Martha's most days. The service, food and atmosphere were excellent. One day we took the boat over to Little Corn....the boat ride was pretty rough but fun. The island is absolutely beautiful. We are thinking about spending some time on little corn the next trip.
The staff at Casa Canada were all VERY friendly and couldn't be nicer. They all made a great effort to ensure a relaxing fun stay. Thanks Ebony and Gina for all of your help in making the reservations and the transfer to Managua!!!!
I would recommend Casa and the island to those that really are looking for a low key vacation without a lot of pressure and rush. If your looking for a "Ritz" type of atmosphere.....stay away!!!! This is a very laid back island in every respect. The natives could not have been nice and most accommodating.
The only complaint i do have and need to mention is the some of the "co-owners/owners" of Casa happened to be staying at the place while we were there. They were the most obnoxious people I've ever come across. They stayed in a room close to the kitchen and they had women coming and going which was very uncomfortable for the guests. They also spoke very loud, drank alot (not that we didn't but.....) I was just very surprised that the owners/investors would act this way. This should in no way sway your decision to stay here......I'm sure they are not there all the time....but thought I would add this so that the owners can reflect on how they may consider acting around guests.
Thanks again Casa Staff!!! See you again.

• Liked — Clean comfortable rooms with lots of ammenities
  • Disliked — Shower head needs to be fixed
  • Stayed February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We really liked our stay at Casa Canada. The only adverse thing that I had heard about the resort was that the service at the restaurant was among the slowest on the island. THAT ISN'T TRUE!! Breakfast comes with the room price & we found that we didn't have to wait very long at all & it was a very good breakfast. We had a couple of lunches there that were alright--noone on Big Corn really does a great sandwich, anyway. And the 1 dinner we had was very good. They have great fries!

As far as the room, it's very nicely laid out & was kept extremely clean. Infact, the whole place was spotless! And, if we needed something, we got it right away -- not the next day, which is what usually occurs in the Caribbean. We felt that we got value for the money. No, there isn't any beach, but there's a beautiful beach 5 min. walk away & the pool is beautiful. And having free use of the internet was a nice bonus! We would stay there again if we ever return.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Chester County, Pa.
Reviewed 24 February 2009

One didn't even stay there and the other doesn't like leather sofas.We were there for two weeks.

Casa Canada is the surest bet on the island. You won't see a rat. You have a security team patrolling the grounds. You have a secure safe in your room. The staff is wonderful and genuinely friendly and kind. The free breakfasts are top notch. The infinity pool.HBO.Fridge.The best doctor on the island is a personal friend of the owner we met , and on his cell phone....Those are powerful reasons why we were glad we stayed.

We're 50s and experienced travelers. We know how to fish and how to eat, and their Carib Snapper was the best snapper we've ever had .This from fishermen that in the old days used to catch 200lbs of fillets in the Tortugas and fly them back home and go through the James Beard Cookbook.

It is an excellent base of operations. When you go to Nicaragua, you are going to see poverty only surpassed in this hemisphere by Haiti. Practically none of the relief money given to Nicaragua finds it's way to an island that is not majority spanish-speaking.This side of the island is by far less crowded and is more upscale (on a very low scale) than any other area.It's where they put the school.

Our only complaint....poor wine selection.We only found one place with a selection of wines on the island...Paraiso, but we saw a rat at dinner. Worth noting is that there is an Italian woman the next house over (north) on the beach who will give you the best 50 minute massage that you have ever had for $25 US.

There is a wonderful beach towards Sally Peaches you can walk to. Just go to the cementary (sic) and you are there.At first it is tidal pools and rock, then as you walk northward turns into a beach where only trees wash up and not litter ??? finally a sandy cove. We called it "Tree Sisters" after Ira's(a native) boat moored there.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gopherbroke000
Paris, France
Reviewed 6 February 2009

Was in Corn Island to celebrate Christmas with my husband. We didn't stay at Casa Canada but we had dinner there and was very disappointed.

The grounds at Casa Canada looks really beautiful and clean but there isn't much of a beach here as it's too rocky and the waves at this part of the island tend to be too rough. There's an infinity pool to make up for the lack of beach though.

For dinner, my husband ordered the Christmas special, turkey with baked potatoes and other sides. The turkey was way over cooked and the meat was tough. My husband sent the dish back and we were not charged for that dish.

I ordered grilled fish and the fish was over cooked. I do not understand how being on an island, the chef do not know how to cook fish properly.

Red wine by the glass served here is icy cold. They keep all opened bottles in the fridge. I requested for room temperature red wine and was pleasantly surprised that they opened a new bottle for me.

The service here is good but food is shockingly poor. I will not eat here.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Life_on_the_Move
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 February 2009

My husband & I stayed at Casa Canada for 3 nights in January. Apparently, it's the best place to stay on Big Corn Island, which isn't saying much. I don't need luxury, but I like things to be clean. So, I am shocked to hear others say that the grounds were immaculate, and that the rooms were clean....I completely disagree.

The leather couches in our room, which I think are a horrible choice for the resort to begin with, were worn and peeling leather...the room was stuffy and smelt kind of mildewy. The place seemed out-dated, and didn't feel clean.

The "grounds" were not well-maintained either...the pool ladder was broken, lounge chairs were sparse, others were broken and worn...just seemed run-down.

Service was not anything to write home about either...on our last day the owner showed up, and the pool ladder got fixed. They also moved the monkey out of sight...guess the comments here prompted that, but he's still there...tucked away in the back corner on the neighboring property right behind room 20.

So yeah, people are going to tell you the place is a "steal for the price" and "it's the best place on Big Corn", but I really wouldn't recommend this place to others...

• Liked — The view & pool
  • Disliked — uncleanliness of rooms & property; poor service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Casa Canada is THE place to stay on Big Corn Island. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. Service was excellent. Our cabin (#20) was clean, spacious and just steps away from the ocean. The proximity to the ocean did make it a bit noisy but the sound of the crashing waves lulled me to sleep every night.
The hotel is right on the street so hailing a cab is very easy and you're only a $1/pp cab ride away from anywhere on the island. I worried that we would want to be on a sandy beach but we didn't miss it at all since the grounds were so pretty and the pool was refreshing. There is free wi-fi and a computer for guests to use.
What I loved- the beautiful setting, excellent service, having a mini fridge, having use of their computer, quality linens and towels, cable TV.
What I didn't love- water pressure in the shower was very light but at least it was warm water. I would have preferred a trash can with a lid since we were asked to not flush toilet paper. For some reason, the bathrooms at CC were the only bathrooms I found on BCI that asked you to not flush the TP. Regardless, I would return to Casa Canada in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Location and gorgeous setting
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I wanted to get a good look around the island, so I stayed at more than one hotel while there. I first stayed at Martha's B&B for 2 nights, then one night at Casa Canada. The hotel in general was nice (for Corn Island standards), but the service wasn't that great.

I was alone, so maybe the girls who were working at the restaurant didn't see dollar signs in their eyes when I ate & drank there since I didn't rack up large food bills.

My room was nice (room 20 I think) & it had a nice view when you step out (no windows at all, so you couldn't see the ocean from inside the room).

The pool was nice as well. Yes I do recommend staying here for a night or two, but I also recommend staying at other places on the other side of the island too.

*Note - yes they do have a monkey & yes the little crapper did bite me. I don't recommend touching the monkey at all. The monkey is not as nice as it looks...

Stayed March 2008
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Casa Canada? Share your experiences!